Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1-CR123 EDC Flashlights

1-CR123 EDC Flashlights

I've been testing a new configuration that is intended for those who want a compact, lightweight EDC light that can operate on a single CR123 battery or a single 16340/18350 cell - the E1 18350 Flex.

The goal for this configuration was to create a light optimized for personal security ("tactical") use that can operate on a single CR123 battery, yet remain well-suited for everyday tasks. A lower price point was also a priority.

The head is a reflector design that uses a Nichia 319A neutral white, 80-CRI emitter to produce a smooth, 550-lumen beam with a moderate 4,700 candela hot spot. The head features regulated power input from 2.7 to 4.5 volts, so its 550 lumen output remains constant with either a CR123 or a Li-ion cell making this a true "dual fuel" light. Run time is approximately 40 minutes.

As with the other personal security models, I fit the E2T McClicky tailcap with a low profile medium press boot for superb control of momentary operation while minimizing unintentional clicks to constant on. Additionally, I now fit and assemble all lights to meet or exceed the IPX-7 standard (upgraded and/or additional O-rings), including an immersion test to one meter for 30 minutes.

Now that I've been carrying and using this light every day for the last few weeks, I've found it to be excellent for my everyday tasks as well. The smooth, neutral white high-CRI beam is easy on the eyes, renders colors accurately and is not so over-powering to be blinding for close range inside use, yet remains powerful enough for its intended purpose.

Considering the goals for this configuration, I am quite pleased with it. Thanks for taking a look!

Comparative Specifications

EDCLB Flex

• 550 Lumens | 4,700 cd
    • 3.68" AOL
    • 1-inch maximum diameter
    • 2.4 Ounces
    • Power source: (1) CR123; (1) 16340 Li-ion; (1) 18350 Li-ion

Surefire EDCL1-T

• 500 lumens | 7,600 cd
    • 4.5" AOL
    • 1.125" maximum diameter
    • 3.3 ounces
    • Power source: (1) CR123

Surefire E1B-MV BACKUP

• 400 lumens | 1,865 cd "Maxvision"
    • 3.9" AOL
    • 1.13" maximum diameter
    • 2.95 ounces

Streamlight PROTAC 1L

• 275 lumens | 5,100 cd
    • 3.35" AOL
    • 2.0 ounces
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA

300 lumens (high), 6400 cd
    4.25" AOL
    0.95" max diameter
    2.5 oz with CR123 battery
    Power source(s): 1 x CR123 *or* 1 x AA
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Thanks for adding that!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Thanks for adding that!
    No problem; it's my favorite affordable light, and just big enough to use as an impromptu impact device.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Looks like a nice setup for those wanting to use more commonly available cells or who want to be able to visit a big box store for CR123 if they find their cell drained while traveling in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Looks like a nice setup for those wanting to use more commonly available cells or who want to be able to visit a big box store for CR123 if they find their cell drained while traveling in the US.
    Yes. This model is specifically for those who want to run a single cell light on a CR123, and to have an offering at a lower price point.

But there are caveats, the big one being the performance left on the table: a single CR123 battery simply won't support the high output available with modern LED heads.

Another alternative for a single CR123 head is the Malkoff Bodyguard v.1, which provides 400 lumens on a CR123 and 700 lumens on a Li-ion cell. But since it's essentially the same price as the BGV2 which produces 1,000 lumens, one has to decide if being able to run their EDC light on a CR123 is worth the loss of performance. FWIW, the BGV2 will work with a single CR123, producing about 200 lumens - which is certainly enough output in a pinch.

The other caveat is that while the price point is lower for this model, the LF heads are not constructed in the same bullet proof-fashion as Malkoff heads. But then again neither are Surefire or Streamlight heads.

Malkoff heads on 1-cell LF E-series 18 mm bodies, powered by a Li-ion cell truly sets a high bar for performance, size and overall quality.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I've been testing a new configuration that is intended for those who want a compact, lightweight EDC light that can operate on a single CR123 battery or a single 16340/18350 cell - the E1 18350 Flex.

The goal for this configuration was to create a light optimized for personal security ("tactical") use that can operate on a single CR123 battery, yet remain well-suited for everyday tasks. A lower price point was also a priority.

The head is a reflector design that uses a Nichia 319A neutral white, 80-CRI emitter to produce a smooth, 550-lumen beam with a moderate 4,700 candela hot spot. The head features regulated power input from 2.7 to 4.5 volts, so its 550 lumen output remains constant with either a CR123 or a Li-ion cell making this a true "dual fuel" light. Run time is approximately 40 minutes.

As with the other personal security models, I fit the E2T McClicky tailcap with a low profile medium press boot for superb control of momentary operation while minimizing unintentional clicks to constant on. Additionally, I now fit and assemble all lights to meet or exceed the IPX-7 standard (upgraded and/or additional O-rings), including an immersion test to one meter for 30 minutes.

Now that I've been carrying and using this light every day for the last few weeks, I've found it to be excellent for my everyday tasks as well. The smooth, neutral white high-CRI beam is easy on the eyes, renders colors accurately and is not so over-powering to be blinding for close range inside use, yet remains powerful enough for its intended purpose.

Considering the goals for this configuration, I am quite pleased with it. Thanks for taking a look!

Comparative Specifications

EDCLB Flex

• 550 Lumens | 4,700 cd
    • 3.68" AOL
    • 2.4 Ounces
    • Power source: (1) CR123; (1) 16340 Li-ion; (1) 18350 Li-ion

Surefire EDCL1-T

• 500 lumens | 7,600 cd
    • 4.5" AOL
    • 1.125" maximum diameter
    • 3.3 ounces

Surefire E1B-MV BACKUP

• 400 lumens | 1,865 cd "Maxvision"
    • 3.9" AOL
    • 1.13" maximum diameter
    • 2.95 ounces

Streamlight PROTAC 1L

• 275 lumens | 5,100 cd
    • 3.35" AOL
    • 2.0 ounces
    You have a pic of the Flex in hand or next to something for size reference too?

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    You have a pic of the Flex in hand or next to something for size reference too?
    I do not, but the Flex is .14" shorter than the lights with Malkoff heads. Head diameter is the same;

Always searching for the right one.

This new set up is 550 only correct? Or does it drop down like the BG?

User Tag List