Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Powders

Pistol Powders

Right now I have some Titegroup and some CFE Pistol although I've not opened the CFE Pistol yet.

My primary pistol loads are 9mm 124 grain and 147 grain RMR bullets, the latter subsonic. I also shoot suppressed a lot. To a much less extent I shoot 45 ACP. I am not that concerned with .45 ammo so primarily 9mm.

I would prefer something that meters really well and hopefully burns pretty clean.

With the sky being the limit of any brand of powder out there, what are some of the better options (including but not limited to the ones I mentioned above)?

I have some other rifle powders that I want to buy, but I want to get the best bang for my buck on HAZMAT so I am thinking of filling out the order with something I will use and can experiment on.

VV N-320 is my favorite 9mm powder.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Most of my 9mm reloads were made with Unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    VV N-320 is my favorite 9mm powder.
    I just looked that one up as I have never used it before. The max load for a 124 grain shows a velocity of 1070 fps. This is very similar to Titegroup on a velocity basis. The Hodgon website shows 124 grain with the same barrel length getting 1069 fps and 1057 fps depending on the bullet.

CFE is higher velocity by up to 100fps (+-).

What is it about that specific powder that you like so much?

Quote Originally Posted by ACP230 View Post
    Most of my 9mm reloads were made with Unique.
    Isn't that a flake type powder? I used to use a flake powder for years. I had a couple of kegs of the stuff so it took a while to go through. My only concern with that one is how it meters.

BE-86: it's replaced nearly all of my other pistol powders.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    BE-86: it's replaced nearly all of my other pistol powders.
    Expound on that for me. What about that powder do you like?

I am curious about the VV powders but they are nearly 2x the price of other powders on a pound for pound basis.

I've never heard of BE-86 though. What's great about it? (In your opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Expound on that for me. What about that powder do you like?

I am curious about the VV powders but they are nearly 2x the price of other powders on a pound for pound basis.

I've never heard of BE-86 though. What's great about it? (In your opinion)
    Alliant BE-86: burns cleaner than Unique or Bullseye. Meters much more consistently than Unique. It's a derivative of Bullseye(hence the "BE"), much like Power Pistol (the internal company designation of which is BE-84). It's very similar to PP, but not identical, with flash suppressants added. So, you don't get the excessive blast and flash of PP. Doesn't burn as hot as Titegroup. Cheaper than the VV powders, which are excellent, but their price puts them on the losing side of the juice/squeeze ratio.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I am just perusing online and based ONLY on velocity Winchester 572 also looks interesting. It gives the highest velocities of all the 9mm powders with a 124 grain bullet.

Keep in mind that what I ultimately pick will also need to be in stock

That said I am curious about such things.

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I just looked that one up as I have never used it before. The max load for a 124 grain shows a velocity of 1070 fps. This is very similar to Titegroup on a velocity basis. The Hodgon website shows 124 grain with the same barrel length getting 1069 fps and 1057 fps depending on the bullet.

CFE is higher velocity by up to 100fps (+-).

What is it about that specific powder that you like so much?
    N320 is clean, not smoky or hot, has a soft recoil impulse, and is relatively temperature insensitive. It also takes up too much room to double charge a 9mm case.

Velocity is not important for me because all I need to do is make minor PF for uspsa.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List