Thread: Medical question: k wire in finger

Medical question: k wire in finger

I had a surgery on my right pinky finger to fix a mallet finger injury. The surgeon used a single k wire through my first joint all the way to right before my middle joint. I have been having extreme anxiety about somehow bending the pin. I don't use the hand for anything but writing, getting dressed, and that's about it. Write was cleared by the doc.. I have a little rubber or plastic stopper on the exposed part of the wire.

So I guess my question is, how easy is it for one of these wires to bend? It's stainless steel, it is through a joint basically making the end of the finger umbendable. I was encouraged to bend the middle joint to keep it from getting stiff, so I guess that won't cause it to bend? Sorry for the ramble, been pretty anxious about it the past week that something could go wrong.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have no idea but those braided surgical can be pretty beefy. My guess is that you would be limited by pain with pressure on the wire WELL before you got close to the force required to bend it.

Just be careful with it. It'll come out sooner than you think

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I have no idea but those braided surgical can be pretty beefy. My guess is that you would be limited by pain with pressure on the wire WELL before you got close to the force required to bend it.

Thanks. I called my DR and he wants me to come in for an xray to ease my mind and make sure everything is good to go.

Name:  20221017_133712.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  25.0 KB
    Name:  20221010_090210.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  17.6 KB

Only one pin now. Top pin was taken out because the bone slipped after the first surgery. I've been careful, I think the first surgery failing has gotten into my head

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Name:  20221017_133712.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  25.0 KB
    Name:  20221010_090210.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  17.6 KB

Only one pin now. Top pin was taken out because the bone slipped after the first surgery. I've been careful, I think the first surgery failing has gotten into my head
    Ouch. Ortho stuff gives me the heebie jeebies.

Site Supporter
    Ouch. Ortho stuff gives me the heebie jeebies.
    Ortho-dontic especially < shiver >
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Ortho-dontic especially < shiver >
    Haha that too. I like when bones are in the right place, in once piece, anything different is not my cup of tea

I remember when they wheeled me in for my first ankle rebuild, and I looked around and noticed a Rubbermaid cart with the drills and stuff in the corner. I rolled my head to the doctor to ask why hospital maintenance left their tools in the room, and he asked the anesthesiologist to take me down right away - before I made the connection and freaked out.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List