Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U.S. CBP instructor dies after accidental shooting at Miami Range

I had a light bulb moment back in '87-'88 when I watched a SEAL blow two of his toes off with a shotgun. I was very young in my shooting journey and I figured if a high-speed frogman could do that, then I'd better watch out.

When I was on SWAT in the early days there was the attitude of, "This might be seen as unsafe, but we're all switched on and we trust each other." This was usually in regard to things like muzzle safety in the stack. It took a bit of maturity as a team to do away with that.

Years later, I'm running through a rifle drill as a Trooper. I'm moving through the problem, engaging and disengaging the safety, as needed, when the range master tells me, "You're a shooter, you don't have to worry about the safety. " Whaaaaaat?

Familiarity breeds contempt.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

• It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    From 1856 to 2022, and the issue continues.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I had a light bulb moment back in '87-'88 when I watched a SEAL blow two of his toes off with a shotgun. I was very young in my shooting journey and I figured if a high-speed frogman could do that, then I'd better watch out.

When I was on SWAT in the early days there was the attitude of, "This might be seen as unsafe, but we're all switched on and we trust each other." This was usually in regard to things like muzzle safety in the stack. It took a bit of maturity as a team to do away with that.

Years later, I'm running through a rifle drill as a Trooper. I'm moving through the problem, engaging and disengaging the safety, as needed, when the range master tells me, "You're a shooter, you don't have to worry about the safety. " Whaaaaaat?

Familiarity breeds contempt.
    Had the same unsolicited reaction from some schmuck that happened to see some simminutions training we were doing. We were conditioned to de cock our Sig 228’s after engaging when continuing to clear. Apparently this Airsoft clown knew a better way and had to try to “enlighten “ us. We just laughed.

Site Supporter
    I had already participated in an run scenario training when I read "Training at the Speed of Life". When I read the book, I thought Murray was something of an alarmist. The more experience I gained as an instructor, the more I realized he was absolutely right.

I’ve become a firm believer in Draconian safety measure for any type of training that involves pointing guns at live role players.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    And just a few weeks later it’s happened again in Texas (DFW area).

Thankfully the Officer is still alive. I don’t know who the “third party training provider” was.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ay/ar-AA13MFdK

Sansom Park officer shot during active shooter training at elementary school, police say

FOREST HILL, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) — A Sansom Park police officer is in critical condition after reportedly getting shot during an active shooter training session at an elementary school Saturday afternoon.

At approximately 2:12 p.m. Nov. 5, Forest Hill police received a call that an officer was down during a "training accident," Everman Police Chief Craig Spencer said.

The officer was reportedly shot with a live round and then taken by ambulance to John Peter Smith Hospital where she is in critical but stable condition. Her identity has not been released at this time.

The session was put on by a third party training provider at David K Sellars Elementary in Forest Hill, Spencer said. Several other agencies, including the Sansom Park Police Department, also participated in the training.

Spencer said the third party provider supplied the equipment used and that there was no plan for there to be any live fire training.

The Tarrant County Sheriff's Office along with the Texas Rangers are currently investigating the incident.

Forest Hill Mayor Stephanie Boardingham has since asked the community to send prayers and condolences to the family of the officer.

"We would just like to send our prayers and condolences to the family of the officer that was shot. Also, we ask for the same for our officers here in Forest Hill, as well as all officers that were attending this training," Boardingham said. "Please help us to pray for the officers, and for everyone who is conducting the investigation so that we can all get through this."

User Tag List