Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Powders

I've heard a lot of good things about True Blue.
    #RESIST

Just to throw a wrench into the discussion. I was doing some reading on BEnos forums a few years ago, and read an article linked there that claimed with identical cases, primers, bullets and MUZZLE VELOCITIES, a great deal of difference in felt recoil between pistol powders was attributed to the weight of the powder charge itself. A 3.3gr load of a fast powder driving a 124gr bullet at 1050fps would have slightly less recoil than a 4.5gr load of a slower powder driving the same bullet to 1050fps.

That said, I used to really like Hodgdon Clays for 9mm and 45. More of a “push” than a “snap” felt recoil. Sounded different too. Due to availability 6-9 years ago, I switched to Titegroup and ETR-7. I think I have enough of that for quite some time. I’ll run out of bullets and small pistol primers before I run out of powder.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’m still on my #HillaryPanicBuy Titegroup stash. I…might have gone pretty big on components between Sandy Hook and the 2016 election.
    I did too, but I shot it all.

This stupid sport/hobby is just too damn expensive.

Site Supporter
    Still have a ton of WST, so I'll probably be shooting 38 special and 45 auto til the next decade.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I did too, but I shot it all.

I cannot even ponder what I've spent on this sport/hobby and I don't want to.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    It is an obscure one, but I have loaded a great deal of Longshot. I used it a bunch in 40S&W because I like the slow pressure curve but now that I have switched over to 147g 9mm I like that only 4.5g gets me essentially the same velocity of G2. I also think it meters very well. I backed into this from buying 8 pounds one time for heavy 12g and realized I would no way in hell ever use that up in 12g and started using it for pistol, maybe 24-32 pounds ago.
    Re: Longshot, aka Loudshot: I was shooting a nighttime IDPA match years ago using my M681 and a good dose of Longshot under a 158-grain JHP. After one stage, the following conversation took place:

Him: "Man, that's some LOUD ammo!"
    Me: "You should've been wearing your ears."
    Him: "I was wearing my ears!"

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Re: Longshot, aka Loudshot: I was shooting a nighttime IDPA match years ago using my M681 and a good dose of Longshot under a 158-grain JHP. After one stage, the following conversation took place:

I remember you mentioned that. I have loaded it for a myself and several others and don't seem to notice a significant difference. Though this is almost always outside (I really do not like to shoot indoors much), but maybe the major factor is maybe I just cannot hear all that well anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I cannot even ponder what I've spent on this sport/hobby and I don't want to.
    Well, at just a dollar a day that would be about $25k, pretty sure I have spent at least two dollars a day...

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post

Originally I think Longshot was marketed to the Annie Oakley long range shotgun crowd or maybe turkey hunters, not sure. They shoot AO at my local range once a week in the evening for money. At least I think they still do because it was popular.

Longshot came on the scene 15-20 years ago and the people I used to shoot with discovered it for moving 1 1/4 oz loads at about 1300 fps. That gives one a great advantage at 40-50 yds. The tremendous muzzle blast was almost unbearable shooting 5 feet from someone. Are you shooting Longshot became a standard question people would ask before lining up. You did not want to be around someone that used it.

Now it's been discovered for pistol ammo.

https://youtu.be/Yy4P2yBmX38
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I moved from Titegroup to N330/N340 and see no reason to switch back. N340 burns a lot cooler than TG and is more accurate and a little cleaner. Recoil is slightly more, but still low for 135 PF type ammo.

Have WSF as a backup and that has more gas to run my foray into compensated guns.

User Tag List