Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How important is “wear whatever you want to work” to you?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Don't care, other than the expense of it or if it's an active hindrance to the role. I don't need to 'express my individuality' at work. Maybe because I've been in some sort of uniform much of my professional life, it's just not a thing I give a shit about.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I would prefer not to have to wear suits and ties if I can avoid it. Casual dress was one of the things that drew me to my current job, but it was way down on the list of benefits behind higher pay, a chance to move around, and a chance for opportunities that just wouldn’t be available in my prior job. If the choice was between taking a pay cut or having to wear suits and ties to work again, I’d have to ask how much the pay cut is and then I’d have to give it some thought. My prior agency paid for the tailoring, alterations, and dry cleaning for the suits detectives had to buy so the financial hit wasn’t as heavy.

Absolutely the reverse issue for me.

I work in marketing and advertising, mostly for technology clients. An agency that required employees to wear suits/jackets/dresses, etc., would not be able to keep clients and would soon go out of business.

I have enough seniority that showing up in a jacket/suit and tie would be treated like a massive practical joke the first time. Doing it again would be cause for serious concern and could lead to me quietly being let go. If someone with less seniority did it, we'd move directly to the serious concern/quietly letting go phase.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

As a general rule quality of life matters a lot. This may or may not extend to clothes. As a general rule the higher up the food chain you get the more corrupt the system becomes.

Let me give you an example. Years ago a company upstairs from my office at the time ran a really cool operation. They brokered private jets. They would sell jets to Exxon, or Chevron or whoever could afford such a luxury item. Naturally this type of job wasn't cut out for your average joe. You needed to be HIGHLY qualified and HIGHLY experienced to do what they did. They had an ex-fighter pilot on staff, a retired commercial pilot from one of the big airlines, and others along this caliber. Then 'as a favor' they hired an intern for the summer. A fresh faced kid that never flew a plane in his life. Within six months he was named CEO. Also within six months they had one employee left.

That 'intern' was somehow or another related to one of the investors that funded the company and he made life miserable for EVERYONE in a variety of ways.

In their office the dress code was overall pretty relaxed. They could wear blue jeans most of the time. What most of them did was kept a fresh set of dry cleaned clothes in the office and if needed they would change for meetings or whatever, but 90% of the time it was very relaxed. Their problem wasn't at all related to, nor solved by a dress code.

I am pretty sour and jaded on a lot of things. Trying to find a quality employer is difficult. There are an abundance of completely shitty employers out there so finding a good one is not easy. Whether that be from top level people or horrible middle management the result is generally the same.

For me I will take less money to not have to put up with some of the stupidity.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    The clothes themselves, I don't care, although if I have to invest in a ton of them then I'd need to get paid enough to afford them, on top of whatever I make.

If it's a symptom of the company having really ridiculous, out-of-step demands for various non-essential things I'd have to be getting paid enough to put up with that, I guess. Like if I have to start wearing clothes Craig approves first, and someone is coming around and checking to make sure my pocket square was personally blessed by Tom Ford, I would require a lot of money to put up with that. But if it's just normal "dress halfway decently" professional requirements...no, I assume that, frankly.

But "wear clothes I prefer" doesn't rate as a major concern for me.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I’m in a line of work where I’m #1 *expected* to be artistic, and #2 where people can tell within the first 90 seconds of interacting with me in a professional setting (onstage or teaching/coaching) whether I know my stuff or not. So, I can absolutely wear what I want, within the accepted standards for decency/obscenity/cleanliness. As I type this from my latte-fueled perch at the local coffee place, I’m in quasi-skinny jeans, with bright red socks that match the .5 inch brand tag on my otherwise very outdoorsy grey wool sweater, with matching bright red t-shirt(age) underneath, with snappy Allen Edmonds “street” series shoes, black. In other words, I have a rigorous dress code, but it’s mine.

If it ever came to a time when I had to adhere to an “overt” (as opposed to cultural) dress code, I’d do it if survival was at stake, otherwise, I’d bail. But whatever; I’m in an odd profession.

More germane to the OP: if large employers A and B are similar in work expectations and pay, and A wants everyone in the same polo shirt and B doesn’t care, A will have less people coming in from an increasingly unreliable labor market. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I actually prefer to work where there is a company uniform provided by the company.

I spent the first 10 years professionally in companies that provided uniforms. (Japanese and then German). It was provided by and cleaned by the company.

The current company that I work for lets us dress however we want within the dress code. I typically wear jeans and a polo or khakis and a polo.

I preferred the Japanese way of providing the uniform based on your job. Line worker vs supervisor vs maintenance vs engineering, etc. Make is very easy for new employees to know who to see for what question, makes it obvious as a manager if you have a problem (maintenance cluster) or really bad problem (mantenance cluster with a cherry on top, i.e. engineer involved) and it gives an esprit de corps for the individual teams and the company overall. Also looks really nice when customers do a walk through. (Engineers at my company looked like Autozone.) We even labeled our area as the "Get in the Zone, the Engineering Zone" until we were asked to removed it.

I wouldn't leave or choose a job over any of it though.

As an academic, I almost never dress in suits. About 15 years ago I was invited to a Fortune 500 company to discuss intellectual property.

At the start of the meeting, the VP commented "You're dressed very informally. We take things seriously here."

My response was "So do I, but I don't work for you. I don't wear a suit and tie unless there's more than a million dollars on the table. Is there?"
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    As an academic, I almost never dress in suits. About 15 years ago I was invited to a Fortune 500 company to discuss intellectual property.

At the start of the meeting, the VP commented "You're dressed very informally. We take things seriously here."

My response was "So do I, but I don't work for you. I don't wear a suit and tie unless there's more than a million dollars on the table. Is there?"
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

A company setting clothing requirements beyond safety/ppe standards would not be a good fit for me, regardless of income. It is a giant flashing warning sign screaming "we arbitrarily limit solutions to those we feel won't cause us criticism." They probably still say "no one gets fired for buying IBM..."

User Tag List