Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It Bears Repeating...Managing Information About Your Self-Defense Mindset

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    John Farnam had a great quip a few years ago on this topic, worth repeating here.

Link: https://defense-training.com/what-to-say-to-police/
    Overall, his idea is reasonable, but not on par with Mas, and it seems to me to be someone taking a bunch of second and third hand info to then put their own twist on it based on how they imagine things work from that second hand info. I've got some real issues with a few things, though:

Insisting that police call an ambulance for you that will take you to a hospital may also be a good strategy. Most will agree that going to a hospital to be checked-over is probably good advice for anyone who has been involved in a lethal-force incident.
    This is a bad idea, not just due to the tying up of resources but anything that cast doubt on your integrity is bad. Going to the hospital meaninglessly does that in the same way malingering does. An ambulance won't transport you for a 'check out' in many jurisdictions. Here, if you make some pointless complaint you'll get an ambulance, which will then clear you to be transported by jail wagon, and you'll go to medical holding for the remainder of the investigation. Your goal is go to go home and sleep in your own bed surrounded by a support network after a traumatic event, not to spend the next 48 hours chained to a holding cell bed. Good news: County picks up your medical cost. Or you aren't under arrest, so you go to a normal hospital room. An officer is posted outside your room. You are arrested when you are ready to leave, either medically cleared or AMA, then taken to holding and you get to pay for the ambulance ride and hospital room.

I will sign a complaint”
    Is absolutely meaningless in the vast majority of the country. There are no 'complaints' to 'sign' and having some canned response vs knowing what you actually need to be communicating is less effective. You tell me "I will sign a complaint". I ask you "what complaint?" Now what? Do you understand what you're offering to do? Do *I*?

Finally, when you are “Mirandized,” the officer will probably ask you, “Do you understand your rights, as I’ve explained them to you?”

The best answer is, “Officers, I’m not answering that question, nor any other, until my lawyer is here, nor will I sign, nor initial, any document.”
    Another canned response and one that is absolutely a terrible idea. He gives the impression that signing the document or not matters. It doesn't. I'd rather you sign it in case your attorney wants a suppression hearing later, but I can still talk to you and use your statements with or without a signed document and with or without you saying "yes". He already gave the correct advice above, when you're done talking you ask for a lawyer. You won't be read Miranda after that, unless it's ClownShoesCity PD because you've already invoked your right to an attorney so Miranda is now meaningless. If you rengage, you may be read a different version of Miranda, but if you reengaged there should be some reason you did so and information that is timely to get out. You can *always* stop answering and ask for a lawyer again.

I've got my attorney's business card in my wallet. Two of them, actually. One for the detective if I'm out of jurisdiction, and one for me. Give your Mas approved public safety statement, invoke your right to an attorney clearly and without equivocation (No "I think I may need an attorney" sort of statements, they don't count), and then be quiet.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

In my jurisdiction there’s no complaint to sign by the victim to press charges. We just ask if prosecution is desired and move on from there. A better statement would be I want to press charges/I want prosecution etc.

Although as a Detective I don’t know how many complaints I signed in the JP Courts to start the prosecution rolling.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Overall, his idea is reasonable, but not on par with Mas, and it seems to me to be someone taking a bunch of second and third hand info to then put their own twist on it based on how they imagine things work from that second hand info. I've got some real issues with a few things, though:
    I recognize your points and don't disagree, some of what's mentioned is discussed in his class. Also note it was written in 2013. Just offering another voice on thematically similar content.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List