Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22 LR Host / Suppressor Combo

I don’t suggest paying $60 for rods… there is a guy on one of the Form 1 suppressor forums that offers good rods for pretty cheap. Want to say like 6 rods for $60ish. I’ll be honest, I forget the forum.

At that price, zero reason not to check with a rod. I personally do it once on each setup to confirm threads are good. But if you have cans with different end caps… will help you confirm you aren’t launching a bigger slug thru a smaller can.

Might not be a huge issue with .22… but those threads are identical to 9mm. .22 can on a 9mm isn’t a fun scenario.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I don’t suggest paying $60 for rods… there is a guy on one of the Form 1 suppressor forums that offers good rods for pretty cheap. Want to say like 6 rods for $60ish. I’ll be honest, I forget the forum.

At that price, zero reason not to check with a rod. I personally do it once on each setup to confirm threads are good. But if you have cans with different end caps… will help you confirm you aren’t launching a bigger slug thru a smaller can.

Might not be a huge issue with .22… but those threads are identical to 9mm. .22 can on a 9mm isn’t a fun scenario.
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/A...rr-/20-496226/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...1/super-quiet/

8893K193 Tight-Tolerance Oil-Hardening O1 Tool Steel Rod, 0.2188″ Diameter, 3 Feet Long for 5.56/.223
    8893K191 Tight-Tolerance Multipurpose O1 Tool Steel Rod, 0.2120″ Diameter, 3 Feet Long for .22 LR
    8893K219 Tight-Tolerance Oil-Hardening O1 Tool Steel Rod, 0.2969″ Diameter, 3 Feet Long for 7.62/.308
    8893K231 Tight-Tolerance Oil-Hardening O1 Tool Steel Rod, 0.3438″ Diameter, 3 Feet Long for 9mm
    https://www.mcmaster.com/product/8893k191

Looks like 4-5$
    God Bless,

Brandon

I guess this is a bit of a hijack, but I am keen on the idea of the integrate suppressors, like the TacSol.
    I understand it is integrated, so obviously integrated to one gun, but are there other negatives? Seems like also not the cheap way to do things, but my mindset is that by the time I would be buying a stamp I might as well get a stamp for something nicer.

What really seems even more better would be a rifle version (or this one) that eliminates the second SBR stamp.

I know jack about this, but am just starting to get curious. At the same time I am less inclined to have a bunch of stuff, so I am not as adverse to having something dedicated as I maybe have been in the past.

A lot of people have complained about those not being straight.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I guess this is a bit of a hijack, but I am keen on the idea of the integrate suppressors, like the TacSol.
    I understand it is integrated, so obviously integrated to one gun, but are there other negatives? Seems like also not the cheap way to do things, but my mindset is that by the time I would be buying a stamp I might as well get a stamp for something nicer.

What really seems even more better would be a rifle version (or this one) that eliminates the second SBR stamp.

I know jack about this, but am just starting to get curious. At the same time I am less inclined to have a bunch of stuff, so I am not as adverse to having something dedicated as I maybe have been in the past.
    I’ll take a swing at why I wouldn’t get an integrally suppressed (of course this is my opinion - and I welcome this hijack).

I picked up my Ruger 22/45 MKIV last night. It points like a Glock and I’m happy.

Back to reasons I’d avoid integrally suppressed

1.) Transferability - you mention wanting to be a minimalist. Unfortunately given these are NFA items - it’s a huge pain to procure more. But, if you’re looking at this from a minimalist perspective - having a suppressor that you can suppress any host that’s threaded has huge benefits. Most people buy multi-caliber suppressors. I have a .22 WMR that I could have threaded and I may. I also am thinking about a S&W MP 15-22 at some point. I could put this Mask on either.

2.) Servicing - so every integral gun is going to be inherently unique. I will say specifically talking about Rimfires they’re really dirty. So, getting that apart and cleaning it may or may not be easy. It’s really going to depend on the designer and how much (or how little) forethought was put into that. Most pistol caliber and rimfire suppressors are user serviceable these days. A lot of integral guns I’ve seen are monocore and that can be difficult to disassemble and then clean with something such as an ultrasonic cleaner, etc.

3.) Performance - so atleast in rimfire I think there is such a high level of performance now that there are diminishing returns on performance. In the 90’s and early 00’s when there weren’t hearing safe (or considered hearing safe) .45 ACP suppressors, etc. in the 80’s-90’s things like wipes, barrel porting, integral suppression, etc. were more common because it seems baffle technology was more primitive with things like stamped baffles, etc. machining being so easy and so flexible and audio testing advancing so much we now have such better ideas about things.

One last note that I found interesting in an interview with Todd Magee (Lead Designer for Dead Air) - we always assume more baffles = more better. But, testing has not shown that to be the case. There was an interview he discussed this in. But I don’t recall which and it’s been weeks since I watched them. But it might be this one.

https://youtu.be/_ajB8Ea51xc

Demolition Ranch did a video with some Q silencers (the erector) where he was given 69 baffles and that didn’t prove that out. It’s no longer listed on his YouTube channel, but anyway.

Just my thoughts and I hope you take the plunge!
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    A lot of people have complained about those not being straight.
    Honestly.

I might just use a cleaning Rod and YOLO.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Thanks for this, it confirms what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I’ll take a swing at why I wouldn’t get an integrally suppressed (of course this is my opinion - and I welcome this hijack).

1.) Transferability
    Funny thing, my "minimalism" might be a bit backwards. I am more thinking that I probably do not need more than one thing suppressed, but the potential flaw in my theory is that I probably would actually want a 22LR rifle and a 22LR pistol suppressed, an obvious opportunity to use the same can. Even though I am mostly a pistol shooter I am most intrigued by doing a 10/22 with that Gentech, I just think that would be sweet in the Midwest Industries chassis I am in process on. While I am thinking about a suppressor, am a bit more reluctant about the SBR, and the integrated barrels keep the rifling short to keep velocities down a bit. Maybe then someday follow up a pistol, but of I have a suppressed rifle and a suppressed pistol, I figure I got the bases covered and am not as motivated to have a can I could move to a bunch of other hosts. Dunno, I might be FoS...

2.) Servicing
    I think both the Gentech and TacSol accommodate this pretty well.

Just my thoughts and I hope you take the plunge!
    I am moving closer to moving this from the "want" category to the "want now" category...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Thanks for this, it confirms what I was thinking.

Funny thing, my "minimalism" might be a bit backwards. I am more thinking that I probably do not need more than one thing suppressed, but the potential flaw in my theory is that I probably would actually want a 22LR rifle and a 22LR pistol suppressed, an obvious opportunity to use the same can. Even though I am mostly a pistol shooter I am most intrigued by doing a 10/22 with that Gentech, I just think that would be sweet in the Midwest Industries chassis I am in process on. While I am thinking about a suppressor, am a bit more reluctant about the SBR, and the integrated barrels keep the rifling short to keep velocities down a bit. Maybe then someday follow up a pistol, but of I have a suppressed rifle and a suppressed pistol, I figure I got the bases covered and am not as motivated to have a can I could move to a bunch of other hosts. Dunno, I might be FoS...

I think both the Gentech and TacSol accommodate this pretty well.

I am moving closer to moving this from the "want" category to the "want now" category...
    Well - no worries from my end. Think it over (I only took around 13 years to take the plunge… 2009 until 2022) and maybe go shoot some stuff if you have the chance and see where your priorities are.

I would advise shooting suppressed guns if you haven’t. That was actually underwhelming for me and thus I went the AR-15 route first.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Honestly.

I might just use a cleaning Rod and YOLO.
    You do you…

I paid $2,900 for my three suppressors/tax. That doesn’t include guns I had modified to accept suppressors (lived in NJ originally) nor all the upgrades I did to run the cans on my firearms. To argue $60 in rods that are straight isn’t a worthwhile investment to not cause easily preventable damage… again, you do you.

Site Supporter
    You do you…

I paid $2,900 for my three suppressors/tax. That doesn’t include guns I had modified to accept suppressors (lived in NJ originally) nor all the upgrades I did to run the cans on my firearms. To argue $60 in rods that are straight isn’t a worthwhile investment to not cause easily preventable damage… again, you do you.
    Alright - give me a link and I'll potentially re-consider my reckless abandon. $70 for a rod seems a bit steep. You have poo poo'd my cheap alternative. It's objective is to be straight and the right diameter. You know?

Thanks.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/supp...ent-check-rod/

$70.

https://www.amazon.com/Accuracy-Solu.../dp/B09LLRWGH8

$65.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...rod104864.aspx

$70.

You know guys used to just shine a light down the from the suppressor and if they didn't see the suppressor, baffles, etc. from within the barrel of the gun they considered it good.

Meanwhile this genius out here...

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/comment...d_data_points/

Just use a laser boresight and some clear plastic on the end of the suppressor. Way easier than rods.

Pro: You can also use the laser boresight for it's intended purpose to get your optics roughly sighted before heading to the range.
    I do already have one of these... I mean...
    God Bless,

Brandon

User Tag List