Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NYPD 4,000+ Officer Mass Exodus

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Ideally, safety forces are in a constant replenishment cycle, and there should be a balance of new and experienced people. If you end up with too many at either end, there are predictable problems. When you can't hire or retain enough people, @Erick Gelhaus is right. It's not sustainable. Mandatory overtime is a temporary measure, not a solution.
    This is really true of any organization. Even volunteer organizations.

We are facing this, to a degree, in the construction industry. Too many old guys leaving, not enough young ones coming in, and even if there were the old ones are leaving at a higher rate.

For us, I see this as a means to innovate and address our manpower issues in new ways.

I wonder if law enforcement isn’t going to have to start to do the same. We both have similar issues in that (currently, anyway) we ultimately need a body at the front line.

Very few organizations change willingly, or proactively. Entire industries even less so. They do so out of necessity.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I grew up in upstate NY. If your from upstate, read that as central NY. When I deployed my guard unit was based in NYC and made up of alot of NYPD folks.

NYC attitude is unique. There is definitely a machismo to it. Sometimes that turns out to be nothing but a front, and sometimes it doesn't. Some NYC people I know adapt very well to otger places, and others really struggle. They're as diverse as individuals in any culture, but there is no denying it's a culture unique to them.

NYPD's staffing issues sound pretty bad based on the article. Seems like other states have been taking advantage of the exodus in there favor. FL has been trying to for a couple years I think. I don't know how this will end. Seems like somethings gotta give.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This is really true of any organization. Even volunteer organizations.

We are facing this, to a degree, in the construction industry. Too many old guys leaving, not enough young ones coming in, and even if there were the old ones are leaving at a higher rate.

For us, I see this as a means to innovate and address our manpower issues in new ways.

I wonder if law enforcement isn’t going to have to start to do the same. We both have similar issues in that (currently, anyway) we ultimately need a body at the front line.

Very few organizations change willingly, or proactively. Entire industries even less so. They do so out of necessity.
    Being in FL, I'm sure you've seen civilian crash investigators and volunteer crime watch cars. Other than that, I think all we'll see is longer response times for certain types of calls, and more self-reporting, either in-person or online.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Civilian investigating minor crashes is something that makes plenty of sense. I can see that becoming a nation-wide norm, sooner or later.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I grew up in upstate NY. If your from upstate, read that as central NY. When I deployed my guard unit was based in NYC and made up of alot of NYPD folks.

NYC attitude is unique. There is definitely a machismo to it. Sometimes that turns out to be nothing but a front, and sometimes it doesn't. Some NYC people I know adapt very well to otger places, and others really struggle. They're as diverse as individuals in any culture, but there is no denying it's a culture unique to them.

NYPD's staffing issues sound pretty bad based on the article. Seems like other states have been taking advantage of the exodus in there favor. FL has been trying to for a couple years I think. I don't know how this will end. Seems like somethings gotta give.
    The same type of mass exodus from NYPD occurred in the 1970s during city’s financial woes. NYPD officers left in droves for places all over the country, Colorado, Florida, Washington state etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Civilian investigating minor crashes is something that makes plenty of sense. I can see that becoming a nation-wide norm, sooner or later.
    When I started in 1988 we had Civilian Accident Investigators attached to our traffic unit. They took a lot of wrecks. Gradually they went away but the districts added non sworn PSAs (Police Service Assistants IIRC) who also took minor accidents.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Besides the obvious issues with policing, currently, there are broader dynamics at play. This year 400,000 more baby boomers left the workforce than Gen Zers came in. This trend will continue until in 2030 the shortfall is 900,000 workers.

Second is that testosterone levels in society are falling rapidly. There are fewer folks with the positive aggression needed to do this job to begin with. It’s not just policing, the Air Force is short 1650 pilots. That was a very competitive job in times past; now anyone who meets the minimum standards (probably with a waiver or two) can get the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List