Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22lr: CCI "Suppressor" vs "Standard Velocity"

22lr: CCI "Suppressor" vs "Standard Velocity"

I've got a drawer full of 22lr ammo, but really want to standardize on a load and buy a bunch of it. I found some Eley Club locally and thought that might be the load, but unfortunately it's proven unreliable in a few guns.

If I could find any CCI "Suppressor" (970 fps 45gr hollow point) that would be it. I've currently got the magazine of my "backyard pest eliminator" full of CCI Suppressor and have another box or two in the drawer, but I can't find anymore.

CCI "Standard Velocity" is readily available and inexpensive relative to the "Suppressor" load.

The "Suppressor" load is a bit quieter, so I prefer it for that reason and the HP bullet design.

Anyone else have any experience or other loads to tryout?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

CCI Quiet 22

The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

SV never lets me down. Norma Tac is good, too, just greasy/heavily waxed, but it is quiet and accurate.
    #RESIST

RWS Subsonic 40gr HP

Hard to beat the RWS subsonic 40gr hp.
    Quite, very accurate, and they expand on small animals.

I've got a bunch of Aguila 40 grain subsonic. I've only used it in my HK416 replica with a can and I had to tweak the recoil system a little to get it to run reliably, but it eventually did. Whisper quiet, but I can't speak to accuracy because I was just shooting at wet logs across my pond.

I did a sound comparison between the "Suppressor" and the "Standard Velocity" and they sound identical out of my 22/45, which is probably the primary use host. Guess I got my answer. Nice to be able to save a buck. I don't think the terminal performance difference matters much and certainly not enough to spend double the money.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Using a can with this? Or just out of the Ruger?

For me, if I put any bulk in my M&P15-22 (8” barrel), it is supersonic and somewhat loud with my can. I have to use subsonic ammo in that for it to be “quiet.”

I can toss CCI MiniMag in my two pistols (Beretta Bobcat and Ruger MK3 with like 2” barrel) and neither break the sound barrier. I keep the subsonic loads for the longer barrels for that reason.

.22 Long CB is another quiet option… even without a can.

Sub-Sonic HP 22 LR in the 100rd plastic packs isn't *quite* as quiet as the 45gr load from my suppressed bolt gun, but its plenty quiet. It's available direct from CCI, and I have seen it around other retailers online, and locally from time to time. It's a bit less expensive than the 45gr load, and in my guns, it's accurate.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfi...c_hp/6-56.html

ETA: Natchez has the 45gr Suppressor load in stock currently: https://www.natchezss.com/cci-22-sup...fps-50-ct.html

https://www.federalpremium.com/rimfi...-AE22SUP1.html

Bought a case of this a few months back. It’s still my favorite 45 gr .22LR load.

And since CCI & Federal are sister companies… 😏

What length test barrel is used to get the claimed 970 fps velocity? Is it a rifle or a pistol? Asking for a friend....

User Tag List