Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HST got a tattoo?

I'd be shocked if the case sealant "rings" could gum things up enough to cause any issues, function wise. I've scraped probably a full pound of case sealant out of AR15 bolts over the years... never had a function issue with any of those. Given, all of that was flakes of sealant, not intact rings like this. It is a bit strange that its staying in one piece and not crumbling.

Out of curiosity I field-stripped both pistols. No sign of any rings in the G47, but as I was clearing the G19 I saw a ring looped over the extractor. Locking the slide back shifted its position a bit, but didn't dislodge it. It stayed in place while I carried the gun into a different room to get a pic, and I had to push it off with a toothpick. It dropped down onto the mag follower, and wouldn't come out when I turned the magazine upside down and shook it--I had to use the toothpick to get it out. I found another piece on the G19's barrel lug in a streak of grease.

I was able to pull apart the ring that was looped over the extractor, but it did take some deliberate effort to do so.

Name:  G19 extractor 1.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  36.7 KB
    Name:  G19 extractor 2.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  38.6 KB
    Name:  HST sealant.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  31.4 KB
    Name:  G19 lug.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  50.2 KB
    Name:  rings 2.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  40.0 KB
    Name:  rings 3.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  57.2 KB

The rounds in my new boxes, for reference:

Name:  HST blue.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  84.9 KB

I checked my stock yesterday, and mine don't have ink, but they have the lacquer sealed primer.

Wonder what percentage shed the ring, and round count before all those bits create a problem?
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    I was able to pull apart the ring that was looped over the extractor, but it did take some deliberate effort to do so.
    That... is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I checked my stock yesterday, and mine don't have ink, but they have the lacquer sealed primer.

Wonder what percentage shed the ring, and round count before all those bits create a problem?
    My current stash of HST has blue sealant like that... I'll have to pay attention next time I fire some off. And I also wonder if they could cause issues eventually. As I said before, I've seen flakes of sealant before, mostly in AR bolts, but have never had an issue caused by it.

What is the latest thinking on HST 124+P vs Gold Dot 124+p?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What is the latest thinking on HST 124+P vs Gold Dot 124+p?
    I would presume it hasn't changed much. Typically HST will edge out Gold Dot for expansion, Gold Dot will edge out HST for penetration. Gold Dot is loaded ever so slightly hotter (about 20 FPS faster out of a 4" barrel), but also has worse G1. My personal preference would be Gold Dot, but that's just my own bias for a bonded round, I certainly wouldn't be sad if I had to use HST.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I would presume it hasn't changed much. Typically HST will edge out Gold Dot for expansion, Gold Dot will edge out HST for penetration. Gold Dot is loaded ever so slightly hotter (about 20 FPS faster out of a 4" barrel), but also has worse G1. My personal preference would be Gold Dot, but that's just my own bias for a bonded round, I certainly wouldn't be sad if I had to use HST.
    I would rather have the more penetration, for out hiking around creatures.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Gold Dot is loaded ever so slightly hotter (about 20 FPS faster out of a 4" barrel)
    That's the spec, but in chronoing several lots of each (124+P) side by side in recent years, I have found the reverse to be true: 20-50 fps faster with HST. The shorter the barrel, the greater the velocity edge I've seen with HST – for example, last year I got an average of 1210 from a G43X. (!!)

Just an interesting data point. I trust both and buy whichever I see a good deal on. The large PD I retired from uses Gold Dot, so that's absolutely what I load when working security/EP jobs in the city.

This thread has jarred a memory

About 3 years ago, I was vetting my S&W M&P 2.0 full-size 45 acp pistol. I was shooting Remington Golden Saber 230 grain JHP. I can't remember if it was at the range or cleaning the pistol at home, but I noticed something off. A little clear O-ring gasket laying either in the pistol or around the pistol (I was shooting seated from a rest). I picked it up and looked at it. It was flexible to the touch. I was befuddled as to where it came from. I did think, based on size, it could have come from the primer area. But I didn't see any primer sealant overage from the unfired Sabers. But based on the pictures and comments in this thread, I kinda think that what was going on. At least that would be my first guess.

User Tag List