Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 LR Host / Suppressor Combo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I personally don’t look at suppressors in that manner… spending X for can, tax, and host. Look at it as spending X for can and tax. Main reason, just because you buy one pistol for that can… it doesn’t mean that’s the only pistol you can use with it.

I picked up a Rugged Oculus, which is nice as it gives me a long and short configuration. I run it 99% of the time long, but it is nice to have options.

I have a few different hosts for it…

Main one for pests is my S&W M&P15-22 pistol. It has an 8” barrel, so you need to use subsonic for it to be “quiet.” But for a larger braced pistol with a red dot, it is very handy with the can.

My first threaded pistol was a Beretta Bobcat Covert. Small, without a lot of heft. Add in the can, it looks pretty bad ass. Only issue is sights… but I managed to acquire a CT grip for it that is brand new (and one with Beretta markings to boot). Should be here tomorrow, and cannot wait to put them on.

But having seen that movie Assassins, I really wanted a short barreled Ruger. I had a Ruger MK3 that my dad gave me, but didn’t want to cut the barrel since it has sentimental value. So, found a MK3 upper that I thought matched (stainless) and bought it. Getting it home, found out it wasn’t stainless… and someone just took a wire wheel to remove the finish. Had it threaded (JP Grips & Machine) and tried out the can… pretty awesome!

https://imgur.com/a/I9DLxAB

It should be coming back from CCR, after being plated. Once I get it back, putting on a Holosun 507C and should be good to go.

Regular .22 ammo won’t get supersonic with the shorter barrels, so zero issue with running CCI MiniMags… which is what is shot in that video.
    Man, how do you like your Volquartzen trigger?

The Ruger pistol I shot in the NFAtalk silencer testing that was awesome was similarly configured. Hogue grip, Volquartsen trigger, SWR Spectre. It honestly is what has me leaning that way.

Simplifying cleaning in the MKIV has been icing on the cake.

I don’t know that I’d go volquartsen, but nice to have that option.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Man, how do you like your Volquartzen trigger?

The Ruger pistol I shot in the NFAtalk silencer testing that was awesome was similarly configured. Hogue grip, Volquartsen trigger, SWR Spectre. It honestly is what has me leaning that way.

Simplifying cleaning in the MKIV has been icing on the cake.

I don’t know that I’d go volquartsen, but nice to have that option.
    I adjusted it with the threaded upper and Loctited the over-travel screw. The original upper, the trigger needs more travel to shoot. I have another trigger on order because I couldn’t get the screw freed on the current one. Will try both uppers the next time I attempt to get the trigger set.

I like it, but going to add their sear, hammer and disconnector. The hammer has the bushing to remove the magazine disconnect.

I get the whole “MK4s are easier to takedown,” but I also prefer the older designs. Pulling the magazine disconnect makes takedown A LOT easier. Not a hard design when you don’t need to keep putting in/taking out the magazine.

But I don’t like the extra space between the upper and the grip on the MK4. Add in a button directly above the web of your hand… I’d think that would be an easy place for gas to be directed when suppressed. To me, the interface between the upper and lower of the previous generations is superior in that regard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    The Mask is a great .22 can, but it isn't a monocore. It uses "standoffs" on the baffles to attempt to prevent them from sticking inside the tube.

I've had a Spectre II for about 7 years. It's a great can too. I also have an energetic Nyx Mod 2, which is also great (and substantially lighter than the Mask or Spectre).

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the available rimfire cans from the major manufacturers. I would get steel or titanium baffles because aluminum baffles always feel delicate when cleaning.

I've tried many different ways of cleaning, and I've settled on just spraying the baffles with solvent then giving a quick scrub with a brush. The baffles don't need to be "clean" for the can to work optimally.

A 22/45 MkIV is my primary pistol host. The super-easy take down if very handy for shooting suppressed. As to supersonic velocity and barrel length, it's very ammo, barrel, and atmospherics dependent. I've had some bulk pack that occasionally cracked in cold weather, but it's not something I've noticed regularly. I usually wear ears if shooting an extended amount with a .22 suppressed pistol anyways. It just doesn't approach the sound level (especially for the shooter) of shooting subs through a .22 bolt gun. Blowback operation means that chamber pop is inevitable with .22 semi-autos.
    I appreciate the insights on cleaning. I’m aware the mask isn’t monocore and honestly I’m glad (referencing lower FRP - if you go listen to Kevin Brittingham of Q’s podcast interview with Mike Pappas - Pappas acknowledges that is an issue).

I agree about stainless steel and I’m tracking with you on clean baffle types. The problem with the original spectre (and why Matt Pallet recommended a wooden dowel and they sold a pusher tool at the time) was you had to push the baffles out of the tube and if you went over 400-600 rounds it became an issue IIRC to get the baffles out of the suppressor. I mean the AAC Prodigy was the same, etc. except monocore.

What makes the Mask, Alpine, and 22 Sparrow (and potentially others rimfire cans) is you don’t have to worry about (seemingly - has this been your experience?) with disassembly periodically to ensure you can get the can apart.

Center fire cartridges are cleaner than rimfire (especially if you’re shooting unjacketed LRN’s for example).

What length barrel do you have on your Ruger 22/45 MKIV - I’m assuming the 4.4?

I don’t plan on shooting off a range often so I won’t have ear pro off when shooting. That’s another thing. I was like “Man, this is cool.” Then immediately like “I have no land or anywhere I won’t have other people shooting next to me” and that’s partially why I haven’t bought a suppressor in over a decade. So, I went to two silencer events and shot/listened to everything from .22 LR to a .50 BMG (AAC Cyclops) suppressed and I was okay with my decision. Also, the only gun that didn’t ring my ears was a .22 LR.

Also, part of the reason I’m dumping the buckmark honestly is port-pop. It’s not even a port on the Browning Buckmark - with the slide retracted it’s literally wide open on both sides. https://www.guns.com/firearms/handgu...7871&soldout=1

You add to that the increased back pressure from a suppressor and a blow back design. Then it’s louder and cycling faster than expected.

I didn’t buy the gun considering suppression almost 15 years ago. But, it is what it is. Thanks for your candidacy and time.
    God Bless,

Brandon

I apologize in advance for not directly answering your questions bullet by bullet. I will attempt to share experience that will hopefully be helpful to you. A little bit of relevant background: I grew up and worked for 15 years in the shop where Kevin started AAC. We're not best friends or anything, but I still "know" Kevin and he "knows" me. I share that just for the sake of atmospheric immersion.

Pistol:
    I always liked Buckmarks over Rugers for the open slide/ejection port design. Especially when shooting suppressed, things get dirty quick with a .22. So, I had a Buckmark Camper and gave it to a local smith to move the front sight back and thread the barrel. Front sight came back canted. Then I started shooting M&P's as my primary (this was like 2011) so I got the M&P22 (the full size, not the compact) as my .22 suppressor host. The sights were junk so I put a set of M&P sights on it (some fitting required). I shot the fool out of that gun. It was great. Then I got into dots and wanted to go full bore. Also, by 2012 I was shooting Glocks again so I cared a lot less about having the M&P crossover. I ended up picking up this 22/45 MKIII + Tac Sol from a buddy for a great deal. It came with a top rail mounted Burris Fastfire II. I ditched that and put an RM09 on a MaddMacs Precision plate. Then I sent the upper to Steve at Rose Action Sports to have a rail added under the barrel for mounting a light.

Suppressor:
    I got my AAC Element2 back in 2012 I think. Many still consider it the shortest, lightest, quietest rimfire can on the market and I agree. I wish I could get another. I'll probably end up with a Q El Camino or Erector, though. Kind of kicking the can because it's a waste of money just for the convenience of not having to unscrew the Element from one gun to put it on another. The Element is easy to disassemble and clean. I'd recommend a similar design. I've known a lot of dudes that get hung up on all the suppressor details and get caught up in analysis paralysis. Rob mentioned above not liking dedicated cans. I'm exactly the opposite. I sold my SDN-6 because it was longer and heavier than my M4-2000. I tend to like to set up a gun and leave it that way rather than using a suppressor as a modular device.

Anyway, this is absolute suppressed .22 Nirvana and I would encourage you toward a similar outcome, which it sounds like you're already headed towards:

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    I appreciate the insights on cleaning. I’m aware the mask isn’t monocore and honestly I’m glad (referencing lower FRP - if you go listen to Kevin Brittingham of Q’s podcast interview with Mike Pappas - Pappas acknowledges that is an issue).

I agree about stainless steel and I’m tracking with you on clean baffle types. The problem with the original spectre (and why Matt Pallet recommended a wooden dowel and they sold a pusher tool at the time) was you had to push the baffles out of the tube and if you went over 400-600 rounds it became an issue IIRC to get the baffles out of the suppressor. I mean the AAC Prodigy was the same, etc. except monocore.

What makes the Mask, Alpine, and 22 Sparrow (and potentially others rimfire cans) is you don’t have to worry about (seemingly - has this been your experience?) with disassembly periodically to ensure you can get the can apart.

Center fire cartridges are cleaner than rimfire (especially if you’re shooting unjacketed LRN’s for example).

What length barrel do you have on your Ruger 22/45 MKIV - I’m assuming the 4.4?

I don’t plan on shooting off a range often so I won’t have ear pro off when shooting. That’s another thing. I was like “Man, this is cool.” Then immediately like “I have no land or anywhere I won’t have other people shooting next to me” and that’s partially why I haven’t bought a suppressor in over a decade. So, I went to two silencer events and shot/listened to everything from .22 LR to a .50 BMG (AAC Cyclops) suppressed and I was okay with my decision. Also, the only gun that didn’t ring my ears was a .22 LR.

Also, part of the reason I’m dumping the buckmark honestly is port-pop. It’s not even a port on the Browning Buckmark - with the slide retracted it’s literally wide open on both sides. https://www.guns.com/firearms/handgu...7871&soldout=1

You add to that the increased back pressure from a suppressor and a blow back design. Then it’s louder and cycling faster than expected.

I didn’t buy the gun considering suppression almost 15 years ago. But, it is what it is. Thanks for your candidacy and time.
    The Spectre II has click together baffles, so they don't get stuck either. But, they are a bit of a pain to get apart when really dirty. I use something to push out the baffles on every .22 can I've ever disassembled, so I don't think that's really a big deal. My 22/45 is the 4.4 inch barrel "tactical" model. Since you were asking about optic mounting, I forgot to mention that the Lobos mounts for the Ruger pistols are an awesome way to mount a red dot.

Site Supporter
    I put the money down for a Dead Air Mask this afternoon. I’ll be scheduling sometime for fingerprinting and photographing of everyone in the trust next week.

I’ll be trading out the browning buckmark next.

Thanks for the input. I’m excited for this.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    What brand Ultrasonic cleaners are you guys using?

I’m thinking something between $100-200.

https://a.co/d/dfJ02k0

Add Simple green. Clean every 500-ish rounds?

What say ye?

https://youtu.be/sIVa99KxmZ0

Get some of these smooth jaw pliers as a pusher/etc.

ETA: Fixed the link to the ultrasonic cleaner.
    Last edited by BWT; 11-16-2022 at 02:25 PM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Alright, I have a question.

Alignment rods for a pistol suppressor. Is that over kill or do you guys use one?

This is checking for clearance with a pistol / suppressor (for those who don’t know). I have a .22 caliber cleaning rod I was thinking to use.

What’s the opinions of the masses here?
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Alright, I have a question.

Alignment rods for a pistol suppressor. Is that over kill or do you guys use one?

This is checking for clearance with a pistol / suppressor (for those who don’t know). I have a .22 caliber cleaning rod I was thinking to use.

What’s the opinions of the masses here?
    Maybe I'm courting Murphy, but I've never used one with two suppressors on 3 hosts, though one of those hosts was chambered in a smaller caliber than the can (223 through a 308 can).

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Maybe I'm courting Murphy, but I've never used one with two suppressors on 3 hosts, though one of those hosts was chambered in a smaller caliber than the can (223 through a 308 can).

Chris
    Good to know.

It’s those darn NFA times man. I have too much time to sit and think about it. I’ll just pretend it’s shipping from Mars or something.
    God Bless,

Brandon

User Tag List