Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LASIK as a self defense aid

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    It was always a worry for me. I was too severe for Lasik and ended up getting ICLs (implantable lenses).
    Same here, a little over 10 years ago. Money extremely well spent.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I had delayed getting LASIK because of folks I knew who'd had the procedure complaining about starbursts while driving at night.
    When I had mine done, starbursts were more an issue with RK vs Lasik. Lasik had a smaller laser and went it at an angle so it could resurface more of the retina then light could hit when the pupil was fully dilated, greatly reducing or eliminating any starbursts. There was a cheaper version of Lasik that still used a bigger laser "straight in" but I ponied up for the angled version.

It took something like 30 seconds in one eye and 33 seconds in the other. I went from 20/800-ish to 20/15 and 20/10. Now I'm still about 20/25 and 20/20 with some natural degradation due to age.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

I seriously can’t see shit.
    What’s your contact or glasses prescription?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I had LASEK (a variant of PRK) done shortly after I turned 21 (33 now). Prior to that I had vision as poor as some of the others posting here, around 20/800. Things were BAD without my glasses. I was barely functional without them. I couldn’t even make out the big E at the top of the eye chart. Getting the surgery was one of the best decisions of my life. I do get star bursts from lights such as vehicle headlights or street lights at night but that’s a small price to pay to not have to deal with glasses or contacts.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I was very close to doing it a couple of years ago. What I arrived at was that it wasn’t going to match the clarity I get with glasses, and I wasn’t willing to compromise.

I’m naturally nearsighted, with an astigmatism in one eye, but have lost some up-close clarity as I’ve aged (I’m nearly 48). The doctors had all sorts of hair brained schemes like fix one eye for far and the other for near.

Nah.

That plus the potential for a bad outcome related to issues with driving at night, and I’ve not pursued it.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I had cataract surgery last year and WOW what a difference it made. Never realized how bad my vision was especially at night.

Site Supporter
    100% I’ve thought about it pretty extensively.

I haven’t made the plunge - one has been massive home repairs and two is I’m the sole income earner for the home and I’m probably unduly risk averse with my eyesight.

I once stated I used a weapon mounted light to orient a gun and shoot it. I found out to about 5-7 yards with my X300U right around where the bottom of the light goes is where my Glock 34 prints. For this reason.

I figure if I get punched in the face with glasses and it knocks my glasses off. If I can shine a light on someone I can shoot them with the bottom part of the light atleast COM semi-accurate.

I’m not recommending it, but I was curious where in the light the gun would print.

Hey, if it was good enough for SAS operators to take down the Iranian embassy mounted on a sub machine gun used in Full Auto.

ETA: I just did some dry fire with my competition Glock and the RDS sight is fairly visible for 1/3 scale torsos at 7-8 feet. One more reason to use a red dot. I was only vaguely able to see the iron sights.

Try it out some time today.

ETA2: Doing Jiu Jitsu - I had to take my glasses off. I’d keep my glasses on for demonstration, take them off and put them on the sides of the mat without. I have about 20/200 vision. I do think in hindsight it caused me a disadvantage as I could see lots of things but not specific details.

I have read about the flaps that they have to cut on your eyes being compromised and it possible for those to be weakened. There are more prestigious sources of information but this Reddit thread relays my concerns.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comment...tm_name=iossmf

YMMV.
    Last edited by BWT; 10-24-2022 at 07:46 AM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Understand if you get PRK the steroids can contribute to cataracts. I had PRK both eyes and then enhancements a few years later.

I am now having cataract surgery at almost 52. PRK was in 04-05 & then in 11.
    I had cataract surgery on both eyes a couple years ago, after a lifetime of 20/450 nearsightedness. I took distance focus for both eyes and ended up 20/10 in each. Kidded with the doc I wished I'd gotten them 20 years ago!

@JCN yeah it's a huge issue. Some years ago when my instructor padded up one of his top student and sicc'ed him on me for me to go full contact. I knew this would smash my glasses so I went without them. He was a vastly superior striker (he was in Golden Gloves at that time and a fair bit bigger than me). His black padded outfit and black mits were just murdering me so I went to shooting in to take his neck and choke from all different angles over and over. Figured closing with him was my only "blind" chance. Went OK I guess, was repeatedly able to take him off his feet and apply whatever angle choke I could get.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    I has LASIK about 10 years ago. Best money I have ever spent.

Without glasses I was all but blind. Walking from my bedroom to the kitchen could only have been done safely by crawling. No way I could drive even in an emergency.

10 years later I still have some side effects such as starburst and halos at night, and I probably need a touch up as I’m likely not 20/20 at the moment.

Even with the side effects it’s totally worth it. With glasses you are dependent on something that can be lost, fall off or broken. I would carry an extra pair at work in my shirt pocket or in vehicle just in case.

I would prefer the night time effects x1000+ over having to depend on glasses or contacts. Not to mention the fogging issues and other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I had cataract surgery on both eyes a couple years ago, after a lifetime of 20/450 nearsightedness. I took distance focus for both eyes and ended up 20/10 in each. Kidded with the doc I wished I'd gotten them 20 years ago!
    Yeah, I tell friends that if you develop cataracts don't be sad, be happy your vision correction is a covered procedure.
    My right eye degraded ~3yrs sooner than my left, and I asked for distance correction, but not all the way out so I could retain the ability to see pistol sights. Probably got a little more correction than they were shooting for (I crack myself up...), and I am glad. My vision is good enough that I can do recreational motorsports (snowmobile, boat, off road motorcycle/ATV) without correction if I want to (especially important with the snowmobile). I can also shoot well enough without corrective lenses, but need them for hunting and matches with difficult target ID.

Since my eyes were not bad enough at the same time that left me with default monovision (nearsighted in my left eye) for those 2-3 years. I had tried it with contacts but quit after trying to drive after dark after only a few hours, but was glad I was forced into it for a few years. When my left eye degraded I went with an implant that restored my vision but kept my left eye nearsighted. But, and this is major, you will want glasses for driving even if you are not legally required. I keep glasses at my desk and I keep glasses in my vehicle (when I would be wearing sunglasses anyway 75% of the time), otherwise I do not need to wear glasses. Just back from a week working a trade show in Las Vegas, I wore my sunglasses on the way to and from the exhibits, and that was all. Not sure if you would want to do both eyes on the same day anyway, so no matter what you could experiment with this, but probably should do your strong side dominant eye first (I was also cross-dominant, and this has helped) and until you get proper glasses take the lens out of the strong side.

And @JCN, you might want to consider doing the lens implants, even if it is out of pocket (you seem to have the means). Not sure there would be much downside other than financial and there is lots of upside (your vision will be pretty consistent the rest of your life).

User Tag List