Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Hunt with RDS on a Shotgun?

You might try some of the boutique TTS PREDATOR loads from Apex Ammunition.

They come in 2-4-BB and are Va. Approved for deer.

My oldest son (32 ) swears by their Turkey loads out of a 20-ga. Remington Ute 870 w Romeo5. They ragdoll big toms out to 50 yards.

The deer loads are going for nearly $7 a shot per round...
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 10-18-2022 at 11:35 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Not sure if this is better here or shotgun forum, or general since it's hunting related.

Deer season is here. I typically still hunt with a rifle from a stand, but i will get invitations to a couple of clubs which are shotgun only, they run dogs.

Last year i missed two does inside 50 yrds with my Beretta 391. I took it to the range and tried patterning it and was amazed to see how poorly this thing shoots buckshot. Tried different chokes and loads, got it significantly better with a hotter load but still not super great.

Was thinking about mounting an H2 to it and adjusting the aim to hit POI. Wanted to see if anyone has done this and what their experiences were.
    I don't hunt, but I would be extremely confident in hitting anything I aim for within 100 yards using a 1301/aimpoint zeroed at 25 yards with slugs. It's a laser.

I have not stretched Buckshot out beyond 25 yards, but it flight control is the same POI as the slug out to that for sure.

Not a red dot, but I have a Leupold "turkeyplex" scope on my 12 gauge Remington 870 20" Remchoke cantilever barrel for turkey hunting. It works well out to 50 yards.

On my 12 gauge Remington 870 home defense shotgun barrel I have XS Big Dot Tritium rifle sights, which are awesome with buckshot and slugs.

I've never considered putting a red dot sight on a shotgun, but I understand your situation. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Not sure if this is better here or shotgun forum, or general since it's hunting related.

Deer season is here. I typically still hunt with a rifle from a stand, but i will get invitations to a couple of clubs which are shotgun only, they run dogs.

Last year i missed two does inside 50 yrds with my Beretta 391. I took it to the range and tried patterning it and was amazed to see how poorly this thing shoots buckshot. Tried different chokes and loads, got it significantly better with a hotter load but still not super great.

Was thinking about mounting an H2 to it and adjusting the aim to hit POI. Wanted to see if anyone has done this and what their experiences were.

Would such a system also work on ducks?

Thanks
    cc
    For shooting deer over running dogs a RDS equipped shotgun with a good buckshot load is about perfect.

Works great for squirrels or turkeys, obviously with an appropriate load. Anytime you are dining the shotgun instead of pointing the shotgun, I think a RDS will shine on a shotgun.

I have no experience with ducks, so I can’t comment.

My wife turkey hunts with a Burris FF3 on her 870.

She’s cross dominant. The dot makes her a very confident shooter where before she got dot she was ready to quit

Name:  70E19374-F7A9-4905-AEA2-396807029D82.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  100.0 KB

25 or so yards running. Federal 2 3/4 8 pellet FC. Shot twice, first shot dropped 5 pellets into the lung. Second shot hit rear hind quarter. 1301 Holosun 507c.
    Last edited by vaspence; 10-22-2022 at 12:06 AM.

User Tag List