Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Offset RDS suggestions?

Personally, I would do a Valhalla Rukh mount: https://www.valhallatactical.com/ruk...-offset-mount/ and a Leupold Deltapoint Pro

Rukh mount because it's got adjustable offset and a couple different heights so I can match the height of my primary optic mount, and DP Pro because it has no controls on the left side, so I can place it where I like.

I like the Holosun ACSS Vulcan on the offset, I intentionally chose it as LPVOs can be difficult in non-standard positions and figured it’d help in those situations. Unfortunately I haven’t really been able to test that but the C1 with 35* offset mounts it perfectly with my Razor 1-10.

I’m also building the same optics setup on another gun but trying it at 1200. That was harder to find the eye box for when I toyed with my RMR at that placement so I will see if the Vulcan helps there as well, I don’t see why it wouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm looking at this right now and comparing two setups (I have both mounted on different rifles)
    * Gen 2 Razor 1-6x standalone
    * Arisaka offset with T1 + PA 3x Gen 2 microprism

Right now with some range time, leaning to the 2nd setup for simplicity, reliability, weight, and getting on target slightly faster at 1x. The extra 3x on the Razor is handy at the range, but not really necessary for me on a Civ/defensive rifle. The thing that takes getting used to with offset rifle, is working the offset RDS, which is new to me. Weighing the trade-off's of going with an offset setup like this on my rifles, versus sticking with a conventional standalone LPVO, or something like an inline RDS + flip magnifier.

Like to hear @Wake27 or others' thoughts on these trade-offs, for those who've been down this road and tried both.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    I'm looking at this right now and comparing two setups (I have both mounted on different rifles)
    * Gen 2 Razor 1-6x standalone
    * Arisaka offset with T1 + PA 3x Gen 2 microprism

Right now with some range time, leaning to the 2nd setup for simplicity, reliability, weight, and getting on target slightly faster at 1x. The extra 3x on the Razor is handy at the range, but not really necessary for me on a Civ/defensive rifle. The thing that takes getting used to with offset rifle, is working the offset RDS, which is new to me. Weighing the trade-off's of going with an offset setup like this on my rifles, versus sticking with a conventional standalone LPVO, or something like an inline RDS + flip magnifier.

Like to hear @Wake27 or others' thoughts on these trade-offs, for those who've been down this road and tried both.
    I have zero experience in the recent explosion of prisms paired with red dots. I’ve used an ACOG at work but that’s eh. I have a PA 1x micro prism on a gun but haven’t even been able to shoot it yet. So I have basically nothing there.

I love the LPVO. I took a private class on Monday with a sniper and PRS shooter and learned a ton plus was making pretty consistent hits to 450 on an 8” going and solid hits really to 600 on IPSC targets with a Razor 1-10. I’ve been pursing capability for my rifles for a little while and am really becoming happy with where it’s going. All of that said, the Razor 1-6 is why I started using an offset RDS. I ran through a lane and it was the one time I forgot to check the throw lever so I was at 6x when the buzzer sounded. It was the first time so I fumbled with trying to fight through it and throwing down to 1x. Around that time, I also struggled a bit to find the eye box when shooting under a VTAC. As good as the 1-6 Razor is, I don’t have a desire to run any LPVO by itself at the moment. Mounts are so good now that price and weight are the only notable factors when adding a dot to an LPVO and I’m ok compromising there.

Bottom line, my preference for most capable/do all rifle is LPVO plus dot. I’m happy enough with that setup that I haven’t felt the need to do the whole 3-5x prism plus dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by strow View Post
    What Holosun RDS would be a good option for a offset RDS on AR paired with a NX8 2.5-20x or similar? HE407 vs 507 vs 509T vs others?

Would the ACSS Vulcan reticle be an advantage over the regular circle and dot? Would an open or closed emitter be a better option?

It looks like the Arisaka 35-45d mount is well liked and reviewed.

Has anyone run an offset RDS on a boltgun with success?
    I am very happy using the 507K in this role. I found the RMR footprint mRDS optics stuck out too much. The slimmer profile of the 507K footprint is small but makes a difference in practice. Could also use the new EPS in this role as well

I had a 508t on an offset mount (arisaka). Worked really well paired with an acog. I've since moved on to a h1 on my primary rifle and a holosun micro clone on my back up rifle. Closed red dots are much easier to maintain in my opinion, I had to clean the 508t quite a bit to ensure nothing built up infront of the emitter

I still like 12:00 for versatility.

Sealed emitter would be my preference if buying today.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I’m currently running a Steiner P4Xi with the Arisaka 35 degree offset and a Holosun 507c. I’ve mounted it forward of the scope mount, so it aligns flush with the end of my scope. The 35 degree setup tucks really well and still provides an optimal field of view. It’s a really versatile setup.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    My preference would be a 12:00 mount right now, assuming you're not running a high-ish scope mount. If I ran an offset optic, I'd work hard to get the optic-to-barrel offset as vertical as possible.

and maybe I'm just clumsy, but stuff hanging off the side of the rifle just gets hung up on stuff. Heck running the rifle canted, I can get the mag hung up on a doorway.

eta: I no longer personally own an AR with a LPVO/MPVO anymore
    I like 12 o’clock but the height of the scope turret will determine whether 12 o clock is viable. Not much of an issue on capped turret LPVOs but on a scope with uncapped / target turrets they can block so much of the back up optic as to make it unusable.

One thing I learned recently training with 3 gun shooter Keith Garcia is canted offsets are uniquely useful when moving lateral towards your support side. you can short stock the rifle and use the offset sight much easier than trying to shoot 12 o’clock from the shoulder and it worked better for me (and others) than switching shoulders.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-25-2023 at 11:44 AM.

Name:  20230204_182138.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  50.7 KB

Acss acog and h1 4 moa on a arisaka offset.

User Tag List