Thread: Retraining Bad Habits?

Retraining Bad Habits?

This is an interesting one. I'll start by giving some background.

I started shooting red dot equipped pistols years ago when Unity Tactical first released their Atom slides. I mounted up a T1 and ran with that for about a year. I despised the endeavor and quit. Back to iron sights we go. Fast forward to 2015/2016 and I decided I wanted to give red dots a whirl despite running iron sights at work. I trained exclusively with a red dot on my own time and saw zero degradation in performance going back to my iron sights. I was also no longer using a hard front sight focus and was instead using a threat based focus when shooting irons. Good stuff.

From 2015/2016-early 2022 I shot a Trijicon SRO, Holosun 509T and a 507K. 99% of my time was spent on the SRO.

In early 2022 we transitioned to G17.5's MOS's with Trijicon RMR's. I absolutely despise the RMR but I have no real choice at the present time. I set up a training pistol to mirror my duty pistol and i'm running an RMR exclusively.

I noticed something in a recent video I took. I am dipping my head into the gun and and at the last second raising the pistol/red dot up to my eye line as the RMR window/housing is significantly smaller than my SRO.

I need to retrain my index but i'm not sure how. I'd also love to isolate out the head dip if possible. I probably know the answer to this. Time and a lot of dry fire plus live fire. With time, I will probably develop another index but I'm curious as to what you guys are doing to actually develop your index.

Anyone have any techniques/drills to work on this? The problem is irritating as I can noticeably see a drop in performance going to the RMR versus my SRO. Draw times to first shots are significantly slower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTyup1zYQ1A

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post

I started shooting red dot equipped pistols years ago when Unity Tactical first released their Atom slides. I mounted up a T1 and ran with that for about a year. I despised the endeavor and quit. Back to iron sights we go. Fast forward to 2015/2016 and I decided I wanted to give red dots a whirl despite running iron sights at work. I trained exclusively with a red dot on my own time and saw zero degradation in performance going back to my iron sights. I was also no longer using a hard front sight focus and was instead using a threat based focus when shooting irons. Good stuff.

From 2015/2016-early 2022 I shot a Trijicon SRO, Holosun 509T and a 507K. 99% of my time was spent on the SRO.

In early 2022 we transitioned to G17.5's MOS's with Trijicon RMR's. I absolutely despise the RMR but I have no real choice at the present time. I set up a training pistol to mirror my duty pistol and i'm running an RMR exclusively.

I noticed something in a recent video I took. I am dipping my head into the gun and and at the last second raising the pistol/red dot up to my eye line as the RMR window/housing is significantly smaller than my SRO.

I need to retrain my index but i'm not sure how. I'd also love to isolate out the head dip if possible. I probably know the answer to this. Time and a lot of dry fire plus live fire. With time, I will probably develop another index but I'm curious as to what you guys are doing to actually develop your index.

Anyone have any techniques/drills to work on this? The problem is irritating as I can noticeably see a drop in performance going to the RMR versus my SRO. Draw times to first shots are significantly slower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTyup1zYQ1A
    Put a piece of tape on the mirror at eye level, you should not see your reflection, that would indicate you're dipping your head. You should only see the tape and the dot superimposed over it. You could start with one hand presentations and put your fist under your chin to prevent the dip, and progress from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I can help with this.

It’s a little long winded to type out here so will DM you.

User Tag List