Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HST got a tattoo?

HST got a tattoo?

What's this ink on the back of the casing? Just bought 600 rounds of 124 +p HST and that's how they all are. My old stock didn't have it. Normal?

Name:  20221022_185812.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  26.4 KB
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Primer sealant. Normal.

Ammo tramp stamp!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Ammo tramp stamp!
    Hmm, that must be why I have the hots for my latest case of HST with the blue sealant...

I shot 100 rds. of my old carry HST from 2017ish this weekend. After one string I noticed what looked like a tiny red O-ring on the slide. Af first I thought that I had lost the screw for the battery tray, but quickly realized that wasn’t the issue. After puzzling over it for a minute, I figured out that the rings were the exact size of a primer, and that the sealant had popped out in a perfect unbroken circle.

I had fired 50 rounds of HST through a G47, but didn’t notice the rings until I had switched to a G19. I saw a few scattered around after I noticed the first one on top of the slide, including the pictured spent case with two clinging to it. At one point I shined my phone light onto the breech face just to make sure nothing had worked its way into the striker channel, but saw nothing amiss. I haven’t taken the guns apart for cleaning to see if any wandered their way into the internals, but had no malfunctions or issues. I only fired the 50 rounds of HST through the G19, but I fired 150 rounds of Magtech 124 and another 20 AE 147 through the G47 after the HST, with no problems.

If I find that any little rings made their way anywhere weird, I’ll add pics, but I doubt they’re substantial enough to actually cause a problem.

Name:  IMG_1655.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  20.5 KB

@Sero Sed Serio

I've had it happen as well. I don't recall if it was a one off box I had at the time or if my current stock of HST is afflicted with it. At the time, I switched back to Gold Dot.

Some would say it'll be fine, but I'll say it can't be good.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    What's this ink on the back of the casing? Just bought 600 rounds of 124 +p HST and that's how they all are. My old stock didn't have it. Normal?

Switch from Gold Dot?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Switch from Gold Dot?

I use them interchangeably but leaning to just use HST after I go through my Gold Dot stash.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    @Sero Sed Serio

I've had it happen as well. I don't recall if it was a one off box I had at the time or if my current stock of HST is afflicted with it. At the time, I switched back to Gold Dot.

Some would say it'll be fine, but I'll say it can't be good.
    It’s possible that it was a one-off box. While rounds from 5 or 6 boxes have been mixed and matched over the several years I’ve had this stock, I didn’t notice the issue when shooting the G47, so it could have been that most if not all of the rounds in the box I put through it were unaffected.

I typically go with whatever is available in 147 between Gold Dot and HST as LE agencies in the area issue/approve both, but I have a slight preference for Gold Dot as I’ve heard of fewer issues from worthwhile sources, and more agencies issue it. I couldn’t find it for a reasonable price when I made my last purchase, so went with HST. My current batch has the blue sealant.

User Tag List