Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modifying kydex holsters?

Modifying kydex holsters?

I've got an MTAC and a Bladetech Nano for my G19. I always planned on buying a 26 that would of course fit those holsters, so of course I ended up with a 17 and now need a holster. Has anyone opened up the ends of a kydex holster to allow for a longer slide? What's the best way to go about it (dremel, file?) And are there any downsides to such a mod?
    I don't mind shelling out for new gear if it's necessary, but if it's not, there's always ammo to buy.

Heat gun to the end of it (and only the end). I would put a rag in the inside to keep the heat from getting up there, and probably some type of insulation on the parts you don't want to flatten out. As soon as it starts to soften, you can shove the gun in there, and work the Kydex around it until you are happy with it.

I would wear gloves, since it will be too hot to touch.

As always - I work with leather, so do this at your own risk

If you want the G19 ends to be completely covered I would heat gun the end and jam the G17 through. If you do not mind a small amount of G19 slide poking through just sand away until the larger gun fits.

Thanks guys. I'll have to decide if I can be trusted with a heat gun, otherwise I'll just file away.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll have to decide if I can be trusted with a heat gun, otherwise I'll just file away.
    It would be more money on your end, but if you wanted to send it to me I could do it for you.

I appreciate that but it's not worth the hassle. No doubt you could make it look better, but I think I can make it work.

Not real hard - I made a couple Kydex pieces without too much trouble on my first try.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    Not real hard - I made a couple Kydex pieces without too much trouble on my first try.
    Now that's funny.

Q: Mr. Mozart, I'm thinking of writing some music. What do you think?

A: I don't know, it always seemed pretty easy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Now that's funny.

Q: Mr. Mozart, I'm thinking of writing some music. What do you think?

A: I don't know, it always seemed pretty easy to me.

Although I appreciate the compliment - I am NO Mozart! I've only made a few pieces of plastic, so it isn't like I have had a lot of practice with it either

And you should see my early work (it is on the right)...

Looks good to me, but that's a really odd place to attach a mag pouch
    Just an update- couldn't round up a heat gun and was feeling too lazy to file or dremel. I ended up using the wife's super duper hair dryer. It got the kydex hot enough to push the 17 through, but not hot enough to really smooth out where the corner of the slide was molded. Anyway, it works fine, and they're IWB anyway so I'll clean them up when I get time.

User Tag List