Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: LASIK as a self defense aid

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Interesting. I had inquired about long term side effects when I had my procedure done and I was never advised of that. Is that new research that is coming out?
    Don't know if this was known previously or only now becoming well advertised. It's what my doctor told me.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I had cataract surgery on both eyes a couple years ago, after a lifetime of 20/450 nearsightedness. I took distance focus for both eyes and ended up 20/10 in each. Kidded with the doc I wished I'd gotten them 20 years ago
    Thanks for that. I am not sure why I'm freaked out about cataract surgery, but I am. I've had a bunch of different surgeries and never thought twice. Twice same knee, three shoulder surgeries, hamstring reattached, wisdom teeth, PRK X 2, others, but this one has me very amped. I guess it is because I will see them remove the lens and guy said it would take 20 minutes. Anyway, I appreciate the positive words.

If anyone else has had and can provide inputs, please do. I don't know why this has me in the state I am, but t does even though it is most common surgery in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I am not sure why I'm freaked out about cataract surgery, but I am.

this one has me very amped. I guess it is because I will see them remove the lens and guy said it would take 20 minutes. Anyway, I appreciate the positive words.

If anyone else has had and can provide inputs, please do. I don't know why this has me in the state I am, but t does even though it is most common surgery in America.
    You are probably freaked because it is freaky! They slit the side of your eye and erode out your lens. The first time I had no idea it was as invasive as it was.

But... you will not see it being done. Your eye will be under a local anesthetic and you will only see shadows. They will place you under a general long enough to give you a local behind your eye. Knowing what is being done is the whole problem. Being a little shitfaced would probably be good but is probably not the recommended approach, you gotta just psych yourself into being chill.

Am I helping? I am not sure I am helping...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yes. I had it done in '03 prior to going to work for DynCorp. Part of the job was the ability to wear the military gas mask and if you have glasses they have to make you these little prescription inserts. They suck, and I had no idea how long it would take to get them. Plus you're supposed to stow your regular glasses in your gas mask case when you switch out and I just knew I'd lose them in the sand.

I wanted it done earlier, as I knew that if I got woken up to someone in my shack in the woods I was useless until I had my glasses. I just couldn't afford it. Going contracting and making those contracting bucks let me feel good about the 12 month no cost financing then paying it off about my second month there.

Best money I ever spent.
    Please comment on your type of duty with Dyncorp. Having worked there is impressive indeed.

Site Supporter
    Modern cataract surgery is so much better than in the older days. Lens replacement is awesome as compared to the solutions in previous times. It is not a big deal. You don't have to go to a hospital and have your head immobilized between sandbags and wear very thick glasses that gave limited fields of vision, terrible fusion problems for awhile, etc.

Took Intro to Ophthalmology in school. History was quite interesting.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Please comment on your type of duty with Dyncorp. Having worked there is impressive indeed.
    Meh. During GWOT it wasn't that tough to get hired on to contract with them. I did "force protection", aka security guard. Watch towers, gun positions, vehicle search lanes, internal checkpoints sort of stuff. I did the guard thing for about 10-11 months, then got my MVACIS operator training and certifications and spent the remainder of my first year and all of my second in the search lane as an MVACIS truck operator. I was assigned to Camp As-sayliyyah or PSP Falcon 78 the entire time, '03-'05.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Gents, I am literally recovering from surgery for a detached retina (Oct 17) and am catching up on threads. This was discovered 2 weeks ago during an optometry appointment for new glasses where one of my eyes would see a thin black mesh curtain, red stop lights became Pepto Bismol pink and vertical lines became curves.

I had no real pain (maybe an occasional ache) and the net suggests that family history of nearsightedness and cataracts had more of an influence than my history of martial arts training. Rather than go through more details of my procedure (unless you really want to), I had 2 appointments pre surgery (exams and a Covid test), surgery, and 3 more follow ups at differing intervals. I have a gas bubble injected in my eye, that is sensitive to altitude and pressure= no plane rides to the mountains and extensive exercise (weights or aerobics). I can only sleep belly down and on my non-operated side with an Eye Shield, any violation= I get pain and any real deviation could cause blindness. I also get to use 3 different eyedrops 2-4 daily for the next few weeks

In regards to the original poster, compromised vision was/is something I've dealt with in every system I trained. Detached retina was a factor for me to step away from striking sparring and more grappling (docs really pushed this when I was younger)

Willard, I agree with MMC45411 and I was anxious for awhile. I had to consciously remember it was a short procedure (45 min) and 'this procedure is meant to HELP ME'. My surgeon even told me this was freaky and the anesthesiologist team separately told me everyone had pre surgery anxiety.
    Last edited by Smoke; 10-25-2022 at 05:02 PM.

I got LASIK earlier this year. Defensive strategy didn’t really play into it, I was just sick of contacts.

I wish I would have done it years ago. It has been great. Not having to deal with glasses or contacts on hunting trips has been awesome. I wore contacts so it didn’t really change much in BJJ for me.

My advice would be to do it, and get it done on a Friday afternoon. I did it Friday morning and the afternoon was the worst part of the recovery. Not horrible at all, but I would have rather got it done at the end of the day and slept through that part.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Thanks for that. I am not sure why I'm freaked out about cataract surgery, but I am. I've had a bunch of different surgeries and never thought twice. Twice same knee, three shoulder surgeries, hamstring reattached, wisdom teeth, PRK X 2, others, but this one has me very amped. I guess it is because I will see them remove the lens and guy said it would take 20 minutes. Anyway, I appreciate the positive words.

I was nervous on my first eye, but it was an easy procedure. Best thing was I walked out and could read street signs.

For the other eye - a week or two later - I was an old pro, easy-peasey.

It is not unusual to get protein deposits on the back of the lens. I was told this generally only occurs once per eye. Sure enough a couple of years after my surgery, my left eye started to get blurry. They use a laser to burn/blow the protein off the back of the lens. This freaked me out more than the surgery and I made the doctor explain how it worked and why it wouldn't hurt my retina. I already knew he didn't have a sense of humor from my first surgery, so I was very serious when questioning him. He didn't much like doing it but he more thoroughly explained the procedure and the safeguards. Everything went fine.

Don't stress, it will be worth it.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I was nervous on my first eye, but it was an easy procedure. Best thing was I walked out and could read street signs.

For the other eye - a week or two later - I was an old pro, easy-peasey.

It is not unusual to get protein deposits on the back of the lens. I was told this generally only occurs once per eye. Sure enough a couple of years after my surgery, my left eye started to get blurry. They use a laser to burn/blow the protein off the back of the lens. This freaked me out more than the surgery and I made the doctor explain how it worked and why it wouldn't hurt my retina. I already knew he didn't have a sense of humor from my first surgery, so I was very serious when questioning him. He didn't much like doing it but he more thoroughly explained the procedure and the safeguards. Everything went fine.

Don't stress, it will be worth it.
    Thank you sir. Much appreciated!

User Tag List