Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig 365 series reliability consensus….

I recall on a few podcasts, that Chuck had noticed issues when small autos as carried. As in not unloading carry ammo and reloading practice ammo but rather if you took the pistol straight from the holster with carry ammo still in and ran it, he seemed to notice they became a single shot and then malfunctioning on occasion. In the context it was lending praise to a snub as five for sure.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    I recall on a few podcasts, that Chuck had noticed issues when small autos as carried. As in not unloading carry ammo and reloading practice ammo but rather if you took the pistol straight from the holster with carry ammo still in and ran it, he seemed to notice they became a single shot and then malfunctioning on occasion. In the context it was lending praise to a snub as five for sure.
    Not specific to the 365, but when I retired I tried giving small guns a chance. A Kahr K9, a couple of .380s and a .32........ I'd already learned years before that small revolvers were a no go. Without exception, they all worked fine for me during the endgame: the actual shooting. However, when I incorporated drawing from the Holster, mag changes and everything that surrounded the actual shooting, things tended to go south pretty quickly. I think it's more about how I'm built rather than the guns, but it is what it is.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Not specific to the 365, but when I retired I tried giving small guns a chance. A Kahr K9, a couple of .380s and a .32........ I'd already learned years before that small revolvers were a no go. Without exception, they all worked fine for me during the endgame: the actual shooting. However, when I incorporated drawing from the Holster, mag changes and everything that surrounded the actual shooting, things tended to go south pretty quickly. I think it's more about how I'm built rather than the guns, but it is what it is.
    This is a great point. I think mouseguns require special care and training to operate reliably, yet the vast majority of mousegun owners are clueless about that. E.g. to reload my LCP1.2, I had to learn (and repeatedly practice) pressing against the front edge of the baseplate to seat the mag. With a full mag, that was the only way I could reliably get it to click in. My Kahr p380s cannot be reliably loaded by simply racking; you have to lock the slide back and release the slide lock after seating the mag (that's actually in the user manual).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Purchased a 365 XL MS about a year ago. At about 300 rds the trigger went dead, flopping loosely back and forth. Sent it back to SIG - CS was very good, fast response - and when returned was accompanied by a note that the trigger bar and spring had been replaced. They noted that they had test-fired the gun with Win 147 grain jhp. I've since put about 200 rds through it and no more problems. Given the overall good rep the guns have, I've begun carrying it again. It shoots fmjs and jhps equally well. It's currently loaded with Win RA9T, which shoots to the sights.

My only gripe about the gun is that it's easy to press down inadvertently on the slide release and cause an FTLB. This is a user issue that just requires a slight grip change, some focus and practice. Size-wise the gun's just about perfect for me and my hands; big enough to get ahold of, but small enough to conceal well. It's the only SIG I own, except for Mrs. Shades' P6, which I'm forbidden from playing with because, you know, it's hers!

I've got 2 XL's. The first broke a trigger return spring at about 7,500 rounds. Sig CS fixed and returned it quickly. About 1,000 through it since with no problems. Second at about 2,500 rounds and has been perfect so far.

The issues noted in this thread alone are enough for me to steer clear.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

We have a handful of p365xl and p365xl.macro

My training gun has had some failure to extract with tula ammo when it gets hot (to be fair because it is a dedicated training gun it has also not been cleaned in the last 900 or so rounds, primarily steel). It does not have any issues with brass. It has a true precision xl barrel not an oem sig (my wife's doesn't have this issue).

One of my wife's had a mag feeling issue with 10 round xl mag but went away once that mag was tossed.

I am generally a sig hater (ahem dislike the p320 series) but they did a great job on the p365 series imo

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    I don't have a 365, but I've carried many pocket autos over the years. At least one of them would let the mag button depress releasing the mag. Standard practice for me was to press on the bottom of the mag from time to time to check it.

When practicing with a pocket gun, I like to just draw it from my pocket and run a drill with the carry load that is in the gun at the time. I would have a problem often enough to be a worry.

I now pocket carry J-Frame size revolvers and figure that I need to solve any problem with whatever is in the gun. I carry a speed loader and a speed strip but I don't fool myself.

Site Supporter
    I have 3 365s and 3 XLs from my manual safety experiment. Mine were reliable enough for your typical buyer. But I had some feed ramp nosedives with HPs. Also when you would dry fire and then engage the safety, a few of them would do one thing (lock up the slide completely) and a few of them would not. That variance in function, along with the cloud of 320 gave me the icks and I went back to 19/26/42.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The question is whether Chuck meant the 365 is less reliable than a full size service pistol, or unreliable compared to other slimline pistols. Slimline pistols generally have short slides and cram many cartridges into a small magazine, both of which can cause reliability issues. My experience with many 365 family pistols, owned by me and friends, is that the 365 is reliable by slimline standards, and maybe even by service pistol standards.
    Just to be clear, what do you consider the slim line standards to be vs. service pistol standards?

I'm thinking standards for a EDC weapon, not just a training/gaming/range weapon.

Thanks.

User Tag List