Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hunting daypack recommendation

You can always make a large pack smaller but not vice versa.
    30L is a pretty useful size.
    Pack the 10 essentials, plus particulars for task and any conveniences you like.
    Prefer flat earth-tone colors to keep a pack useful for normal town/school/travel tasks.
    The right shade of gray takes on whatever colors are around it and looks "normal."
    Prefer non-reflective trim, zipper pulls. I'll add them if I want them, but don't want them printed or sewn in.
    No molle, prefer less- to non-mil look.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Concur. I have never found pack under 30L useful in a variety of conditions. That is sort of my low end size any more.
    I find keeping a pack small helps keeps your load light and simple. 25L would be my max for a day trip unless the need to haul speciality equipment- like climbing ropes or trail building tools or in deep winter - emergency shelter/thick layers/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    I just started turkey and pheasant hunting last year (complete noob, grew up in the suburbs & city, never even knew anyone who hunted). In the market for a day pack that could be used for both, and possibly other types of small game hunting. I live in the northeast, so lots of hills and thick wooded areas.

I've only used my Osprey Daylite pack (13L) for the time being, but its more of a hiking/urban travel day pack. It's brightly colored and doesn't really have too much organization. I'm looking for something that has slightly more capacity, in a hunting appropriate color, and decent quality to price.

I also need advice on what equipment would be a good idea to pack for day hunts. Currently, I'm just packing water, compass, calls, IFAK, some snacks, rain shell jacket, battery pack for my phone, knife, multitool, flashlight, and some trash bags to hold game. Am I missing anything that you more experienced hunters would recommend?
    I’d add about 10-20’ of surveyors marking tape to your list. It’s nice to mark a trail. An emergency whistle is always nice to have too.

Stone Glacier makes really really nice bags if you ever plan on carrying heavier loads.

I experimented w/ an Eberlestock Gun Runner this year for moose hunting. I wanted something w/ quick rifle access since I use hiking poles (have a prosthetic leg). The bag worked as advertised and has plenty of space for going out for the day, but the straps need to be reconfigured/sewn/modded/moved to pull it in tighter to the top of the shoulders.

I have three HPG packs, Umlindi, Aston House BC, and a Ute, all in the ranger green/khaki. I use the AHBC the most. I’ve used the Ute on a day hunt in winter where I brought extra insulation but generally it’s too big for what I usually do. I would like to do a little backpacking though so it’ll be good for that. Sometimes the Umlindi is just a bit too small but gets more use in the summer.

Another loyal HPG fan here. If you can only have lone, the Umlindi is a great size and when compressed not much bigger than the Tarahumara. You can expand either with a stuff sack or pockets if you need the flexibility.

I’ve hammock camped overnight in the SE US out of the Tarahumara. It’s doable. It’s my go to day hike pack, and what I’ve taken for day hunts in the SE US. I have an Ute, but it’s way too big for what I usually do, I have it as a hiking/just in case bag. I sometimes wish that it was an Umlindi, it’d get used more.

I've found that I prefer a bigger bag. Just being able to shove an item into it vs having to carefully pack everything into its place is something that I appreciate. I do mostly big game hunting and over the last 5 years I've gone to frame packs (kifaru and am now trying seek outside) so that I can pack an animal out vs having to drag it even a short distance. I can't reccomend a specific pack as the ones I have experience with will probably be overkill unless you want to pack in a camp.

I would look for something that provides some kind of internal frame though with some load lifters. I had a Camelback motherlode I used for years as a daypack and with anything in it I was essentially a sloppy beach ball with straps. It sucked and i really didn't know better.

I have a little mystery ranch (Coolee I believe) that I use if I'm just going for a little hike or something. It's actually quite nice and might be along the lines of what you are looking for. It is on the small side though.

If you think you might end up getting into big game hunting you might look at something from kifaru, stone glacier, mystery ranch, exo, or seek outside that has a load shelf and a frame. Even if I was hunting whitetail in the east I would 100% quarter an animal and pack it out on my back vs dragging it more than a couple hundred yards to my vehicle.

Sorry that definitely more of a rambling response than I had planned, but I hope it was somewhat useful.

ETA. Some pictures to show the load lifters or lack thereof.
    Never mind, my phone won't let me do anything after I have selected an image to upload. Sorry.
    Last edited by pyrotechnic; 10-21-2022 at 09:10 AM.

Site Supporter
    Edge of Lane.

Extrapolating from the EDC/Hiking world

I tend to default to a bigger bag because as others have said a smaller bag can never be made bigger but you do not have to fill a bigger bag all the way up.

SO LONG AS

the bigger bag does not size me out of an overhead bin, under seat area and/or overload the straps i.e. my old school Golite Jam Backpack can physically carry more than 25 lbs. BUT-The straps on the bag are increasingly uncomfortable to me on any load over 25lbs.

MR, HPG and LBT are all 3 quality makes that will have a 25L -35L pack in the 150-300USD range that will give you a lifetime of service.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Another fan of Hill People Gear here. On my day hunts (I’m in the NE as well), I have a Tarahumara that I really like.

lots of recommendations for the HPG Tarahumara bag. Looks high quality but with only a single large main compartment. Does the lack of internal organization and separation bother you? Or the lack of a quick access pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    lots of recommendations for the HPG Tarahumara bag. Looks high quality but with only a single large main compartment. Does the lack of internal organization and separation bother you? Or the lack of a quick access pocket?
    The brand seems to have a cult-like following so this commentary might be viewed as heresy. I picked up one in "Like New" condition not too long after they came out and found it terribly lacking. The overall capacity isn't large enough to be useful for any of my activities and using ditty bags in an attempt at organization just kills what little space you have. I didn't find the water bottle pockets well designed and the "yoke" suspension just did not fit my build. Quality of construction seemed plenty good enough, but I was totally underwhelmed with the overall design and features and sold it without ever taking it out of the house.

In contrast, I got a Kit Bag right after they were introduced and I have found it to be a very useful piece of gear.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List