Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plate Carrier Q's re First Spear

Plate Carrier Q's re First Spear: SST vs Strandhögg

I hope this is an appropriate place to ask this; I made several searches of the forums and didn't find a better location. I am planning to get a better plate carrier and am fairly well set on First Spear. My first thought was to get a cummerbund retrofit kit for one of my current carriers as I think the tubes appear to be much better than velcro or buckles. But while the retrofit kit looks great, it won't fix the other issues with my budge carriers (eg mediocre Chinese build quality, poor shoulder straps, mediocre PALS webbing, etc). My next thought was maybe to go with the SST & w/an Overlap cummerbund and upgraded shoulder pads and the PIG pontoons. Well, maybe I'm outsmarting myself but once I get everything to upgrade the SST it seems like I'm not saving much cash vs just getting a Strandhögg.

For reference I have two plate carriers now, fairly inexpensive ones. One is set up with Level IV ceramic/PE armor and the other is Level III+ ceramic/PE. I did just get one of the nicer multicurve plates from RMA which feel enough better fit-wise that I'll likely get another one. Neither of my current rigs have real cummerbuns and I'm not presently running side plates. Generally I wear them to the range and to train, and of course keep one handy at home to grab in case of an emergency. My feeling was been that the speed of donning the simpler armor outweighed the extra protection of side plates, etc. But now I am wanting a bit more protection, and it seems that a better carrier with tubes would be at least as fast my stripped down carriers. In a home invasion scenario the layout of my place would likely allow me to keep opponents in front of me but on a shooting range there's a greater risk of a round coming in from the sides or rear.

Protection is the main priority but a big part of spending $500 or more on just the carrier would be to have a rig that is comfortable as well. I won't be humping through the valleys of Afghanistan or anything so I don't pouches for comms or space for six AR mags, but an admin pouch for a cell phone and flashlight would be good. Normally I keep a couple of AR mags on the carrier and a couple of pistol mags. I've got a lot of stuff that First Spear sews for Hill People Gear so I'm really leaning towards them as they do quality stuff and are American made.

So I'm curious if anyone here runs a Strandhögg or other First Spear rig? If so, do common commercial Level IV ceramic/PE plates fit well in the versions made for SAPI plates? How is the comfort of the carrier? Are there any downsides to running tubes that I need to consider? Should I consider a different First Spear carrier? I'm not super interesting in buying a bunch of new plates so I want something that will fit my RMA and LAPG plates if possible (although I will likely add side plates and/or soft side panels- the latter being a big draw of the Overlap cummerbund).

Thanks for any info you can provide!
    Last edited by Phaedrus; 10-21-2022 at 07:19 PM.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Can’t help you at all with First Spear as their products have never fit exactly what I needed and therefore I have no experience with them. Just came here to recommend looking into others as well, specifically Velocity Systems. I have two carriers, two chest rigs, hard and soft armor, and a lot of other stuff from them and have always been very pleased. I’ve spent a lot of time in both the APC and Scarab. Velocity is likely the single most common aftermarket plate carrier and chest rig manufacturer used by people in the Army.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks! Their stuff looks very good, to be sure. I'm kind of hoping to go to a system that doesn't use velcro on the cummerbund as I've always seen it wear out. But I'll definitely keep my options open.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Thanks! Their stuff looks very good, to be sure. I'm kind of hoping to go to a system that doesn't use velcro on the cummerbund as I've always seen it wear out. But I'll definitely keep my options open.
    There’s definitely other options besides FS to avoid Velcro attachments. If you don’t intend to run a heavy setup, I don’t see much need to use a full molle cummerbund, and would opt for an elastic one instead for more comfort, stability, and support. Additionally, something that’s more adaptable.

If you don’t want a Velcro cummerbund attachment method, Spiritus, Defense Mechanisms, and Cryse SPC/AXL equinox are all options. Personally, I don’t love the FS options for a few reasons. Pressburg has made comments on laminates coming un-laminated. I don’t like being stuck with only tubes (I prefer a Velcro left side cummerbund I leave in place, then a tubes on the right to get in/out). I also don’t like the lack of any placard compatibility. Not that that’s the end-all solution, but I like having the option of a placard. And besides the STT which loses any “comfort” enhancements, they all seem generally more expensive than comparable options.

I’ve personally spent time in a Defense Mechanisms MEPC and Velocity scarab, amongst other “vests” over the years. Before some changes at work, the Crye SPC and AXL equinox were going to be my next purchase to play with. For now, I’m sticking with my MEPC as it’s a solid option.

I don't plan to run super heavy but I do plan on armoring up the side panels if that makes a difference. Probably soft armor inserts in the cummerbund and ceramic/PE side plates, to enhance protection on public ranges and in the unlikely event I'm in a fight.

Site Supporter
    Another vote for the Velocity Scarab.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

I started with and still have an stt. I ended up getting two spiritus lv119s because of the shoulder straps and modularity. I can shoulder a rifle better in them. Both setups use tubes for the cumberbund, which is all I want. I also prefer the ability to use placards.

I have 2 identical PC setups an LBT QRC V1 and a V2. This carrier is super comfortable even after wearing it for a full day. The ability for a quick release was a must for me as the carriers I had in the past were a PITA to get on and off. Side plates and inserts are over rated and really create alot of bulk and extra weight. In all reality, even wearing a PC most of your body is still unprotected and the chances of taking a hit to the armor as opposed to your exposed parts is small. My PC's are setup for purely sending rounds downrange, comfort for wearing for long periods and as low profile/lightweight as I could get it. It holds 6 pmags and 3 pistol mags, thats reduced to 5 pmags when I am running comms unless I slip a few full mags in the dump pouch
    I run shot stops GT2 multi curve plates which come in at 3.8lbs each... I have a camelback that stows in the Flatpack along with a med kit, spare bolt, misc. parts and an extra tourniquet. Sorry but I have zero experience with First spears products but when I researched PC's a few years back I couldnt get past the large exposed plastic quick release system they use.

Name:  20221023_124343.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  39.7 KB
    Name:  20221023_124352.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  45.0 KB
    Name:  20221023_124404.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  42.7 KB

LBT may have a black friday sale: https://lbtinc.com/collections/carri...ucts/6094qrcv2
    Last edited by Stone; 10-23-2022 at 01:27 PM.

Well, lots of good carriers out there but I can't shake the desire for the First Spear! For today only, 12/12/22, they're going a 20% discount with code justthetip22 so I broke down and ordered a Strandhogg V3! Expensive to be sure, but hopefully it will be the last one I ever have to buy. I'll be running RMA 1155mc plates in it, will look at side armor down the road. Thanks for everyone for their suggestions, some good products out there to be sure.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    They definitely make it easier for a klutz like me to get in and out of the thing without tying myself in knots.

Name:  2A65E78A-05FD-4B2B-9CB8-81D1CEA2C66D.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  76.3 KB

(In the interest of full disclosure, I am a Poor and would not normally have need for such Gucci gear, but they let us keep these after a Surefire product launch event back in '16 or '17, and I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List