Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HST got a tattoo?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would rather have the more penetration, for out hiking around creatures.
    I too err on the side of more penetration, which is why I usually pick a 147gr load. The various 147gr premium JHP loads tend to penetrate a bit more than the 124gr ones in most testing. But the differences between all of the good 9mm JHP are not all that significant. They were all designed with the various FBI tests in mind, and will fall in that 12-18" penetration range

A hard cast 147 or one of the solid copper loads is obviously a better choice for something like bears, but I think any of the good 147 JHP loads would be adequate for most lower 48 stuff, outside grizz.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    but I noticed something off. A little clear O-ring gasket laying either in the pistol or around the pistol (I was shooting seated from a rest). I picked it up and looked at it. It was flexible to the touch. I was befuddled as to where it came from. I did think, based on size, it could have come from the primer area. But I didn't see any primer sealant overage from the unfired Sabers. .
    Some of the modern clear primer sealants can easily go unnoticed if you’re not sure what to look for.

Federal 9mm +P 124 grain HST

….
    Member of the General Population

Shot a full box of the new rounds with the blue sealant through the G47. These were purchased just a few months ago, and have never been carried. They all started with a full ring around the primer, and most if not all had a splotch of blue in addition.

I was able to recover 30 of the spent cases, and all but one lost pieces of the sealant. There seemed to be a pretty even spread ranging from losing pretty much all the sealant to losing only a tiny piece, but everything seems to have come out in solid pieces. There were a few blue specks scattered in the ammo tray when I got home, and I noticed one piece on the bench, which I took a picture of.

Name:  HST blue.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  sealant range.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  21.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    Some of the modern clear primer sealants can easily go unnoticed if you’re not sure what to look for.

….
    Did you take that 2nd photo with UV? I'm guessing a black light?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    Did you take that 2nd photo with UV? I'm guessing a black light?
    Correct.
    Member of the General Population

Cleaned the G19 last night, and found another ring stuck between the magazine release and the frame inside the mag well. It was wedged horizontally on the right side of the mag well in a small gap just to the left of where the right side of the magazine release steps up to fill the hole on the right side of the frame (I am right handed, so my mag release is set up with the button on the left). I have circled the step up on the picture below. This caused the mag release to bind somewhat until I removed the ring. When I pulled it out, it took a bit of effort, and the ring did not break apart and remained intact.

When I fired the new blue HST through the G47 on Saturday, I put an additional 50 rounds of Magtech 115 through the G19. Again, I had no malfunctions, and there were no issues with inserting, retaining, or releasing magazines.

I have not received a response to my initial e-mail from Federal, but I sent a follow-up e-mail with updated information about the blue sealant rounds and finding the additional red ring in the mag release. Their contact me form does not allow pics to be attached, but I offered to send pics if they're interested.

I've placed an order for Speer Gold Dot for carry, and only plan to use the HST in dedicated training guns.

Name:  TD.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  27.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post

….
    Checked pre and post firing, looks as if about 20% retain the primer sealant. Meaning 80% shed the ring into the internals. Comforting.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Checked pre and post firing, looks as if about 20% retain the primer sealant. Meaning 80% shed the ring into the internals. Comforting.
    Look at it this way. The primer sealant helps ensure that it goes bang in a life or death situation. I'd be willing to bet that the chances of the sealant rings gumming up the works enough to cause a malfunction during that life or death situation are probably slim. I don't have facts to back that up but I've run a full box of HST through every new gun I've bought in recent years and never had a malfunction with it, and I don't think I've read of any failures attributed to that. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself since I have it stacked so deep.

Name:  IMG_2512.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  98.7 KB
    I put a box of 147’s through a 365 yesterday to check function after swapping to the flat trigger and adding the safety (neither of which I liked). I noticed nothing at the range and just pulled the slide off and there’s nothing visible inside the gun. Just got this batch of ammo a couple weeks ago fwiw.

User Tag List