Thread: Crimson Trace J-Frame

Crimson Trace For J-Frame

Going to be purchasing another S&W J-Frame, my current J-Frame wears the Crimson Trace LG405 laser grips and they have worked out very well for pocket and ankle carry pulling BUG duty. I was looking at the LG305 from Crimson Trace and noticed it offers a slightly larger grip for the most or all of the shooters hand, depending on hand size. I was thinking a little more grip would aid in some accuracy, more so in qualification drills. I have not been able to compare a LG405 side by side to the large LG305. So, those of you with experience using the larger LG305, do you find it does not conceal as easily in a pocket or ankle rig with the slightly longer grip? Any info. would be great, I used the search and did not find anything, sorry if this comparison was covered before.

I had a pair of 305's and ended up giving them away. Impossible for pocket carry and a little tight for ankle, depending on the pants.
    They offer a shooting advantage, for sure, but for me, aren't worth the trade off.
    I actually went the other way and put 105's on mine. Much better concealment than the 405's and I shoot them just fine.

Cool, that's the input I was looking for.

I carry two 642s at work as my BUGs.

I started with the 305s as back then that was all they had. I had to be very careful what pockets I tried to carry those in off-duty.

Currently I have a 405 on the 642 in my left front pocket, 305 on my ankle gun.

From a pure shooting perspective I prefer the 305s, but the 405 is easier to deal with in pocket carry.

Shooting them both my analogy would be between shooting a stock G26 beside a G19 or a G26 with an extended magazine base pad.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 10-14-2013 at 12:22 PM.

My experiences are similar. I am currently carrying the LG405's on my EDC 442, and I have the LG105's too (stippled). I HAD the 305's but they are giant. In my opinion, they make a j-frame comparable in size and dimension to a G19, and thus don't really lend to the j frame's biggest strength, which is concealment.

Thus, I just roll the 405's (and the 105's) and call it good. If I had arthritis, or used a j frame as a dedicated house gun or SOLELY for AIWB, then the 305 would be a good choice.

tpd223 and Sherman- Thank you for the input, it is appreciated. Due to having a 405 on my 442 BUG, I'll keep it simple and roll with the 405's again. I already know the 405 with conceal well for me, just wanted some input from other end users. The analogy in regards to G19 and G26 grip lengths is a great comparison I had not thought of.
    Last edited by SmokeJumper; 06-09-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: grammar

Crimson Trace is still offering their $50 rebate til June 30th. http://www.crimsontrace.com/pdf/2011...ate-coupon.pdf

User Tag List