Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver Ballistics: 38 Special+P vs. 9mm

Revolver Ballistics: 38 Special+P vs. 9mm

On my Instagram page, I had a thread about terminal ballistics compared from a 3 inch 38 Special revolver and a 3 inch 9mm revolver. I just so happened to have two basically identical 3 inch revolvers in those calibers, so off to the range I went. Here's the whole video, which is only 9.5 minutes long because I don't like to waste time:

Note: the bullet I identified as the Gold Dot initially in the gel was actually the V-Crown from a different angle that I didn't realize. When I pulled the bullets out I figured out where I went wrong. The 135gr +P 38 Special Gold Dot penetrated about 14 inches and expanded fully.

I was actually surprised at how well the 9mm rounds did until I remembered that a 3 inch revolver barrel has the same, if not more, rifled barrel length as a 4 inch semi-auto pistol.

Great job on that!

What's the name of your IG page?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Great job on that!

What's the name of your IG page?
    My user name is radicaleb - here's a link: https://www.instagram.com/radicaleb/

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I was actually surprised at how well the 9mm rounds did until I remembered that a 3 inch revolver barrel has the same, if not more, rifled barrel length as a 4 inch semi-auto pistol.
    ALMOST, a little less... and not even accounting for the forcing cone

Good video. The only recommendation I would make is a close-up of the projectiles, maybe on a piece of cardboard, labeled in sharpie.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Good video. The only recommendation I would make is a close-up of the projectiles, maybe on a piece of cardboard, labeled in sharpie.
    it's not a sharpie but 2/3 ain't bad

Name:  272CC9DA-DB8A-4BEB-B06B-C8A61A4152FE.jpg
Views: 2106
Size:  99.1 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 2.06.14 PM.jpg
Views: 2044
Size:  35.0 KB

My solution for when carrying a .38 is to hijack 9mm technology and shoot 147gr 9mm hsts
    6 rounds of hsts
    Name:  IMG_20220908_144333~2.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  110.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    My solution for when carrying a .38 is to hijack 9mm technology and shoot 147gr 9mm hsts
    6 rounds of hsts
    Seems like a good solution to me. The FBI did the same thing briefly with the Federal 147gr +P+ Hydra-Shok back in the early 90s

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    6 rounds of hsts
    Seems like a good solution to me. The FBI did the same thing briefly with the Federal 147gr +P+ Hydra-Shok back in the early 90s
    Federal could give us this anytime we want, but instead we got the .30 Super Carry.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Federal could give us this anytime we want, but instead we got the .30 Super Carry.
    And they wouldn't really have to invent anything new. The accuracy of .355 hsts are good in all my .38s/.357s

User Tag List