Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Ops Two-day LPVO class

Green Ops Two-day LPVO class

AAR: Green Ops 2-day LPVO class (June 11-12, 2022)
    Level: High intermediate to Advanced.
    Duration: Two days, 9 AM to 4PM
    Weather: HOT! 108-109 degrees Fahrenheit both days.

Primary Instructor
    Chris Alvarez (Chris Alvarez — Green Ops (green-ops.com)),
    Assistant Instructors
    Mike Green (Micheal Green — Green Ops (green-ops.com))
    Jose G (Jose G — Green Ops (green-ops.com))
    Matt M (Matt M — Green Ops (green-ops.com)). Matt was AI for day 1 only.
    Photo of instructors: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9RT...EQfzw?e=uKK3K2

ABBREVIATIONS in this AAR: Low Power Variable Optic (LPVO), Green Ops (GO), Green Ops Instructor (GOI), Limit of Advancement (LOA), Offset RDS (ORDS), Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR), Positive Identification (PID).

STUDENTS: Fifteen students of varied backgrounds: San Antonio PD/SWAT, Constable, Engineer, Federal LE, Physician, IT, and 2A Industry folks, which included staff from Big Tex Ordnance, Magpul, and Sons of Liberty Gun Works (SOLGW). Every student was from Texas.

COMMUNICATION: there was excellent communication from Green Ops. We received emails nine days before class with handouts, online waivers, and reminders on preparations. I emailed them several times before class and they were promptly responsive.

ENVIRONMENT: This was a private range in Pleasanton with multiple bays of 40-50 yards in length, and one range out to 500 yds. GO had coolers at each bay with ice water and plenty of shaded canopies. The GOI were very thoughtful, especially Chris in making sure that we had adequate breaks, plenty of shade, and cold water. This was much appreciated given the 109-degree temperature.

EQUIPMENT: Primary rifle was 16-inch LWRC DI upper on POF lower. LPVO on primary was Trijicon VCOG 1-8x MRAD reticle FFP with an ORDS (Holosun 509T) on an Arisaka mount. Secondary rifle was an ADM 13.9 upper (pinned Surefire Warcomp) on an ADM lower. LPVO on secondary was Leupold 1-6X FFP Mk6 with CMR-W MRAD reticle. (photos https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9RY...fpY3Q?e=NdJCl3) and ORDS was a Primary Arms SLx micro red dot. Ammunition was 223 Wolf Steelcase FMJ 55 gr and Hornady 5.56 M193 55 gr. My cheap WOLF steelcase was perfect for the CQB portion. I used the more expensive M193 5.56 for the longer-range portion. I would recommend this strategy for future attendees as it will save you on the more expensive ammo.
    Both rifles were zeroed at 50 yds using the 5.56 ammo.

INTRODUCTION:
    This is a two-day class focusing on practical applications of the LPVO. Previously, GO had one-day LPVO courses and it was so well received that their students requested a two-day version. Our class was the inaugural two-day version.

Day One

After introductions, briefings on medical and safety, we spent an hour on didactics. The history, development, and applications of the LPVO and Zero distances were discussed. The instructors favored the 50-yard zero but stressed that the perfect zero does not exist. The 50/200 is the sweet spot between CQB distances and 200-300 yrds. The 100 yard zero is best for hunting and longer ranges. Your zero will also change with barrel length. For example, a 50/200 yd zero will have different POI with a 16 in barrel than a 10.5 in barrel. Bottom line: the best zero is the one you train with and know offsets at different distances.

Per GOI, the primary role of the LPVO is for observation and ranging. In that role, it can PID a potential threat up to 200 yds (clearly see target, clothing, hands, weapon). Beyond 200 yds, PID becomes more difficult and the LPVO becomes more observational. A LPVO does not make your rifle a DMR. This was confirmed with my 1-8X optic. Although I could see and hit a target at 500 yds, I sure could not PID the target definitively.

Offset RDS: GOI were not fans of these. They felt that they added extra weight, were snag hazards, had inconsistent POI due to the varying angles when shooting and added little to your capabilities. For CQB, their position is that an LPVO at 3X is sufficient if you train with it and an ORDS is superfluous. However, if you do use an ORDS, they recommended a 25 yard zero. We practiced multiple drills with my LPVO at 3X at CQB distances. I had a very difficult time adjusting. Until I train more with close engagements at 3X, I will be keeping my ORDS.

Following didactics, we split into two groups, Red and Blue. Chris and Mike took turns demonstrating their “getting ready” sequence and proper positioning for zeroing your rifles. Each team then took turns confirming zeroes. A few students needed fine tuning. After zeroing, the Red team (mine) went with Chris and Mike for CQB and Blue team went with Jose and Matt for long range.

Red Team/CQB:
    Using our LPVO, we did standard drills shooting from low ready, high ready, shooting while moving forward, and lateral right to left, then left to right. We then practiced support side shooting, barricade work with standing, kneeling, strong side, support side. GOI are advocates of “safety on” during reloads and whenever sights are not on target.

For most of the drills, we used both 1X and then 3X. Chris organized a barricade competition within the red team. There were two VTAC barricades with a reduced size steel target 40 yds down range. Starting from the 50 and on the start, one person would run to the left barricade and the other to the right. You had to hit the steel two times standing and two times kneeling on each side of your barricade. Winner was whoever got their hits first. The winner of each round would then face off in a process of elimination.

Breaks were frequent given the heat. Chris was quite considerate, moving the shaded canopies here and there so that the students could rest under the shade.

At 1430, red and blue teams switched. On the long range with Jose, we partnered up and created range cards for the targets that we were to shoot later. https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9Rj...6uALg?e=F7MZZH This range card corresponded to these targets: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9RU...u-zfg?e=5BJgeT Jose recommended that we create range cards for our neighborhood as well. A range card is a diagram that consists of known set landmarks in a specific area with ranged distances. The neighborhood mailbox, for example, 30 yards from front door. The lamp post- 50 yards away, the nearest visible stop sign, 250 yds away etc. A competition ensued where each shooter had to hit four steel targets ranging 95-180 yds away from barricade (standing, kneeling, prone was shooter’s choice). One target was in the passenger seat of a truck, and another was partially hidden at the tailgate. By sheer luck I had the fastest time at 11.8 sec with barricade supported kneeling and using the VCOG 1-8x (I was at 3x).

Red and blue teams came back together and debriefed. We ended the day at around 1600.

Day Two

Class began at 0900 but I came at 0700 to zero my Leupold. Arriving early gave me an appreciation into the dedication of Chris, our primary instructor, and the GO team. I was helping him set up the target arrays and learned that he was at the range 2 days prior to plan the training and prep the equipment. During the two days, Chris and the GO team were always making sure that we had shade, hydration, and plenty of time to ask questions.

Day two for the red team was a continuation of long-range training with Jose. We finished the process of making range cards for eleven steel targets ranging from 95 yds to 500 yds. Some targets were partially covered while others were freestanding downrange. Under time and in a barricade position of their choice, each person had one go at shooting the eleven targets. Some were standing, others kneeling, and I was prone. Using my VCOG 1-8x, I made first hits on every target from 95 to 500. Then, for unclear reasons, I missed eight times on the 462-yard target. Unfortunately, we each only had one run.

A lunch break followed and both teams rejoined for some performance rifle shooting. Chris had set up an exercise with three stages that involved small target steel, target acquisition and transitions, shooting while moving, and shot calling. Scoring was loose as anywhere on the cardboard counted as a hit. Each student had two runs through the exercise. Chris instructed us to run the drill once on 3X and second run on 1X with our LPVOs. I was noticeably slower on 3X. This was one of my runs: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9RD...7e-Og?e=gPybNU

The culmination exercise completed the day. We went back to the long range with the 11 steel targets. Chris and Jose set up additional IDPA targets with T-shirts with some behind cover. Students were paired into two-man teams and we all started on the far right. On the sound of “threat”, each team ran to a large wooden spool table and engaged frontal targets. One person would then move to a far-left barricade while the other provided suppressive cover. The right person would then move. A GOI accompanied each shooter as they ran the course. It was an exercise of shoot, move, and communicate. The LOA, or Limit of Advancement was the truck in this photo ( https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9Qo...hc9vA?e=x7FmMP ) where each person rejoined and engaged the steel targets beyond the truck. Each team had two runs. Jose and Chris demonstrated the drill first in this video (https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9Q_...ZpORg?e=bQCZZ5 ). Mike Green and Chris ran alongside each shooter, ensuring they were safe and giving them advice as needed.
    This was another team running the exercise https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9RM...-YNZg?e=kWFaRr . The big epiphany for me was when I reached the LOA at the truck. I needed to change locations for better angles of firing and to avoid being a stationary target. My most embarrassing moment was when I was firing behind the hood. My rounds kept hitting the hood with my offset but I did not even realize it.

After all the runs, we all pitched in to disassemble the targets and police the range. A debriefing followed and everyone got goodies from Magpul, Sons of Liberty Gun Works, and Big Tex Ordnance.

Most of my training is pistol-related so I enjoyed this class immensely. What I learned:
    1. My VCOG 1-8x is a better LPVO than the Leupold MK6. The VCOG has more light transmission, a finer reticle, better daytime illumination daytime, and a more generous eye relief and eyebox. The reticle is also finer and did not obstruct the target like the Leupold.
    2. In defensive applications, an LPVO is more for observation at distance rather than shooting at distance due to difficulty with PID. Effective PID requires that you can see the target, know who it is, what they have in their hands, and if they are a threat. GO instructors felt that you can use an LPVO to PID up to 200 yds but rarely beyond. Beyond this, an LPVO enables you to “see” a target, but not necessarily the details that will qualify it as a threat.
    3. In performance/competition applications, an LPVO can certainly facilitate engagement of targets 500+ yards but the targets are pre-identified to shoot.
    4. Offset RDS (ORDS): I was surprised that GO did not recommend ORDS. They considered them extra weight, snag hazards, and unnecessary. Most people have ORDS for CQB engagements if their LPVO are on high power. GO instructors felt that with training, CQB sighting can be done effectively with the LPVO on 3X or higher. I will be keeping my ORDS.
    5. Support side shooting (switching shoulders and switching hands): Yes, you should train the technique but rarely will you use it in combat. None of the GOI ever recalled having to switch shoulders/hands during their many combat tours. Mike Green remembers ONE instance in which he switched shoulders but maintained firing control with his dominant hand.

BEST PARTS OF THIS CLASS
    1. The teacher: student ratio of 4 instructors for 15 students was incredible. This afforded incredible safety and personal instruction and attention.
    2. The care and attention of the staff. The instructors were very attentive to not only our learning but also our health. Chris especially moved the shaded canopies around throughout the day so that we could stay in the shade.
    3. Performing in 108–109-degree heat. This really tested my stamina, hydration, and equipment. The clothing was essential. My Crye combat pants were horrible in the heat. So were my Propper hot weather pants. Both seemed to trap the heat in. However, the Kryptek Sonora pant was perfect. It felt cool and breathable as well as protective.
    4. Classmates: having 14 shooters who were better than you were really motivated and inspired me. Everyone was team centric and did their best to help.
    5. Culmination exercise: I have never had an opportunity to do something like this. The exercise made you realize how strong or weak your fundamentals were. Ammo management, reloads, malfunction clearance, running and communicating with a partner, close distance and longer distance shooting, offset awareness, and situational awareness all came into play.
    6. Having the big boys from Magpul, Sons of liberty Gunworks, and Big Tex Ordnance in your class was quite fun. All the goodies they gave was certainly appreciated.

PARTS THAT NEED IMPROVEMENT
    1. More emphasis on intermediate range LPVO shooting. For most of us, having access to a 500-yard range is uncommon, which is why I think we should have spent more time on this than close-quarter applications with the LPVO. My red team had limited instruction/experience in the long-range portion. We each only had one run at the 100–500-yard targets and I wish we had more. I would have loved for example, more time to test my reticle and see what holds were needed for the different targets downrange. As it was with one run, I still am not sure what I did wrong or right. I think the Blue team had more time than we did because when it was our turn, one of the instructors for long-range had to leave early.
    2. Start Times: with 108-109-degree heat in the forecast, I think starting at 7AM would have been better for both days.

FINAL THOUGHTS
    As the inaugural 2-day LPVO class, I thought the GOI did a fantastic job in providing a safe, fun, and educational experience. All the instructors had incredible real-world pedigree and experience. They all had bragging rights but everyone was as down-to-earth and as nice as can be. Three days after the class, we all received a detailed email. Contained within were tips on training, resources online, standards, recommendations of other instructors, gear discounts, and a wealth of other information. This was first-class follow up and reflected that they really cared about your learning and improvement. I would take this class again in a heartbeat and I am certain that the GOI will make this class even better with each iteration.

Final eye candy: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9RJ...4jqWg?e=5Divdo

Thank you for the very detailed AAR! We’re glad that you chose to train with us and hope to see you on the range again soon!

Stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thn9mm View Post
    AAR: Green Ops 2-day LPVO class (June 11-12, 2022)
    Level: High intermediate to Advanced.
    Duration: Two days, 9 AM to 4PM
    Weather: HOT! 108-109 degrees Fahrenheit both days.

Primary Instructor
    Chris Alvarez (Chris Alvarez — Green Ops (green-ops.com)),
    Assistant Instructors
    Mike Green (Micheal Green — Green Ops (green-ops.com))
    Jose G (Jose G — Green Ops (green-ops.com))
    Matt M (Matt M — Green Ops (green-ops.com)). Matt was AI for day 1 only.
    Photo of instructors: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9RT...EQfzw?e=uKK3K2

ABBREVIATIONS in this AAR: Low Power Variable Optic (LPVO), Green Ops (GO), Green Ops Instructor (GOI), Limit of Advancement (LOA), Offset RDS (ORDS), Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR), Positive Identification (PID).

STUDENTS: Fifteen students of varied backgrounds: San Antonio PD/SWAT, Constable, Engineer, Federal LE, Physician, IT, and 2A Industry folks, which included staff from Big Tex Ordnance, Magpul, and Sons of Liberty Gun Works (SOLGW). Every student was from Texas.

COMMUNICATION: there was excellent communication from Green Ops. We received emails nine days before class with handouts, online waivers, and reminders on preparations. I emailed them several times before class and they were promptly responsive.

ENVIRONMENT: This was a private range in Pleasanton with multiple bays of 40-50 yards in length, and one range out to 500 yds. GO had coolers at each bay with ice water and plenty of shaded canopies. The GOI were very thoughtful, especially Chris in making sure that we had adequate breaks, plenty of shade, and cold water. This was much appreciated given the 109-degree temperature.

EQUIPMENT: Primary rifle was 16-inch LWRC DI upper on POF lower. LPVO on primary was Trijicon VCOG 1-8x MRAD reticle FFP with an ORDS (Holosun 509T) on an Arisaka mount. Secondary rifle was an ADM 13.9 upper (pinned Surefire Warcomp) on an ADM lower. LPVO on secondary was Leupold 1-6X FFP Mk6 with CMR-W MRAD reticle. (photos https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9RY...fpY3Q?e=NdJCl3) and ORDS was a Primary Arms SLx micro red dot. Ammunition was 223 Wolf Steelcase FMJ 55 gr and Hornady 5.56 M193 55 gr. My cheap WOLF steelcase was perfect for the CQB portion. I used the more expensive M193 5.56 for the longer-range portion. I would recommend this strategy for future attendees as it will save you on the more expensive ammo.
    Both rifles were zeroed at 50 yds using the 5.56 ammo.

INTRODUCTION:
    This is a two-day class focusing on practical applications of the LPVO. Previously, GO had one-day LPVO courses and it was so well received that their students requested a two-day version. Our class was the inaugural two-day version.

Day One

After introductions, briefings on medical and safety, we spent an hour on didactics. The history, development, and applications of the LPVO and Zero distances were discussed. The instructors favored the 50-yard zero but stressed that the perfect zero does not exist. The 50/200 is the sweet spot between CQB distances and 200-300 yrds. The 100 yard zero is best for hunting and longer ranges. Your zero will also change with barrel length. For example, a 50/200 yd zero will have different POI with a 16 in barrel than a 10.5 in barrel. Bottom line: the best zero is the one you train with and know offsets at different distances.

Per GOI, the primary role of the LPVO is for observation and ranging. In that role, it can PID a potential threat up to 200 yds (clearly see target, clothing, hands, weapon). Beyond 200 yds, PID becomes more difficult and the LPVO becomes more observational. A LPVO does not make your rifle a DMR. This was confirmed with my 1-8X optic. Although I could see and hit a target at 500 yds, I sure could not PID the target definitively.

Offset RDS: GOI were not fans of these. They felt that they added extra weight, were snag hazards, had inconsistent POI due to the varying angles when shooting and added little to your capabilities. For CQB, their position is that an LPVO at 3X is sufficient if you train with it and an ORDS is superfluous. However, if you do use an ORDS, they recommended a 25 yard zero. We practiced multiple drills with my LPVO at 3X at CQB distances. I had a very difficult time adjusting. Until I train more with close engagements at 3X, I will be keeping my ORDS.

Following didactics, we split into two groups, Red and Blue. Chris and Mike took turns demonstrating their “getting ready” sequence and proper positioning for zeroing your rifles. Each team then took turns confirming zeroes. A few students needed fine tuning. After zeroing, the Red team (mine) went with Chris and Mike for CQB and Blue team went with Jose and Matt for long range.

Red Team/CQB:
    Using our LPVO, we did standard drills shooting from low ready, high ready, shooting while moving forward, and lateral right to left, then left to right. We then practiced support side shooting, barricade work with standing, kneeling, strong side, support side. GOI are advocates of “safety on” during reloads and whenever sights are not on target.

For most of the drills, we used both 1X and then 3X. Chris organized a barricade competition within the red team. There were two VTAC barricades with a reduced size steel target 40 yds down range. Starting from the 50 and on the start, one person would run to the left barricade and the other to the right. You had to hit the steel two times standing and two times kneeling on each side of your barricade. Winner was whoever got their hits first. The winner of each round would then face off in a process of elimination.

Breaks were frequent given the heat. Chris was quite considerate, moving the shaded canopies here and there so that the students could rest under the shade.

At 1430, red and blue teams switched. On the long range with Jose, we partnered up and created range cards for the targets that we were to shoot later. https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9Rj...6uALg?e=F7MZZH This range card corresponded to these targets: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9RU...u-zfg?e=5BJgeT Jose recommended that we create range cards for our neighborhood as well. A range card is a diagram that consists of known set landmarks in a specific area with ranged distances. The neighborhood mailbox, for example, 30 yards from front door. The lamp post- 50 yards away, the nearest visible stop sign, 250 yds away etc. A competition ensued where each shooter had to hit four steel targets ranging 95-180 yds away from barricade (standing, kneeling, prone was shooter’s choice). One target was in the passenger seat of a truck, and another was partially hidden at the tailgate. By sheer luck I had the fastest time at 11.8 sec with barricade supported kneeling and using the VCOG 1-8x (I was at 3x).

Red and blue teams came back together and debriefed. We ended the day at around 1600.

Day Two

Class began at 0900 but I came at 0700 to zero my Leupold. Arriving early gave me an appreciation into the dedication of Chris, our primary instructor, and the GO team. I was helping him set up the target arrays and learned that he was at the range 2 days prior to plan the training and prep the equipment. During the two days, Chris and the GO team were always making sure that we had shade, hydration, and plenty of time to ask questions.

Day two for the red team was a continuation of long-range training with Jose. We finished the process of making range cards for eleven steel targets ranging from 95 yds to 500 yds. Some targets were partially covered while others were freestanding downrange. Under time and in a barricade position of their choice, each person had one go at shooting the eleven targets. Some were standing, others kneeling, and I was prone. Using my VCOG 1-8x, I made first hits on every target from 95 to 500. Then, for unclear reasons, I missed eight times on the 462-yard target. Unfortunately, we each only had one run.

A lunch break followed and both teams rejoined for some performance rifle shooting. Chris had set up an exercise with three stages that involved small target steel, target acquisition and transitions, shooting while moving, and shot calling. Scoring was loose as anywhere on the cardboard counted as a hit. Each student had two runs through the exercise. Chris instructed us to run the drill once on 3X and second run on 1X with our LPVOs. I was noticeably slower on 3X. This was one of my runs: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9RD...7e-Og?e=gPybNU

The culmination exercise completed the day. We went back to the long range with the 11 steel targets. Chris and Jose set up additional IDPA targets with T-shirts with some behind cover. Students were paired into two-man teams and we all started on the far right. On the sound of “threat”, each team ran to a large wooden spool table and engaged frontal targets. One person would then move to a far-left barricade while the other provided suppressive cover. The right person would then move. A GOI accompanied each shooter as they ran the course. It was an exercise of shoot, move, and communicate. The LOA, or Limit of Advancement was the truck in this photo ( https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9Qo...hc9vA?e=x7FmMP ) where each person rejoined and engaged the steel targets beyond the truck. Each team had two runs. Jose and Chris demonstrated the drill first in this video (https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9Q_...ZpORg?e=bQCZZ5 ). Mike Green and Chris ran alongside each shooter, ensuring they were safe and giving them advice as needed.
    This was another team running the exercise https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9RM...-YNZg?e=kWFaRr . The big epiphany for me was when I reached the LOA at the truck. I needed to change locations for better angles of firing and to avoid being a stationary target. My most embarrassing moment was when I was firing behind the hood. My rounds kept hitting the hood with my offset but I did not even realize it.

After all the runs, we all pitched in to disassemble the targets and police the range. A debriefing followed and everyone got goodies from Magpul, Sons of Liberty Gun Works, and Big Tex Ordnance.

Most of my training is pistol-related so I enjoyed this class immensely. What I learned:
    1. My VCOG 1-8x is a better LPVO than the Leupold MK6. The VCOG has more light transmission, a finer reticle, better daytime illumination daytime, and a more generous eye relief and eyebox. The reticle is also finer and did not obstruct the target like the Leupold.
    2. In defensive applications, an LPVO is more for observation at distance rather than shooting at distance due to difficulty with PID. Effective PID requires that you can see the target, know who it is, what they have in their hands, and if they are a threat. GO instructors felt that you can use an LPVO to PID up to 200 yds but rarely beyond. Beyond this, an LPVO enables you to “see” a target, but not necessarily the details that will qualify it as a threat.
    3. In performance/competition applications, an LPVO can certainly facilitate engagement of targets 500+ yards but the targets are pre-identified to shoot.
    4. Offset RDS (ORDS): I was surprised that GO did not recommend ORDS. They considered them extra weight, snag hazards, and unnecessary. Most people have ORDS for CQB engagements if their LPVO are on high power. GO instructors felt that with training, CQB sighting can be done effectively with the LPVO on 3X or higher. I will be keeping my ORDS.
    5. Support side shooting (switching shoulders and switching hands): Yes, you should train the technique but rarely will you use it in combat. None of the GOI ever recalled having to switch shoulders/hands during their many combat tours. Mike Green remembers ONE instance in which he switched shoulders but maintained firing control with his dominant hand.

BEST PARTS OF THIS CLASS
    1. The teacher: student ratio of 4 instructors for 15 students was incredible. This afforded incredible safety and personal instruction and attention.
    2. The care and attention of the staff. The instructors were very attentive to not only our learning but also our health. Chris especially moved the shaded canopies around throughout the day so that we could stay in the shade.
    3. Performing in 108–109-degree heat. This really tested my stamina, hydration, and equipment. The clothing was essential. My Crye combat pants were horrible in the heat. So were my Propper hot weather pants. Both seemed to trap the heat in. However, the Kryptek Sonora pant was perfect. It felt cool and breathable as well as protective.
    4. Classmates: having 14 shooters who were better than you were really motivated and inspired me. Everyone was team centric and did their best to help.
    5. Culmination exercise: I have never had an opportunity to do something like this. The exercise made you realize how strong or weak your fundamentals were. Ammo management, reloads, malfunction clearance, running and communicating with a partner, close distance and longer distance shooting, offset awareness, and situational awareness all came into play.
    6. Having the big boys from Magpul, Sons of liberty Gunworks, and Big Tex Ordnance in your class was quite fun. All the goodies they gave was certainly appreciated.

PARTS THAT NEED IMPROVEMENT
    1. More emphasis on intermediate range LPVO shooting. For most of us, having access to a 500-yard range is uncommon, which is why I think we should have spent more time on this than close-quarter applications with the LPVO. My red team had limited instruction/experience in the long-range portion. We each only had one run at the 100–500-yard targets and I wish we had more. I would have loved for example, more time to test my reticle and see what holds were needed for the different targets downrange. As it was with one run, I still am not sure what I did wrong or right. I think the Blue team had more time than we did because when it was our turn, one of the instructors for long-range had to leave early.
    2. Start Times: with 108-109-degree heat in the forecast, I think starting at 7AM would have been better for both days.

FINAL THOUGHTS
    As the inaugural 2-day LPVO class, I thought the GOI did a fantastic job in providing a safe, fun, and educational experience. All the instructors had incredible real-world pedigree and experience. They all had bragging rights but everyone was as down-to-earth and as nice as can be. Three days after the class, we all received a detailed email. Contained within were tips on training, resources online, standards, recommendations of other instructors, gear discounts, and a wealth of other information. This was first-class follow up and reflected that they really cared about your learning and improvement. I would take this class again in a heartbeat and I am certain that the GOI will make this class even better with each iteration.

Final eye candy: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au2TiH-xDagAg9RJ...4jqWg?e=5Divdo
    Thanks for the review, I'm taking this class this weekend in WV. I too am surprised about the ORDS train of thought. I actually started using one because the 1-6 Razor mag ring is so tight and I entered a COF with it inadvertently at 6x. Way faster and more accurate to shift the gun a bit than it is to dial back to 1x or fight through with way too much mag. That said, I'm definitely going to make an effort to shoot the LPVO the entire time this weekend.

Also forgot to ask, any idea how long you guys spent confirming zero? My primary should be good but I just got the mount in for my backup and unfortunately the range is closed today which I was not expecting. I’ll try to get there early either way but if it’s a solid 15-20 minutes for the zero confirmation, I should be able to get it dialed in pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Also forgot to ask, any idea how long you guys spent confirming zero? My primary should be good but I just got the mount in for my backup and unfortunately the range is closed today which I was not expecting. I’ll try to get there early either way but if it’s a solid 15-20 minutes for the zero confirmation, I should be able to get it dialed in pretty quickly.

We did not spend alot of time on zero since there were two teams. Overall 15 min per team. Have fun!!

What LPVO's did the GOI recommend?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

How was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

How was your LPVO class? Anything different that you can share.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    What LPVO's did the GOI recommend?
    They did not recommend anything specifically as the question did not come up. Two of the GOI were using Vortex HD 1-6, Leupold 1-6 Mk6 from what I could tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Thn9mm View Post
    How was your LPVO class? Anything different that you can share.
    I didn’t make it, unfortunately. The location is a five and a half hour drive from me and something else came up that prevented me from going. Super bummed.

Is there a downside to more magnification? 1x10 vs 1x6 for example?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

User Tag List