Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson missed opportunities

The poly bodyguard is a good idea and would be a great seller with interchangeable ameriglo front sights, and other options fiber optics etc., and some grip support, something like a boot grip to fill the void behind trigger guard, and some other caliber support, specifically a NINE round .22, .22 WMR, and .32. Oh and for God sakes please design the .32 to work reliably with .32 ACP as well!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Is there another revolver maker in Tennessee? (I got what you meant, I'm just being obtuse on purpose).

Smith & Wesson has an easy path forward.

Remove the lock from all designs. Afterall, after leaving Mass, why do they care anymore?

Eliminate the Airweight Line. Eliminate the Pro Line they suck anyways.

All J-frames will be Scandium J-Frames, in .22LR, .327 Mag, .38 Special, .357 Mag with steel cylinders, and proper rear front and rear Novak dovetail sights.

Rework the stupid Poly Bodyguard to not suck and it will now fill in the gap for all former Airweight J-frames.

Bring out a fixed sight K-Frame in .38 in 3-4-6" barrel lengths; Novak Sights

Bring out an adjustable sight L-Frame in .22LR and .357 in 3-4-6" barrel lengths.

Turn every x27 and x25 into a 327 (.357), 325 (.45ACP), 329 (9mm). All of them with a proper swappable rear sight that makes them low-mount optics ready. Barrel lengths 4-5-6"

Classic Line Model 10, 19, 27 and 25 in .38, .357, and .45LC in classic barrel lengths 2.5-3-4-6"

Keep the X-Frames, because only weirdos buy those anyways.

PC versions of each model with bobbed hammers, chamfered cylinders, factory trigger jobs, and a comprehensive multi-point factory QC inspection.
    And the 64/65/66? Anyway, my preference is for steel guns. I don't and anything with a Ti cylinder that requires babying.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    And the 64/65/66? Anyway, my preference is for steel guns. I don't and anything with a Ti cylinder that requires babying.
    686 handles stainless steel guns.

If Smith got around to incorporating modern finishes on their guns carbon steel could go back to being the proper material for steel guns.

Most of the 3xx series guns are Scandium frames with steel cylinders. TI cylinders should be a no.

686 handles stainless steel guns.

If Smith got around to incorporating modern finishes on their guns carbon steel could go back to being the proper material for steel guns.

Most of the 3xx series guns are Scandium frames with steel cylinders. TI cylinders should be a no.
    Really? There is a hell of a difference, IMO, between carrying a 686 and a 66.

One of the advantages of the 27/28 is that it's an all-steel gun shooting magnum ammunition. Why have a 327 over a 686, otherwise?

And as for shooting a 329... you can go first, professor.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    +1. I hardly ever carry my 681, but my K frames get lots of holster time.

Well...until you put on a 3" Colt King Cobra or D-Frame. Then you realize the K and L are both boat anchors.

One of the advantages of the 27/28 is that it's an all-steel gun shooting magnum ammunition. Why have a 327 over a 686, otherwise?
    You misspelled 'bunny fart Short Colts' as magnums. Most of the 627s sold currently are getting fed bunny fart loads in Revolver divisions. There is actually no compelling reason to keep the K-Frame in production when you drill down to it. Except folks get kind of verklempt if you talk about killing off the sacred cow.

I mis-typed here I mean a 389 - an 8-shot Scandium framed 9mm gun.

Keep the M29 as a Classic Line Gun.

Well...until you put on a 3" Colt King Cobra or D-Frame. Then you realize the K and L are both boat anchors.

You misspelled 'bunny fart Short Colts' as magnums. Most of the 627s sold currently are getting fed bunny fart loads in Revolver divisions. There is actually no compelling reason to keep the K-Frame in production when you drill down to it. Except folks get kind of verklempt if you talk about killing off the sacred cow.
    I have a 2” Colt. It’s a carry gun as in “don’t shoot it a lot.”

And you seem to be of the opinion that wheelgunners are gamers, only.

Site Supporter

All of this ^^^^

I have a 2” Colt. It’s a carry gun as in “don’t shoot it a lot.”

And you seem to be of the opinion that wheelgunners are gamers, only.
    Do we want to talk about fragile guns? How many rounds did you get through that brand new K-Frame before it broke?

A new 3" King Cobra isn't an old D-Frame.

No, plenty of people carry and shoot revolvers that aren't gamers. But N-Frames are gaming guns today.

ETA: But also, let's just be real. We have about thirty of these "Smith and Wesson Should" threads. And the important point is that Smith & Wesson - Won't.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 10-26-2022 at 07:45 PM.

User Tag List