Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Powders

For 9mm I like True Blue or BE-86. I have not had any issues finding loads with both of these powders for a variety of bullets.

I have a lot of True Blue, so I have been using it extensively for 9mm and using my less bountiful supply of BE-86 for .40 S&W.

I'll echo BE-86 and N-320. If I could have only one powder to load handgun rounds it would be BE-86 without even batting an eye.

I'm needing another batch of powder myself as I'm fixing to break my reloading gear out of storage. Pricing BE-86 and VV powders as single pounds on Powder Valley just yesterday, they have narrowed the pricing ratio considerably. I'm now considering N-320 for gamer GSSF loads. I have an 8lb keg of Titegroup that I just hate to load because it's so damn dirty, but it performs extremely well so I'll probably burn that up first. No way would I stock up on it for suppressor use. Many other options that are cleaner and cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I'm still working through 16# of Titegroup before I break into my reserve of n320
    I’m still on my #HillaryPanicBuy Titegroup stash. I…might have gone pretty big on components between Sandy Hook and the 2016 election.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’m still on my #HillaryPanicBuy Titegroup stash. I…might have gone pretty big on components between Sandy Hook and the 2016 election.
    Same
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I purchased some Titegroup "just in case" during those years as well. I figured with how little is used, Titegroup was a good choice to give en effective ratio for number of rounds per 1 lb bottle vs. space occupied in storage. Or something like that.

I haven't gotten around to using it, because I discovered True Blue, and for a while I was buying that by the 4 lb bottle.

I haven't tried an extensive list of powders in 9mm, but in my experience it seems like there are plenty of different powders that will at least work adequately if not quite well.

I continue with locally available powders for my loads of 147 grain RMR or Bayou Bullets using Auto Comp, HS-6 or CFEPistol. The only powder issue I’ve had has been trying to use Alliant’s Power Pistol….too flaky and doesn’t play nice with the Hornady LNL metering system.

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Site Supporter
    4.2 grains of TG under a 125-grain Zero JHP was a sub-2" @ 25-yard load in my CZ-75B, and it wasn't that dirty or smoky with bullets without exposed-lead bases. Just a data point for those of you with lots of TG stashed away.

Site Supporter
    I've used about a dozen different powders for 9mm, and many work very well. I have never tried a powder with a quality bullet that I thought "I don't like this, and it's impacting my ability to practice." That being said, my current powder I'm using is Silhouette, and I am very happy with it. I like that I can easily duplicate 147 HST velocities within book loads, it really does well with a 147 in the 1000-1100 FPS range. I also like that Ramshot gives you +p load data (also 5.56 load data). I certainly am not loading that hot all the time, but I appreciate that they give you the numbers so you don't have to guess about going over max. Even loading 124s with lighter charges it works well. Metering is no issue, overall it's been a great powder but, so have half a dozen other options.

I've been using WSF with 147's lately. Happy with it.

I've used AA #7 in the past with jacket 147's and had really good accuracy results... but you'll burn more of this powder to get there. 7ish grains under a 147 vs something like 3-4 grains of most pistol powders. It is supposed to be "gassy" and work comps well, which may not be helpful for sound suppression.

Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    That being said, my current powder I'm using is Silhouette, and I am very happy with it. I like that I can easily duplicate 147 HST velocities within book loads, it really does well with a 147 in the 1000-1100 FPS range.
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I've been using WSF with 147's lately. Happy with it.
    It is an obscure one, but I have loaded a great deal of Longshot. I used it a bunch in 40S&W because I like the slow pressure curve but now that I have switched over to 147g 9mm I like that only 4.5g gets me essentially the same velocity of G2. I also think it meters very well. I backed into this from buying 8 pounds one time for heavy 12g and realized I would no way in hell ever use that up in 12g and started using it for pistol, maybe 24-32 pounds ago.

User Tag List