Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LASIK as a self defense aid

LASIK as a self defense aid

I did a combatives class this weekend and one thing that really struck me was how fucked I would be if I was grappling and lost glasses.

I seriously can’t see shit.

I don’t mind glasses and most times I’m glad for the default eye protection…

But it was really eye opening (pun intended) of what a massive disadvantage I would be in a fight.

Has that entered into anyone else’s mental calculus?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I did a combatives class this weekend and one thing that really struck me was how fucked I would be if I was grappling and lost glasses.

But it was really eye opening (pun intended) of what a massive disadvantage I would be in a fight.

Reason military provided PRK under warfighter refractive surgery.

Just do it. It's life changing. There's really no reason not to other than cost and the fact that it doesn't last forever.

I recently made the move to contacts because of similar issues. Frames are a hinderance to grappling, and poor vision is a hinderance to shooting.

If I knew who to trust with my odd oblique astigmatism and the cost wasn't a factor I'd have already gotten some form of laser correction.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Yes. I had it done in '03 prior to going to work for DynCorp. Part of the job was the ability to wear the military gas mask and if you have glasses they have to make you these little prescription inserts. They suck, and I had no idea how long it would take to get them. Plus you're supposed to stow your regular glasses in your gas mask case when you switch out and I just knew I'd lose them in the sand.

I wanted it done earlier, as I knew that if I got woken up to someone in my shack in the woods I was useless until I had my glasses. I just couldn't afford it. Going contracting and making those contracting bucks let me feel good about the 12 month no cost financing then paying it off about my second month there.

Best money I ever spent.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

It was always a worry for me. I was too severe for Lasik and ended up getting ICLs (implantable lenses).
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Understand if you get PRK the steroids can contribute to cataracts. I had PRK both eyes and then enhancements a few years later.

I am now having cataract surgery at almost 52. PRK was in 04-05 & then in 11.

What combatives class did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Understand if you get PRK the steroids can contribute to cataracts. I had PRK both eyes and then enhancements a few years later.

I am now having cataract surgery at almost 52. PRK was in 04-05 & then in 11.
    Interesting. I had inquired about long term side effects when I had my procedure done and I was never advised of that. Is that new research that is coming out?

A family disturbance on a cold February night brought that starkly into focus. My glasses fogged so badly I had to ditch them in a wrestling match. This would have been 1977 and soft contacts ran about $300, IIRC. I had some as quickly as I could get an appointment and get the delivered.

At the time I was close to 20.400 and 20/800 uncorrected. Previous to that I had gone out and shot without my glasses, satisfying myself that if I knew you were a lethal threat, I could put rounds on you at 25 yards. The problem that I had was that I would likely not be able to identify a lethal threat that originated at distance - such as a person getting out of a vehicle on a high risk stop with something in their hand.

The fogging up thing just sped my decision, I was already heading that way.

Grappling-wise, losing my glasses wouldn't have much affected the outcome so long as it remained grappling.

I had cataract surgery due to prescribed steroids, at a fairly young age, barely into my 40's. I had delayed getting LASIK because of folks I knew who'd had the procedure complaining about starbursts while driving at night. I've had no such problem with the lenses they put in during my cataract surgery. I wonder why they don't just go that route, other than the fact you still have to deal with presbyopia.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List