Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for minimal or ultrathin kydex holster for casual carry with my LCR 22

Looking for minimal or ultrathin kydex holster for casual carry with my LCR 22

This is for a lounge around gun ideally in my shorts or elastic band sweatpants around the house that may also flex into the occasional belt carry or smartcarry/enigma set up. I would need it easy to take on and off.

The main thing I am looking for is a ultrathin kydex type holster with a single dcc clip with or without the ability to add a mod wing. I have considered vanguard type holsters with a dcc clip and mod wing but am leaning towards a fuller coverage holster if the difference in thickness/weight/comfort is negligible. However I may be ok with trigger guard cover type options that accept a dcc clip, I know vanguard doesn't offer one for the lcr. Ideally I wouldn't want the holster to be so bulky it can fit inside a smart carry if I decide to go that route.

Am considering Henry holster icon 2, philster city special, tulster true hide kydex, dsg Apollo, I'm not sure if these options are particularly thick tho. Open to suggestions.

Ps I'm not sure if this should go in holsters or revolvers but I figure the revolver group is more informed.

I won't be shy from leather options as long as they meet the criteria.

FIST makes ultra thin kydex holsters, but I'm not sure if they will work with the DCC clips.

https://www.fist-holsters.com/store.html

Don't laugh at the site, as their products are primarily marketed towards women, but some of their products look like they will meet your criteria quite well, particularly those that are set up with the Utili Clip. My wife has one of the original FB holsters, and the Kydex is thin but sturdy. They list the LCR.

https://www.flashbangstore.com/colle...waist-holsters
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Another vote for the FIST. Their standard clip is hellastrong, not sure why you would need the DCC. Of course, they don't offer (or didn't last time I looked) anything with a wing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Another vote for the FIST. Their standard clip is hellastrong, not sure why you would need the DCC. Of course, they don't offer (or didn't last time I looked) anything with a wing.
    Unless someone is super skinny or has a huge grip on the gun a wing is usually unnecessary on a small snubby. Plus wings don’t really work with elastic waistbands in my experience since the elastic just stretches over the wing rather than cramming the grip into the torso.

A DSG Apollo would work great as well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    FIST makes ultra thin kydex holsters, but I'm not sure if they will work with the DCC clips.

https://www.fist-holsters.com/store.html

Don't laugh at the site, as their products are primarily marketed towards women, but some of their products look like they will meet your criteria quite well, particularly those that are set up with the Utili Clip. My wife has one of the original FB holsters, and the Kydex is thin but sturdy. They list the LCR.

https://www.flashbangstore.com/colle...waist-holsters
    I have a FIST ultra thin Kydex holster for a Colt Detective Special. The holster conceals very well, holds the gun securely, and facilitates an easy draw. The clip is permanently attached to the holster, but is ideally designed.

Good lord, I think FIST still has the same website from 2003...what a bitch to navigate.

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Unless someone is super skinny or has a huge grip on the gun a wing is usually unnecessary on a small snubby. Plus wings don’t really work with elastic waistbands in my experience since the elastic just stretches over the wing rather than cramming the grip into the torso.
    So much this. Wings function by having a force applied to them which is a result of belt tension reacting inward against the wing. A lack of tension results in a lack of force. In addition, the cylinder generally creates a 5°-8° inward rotation of the grip in the first place, adding a wing doesn't help a ton. The other issue is width and thickness, the snubby holster is already wide, adding a wing in one way makes it wider, adding it over the trigger guard makes it thicker and your "stuff" under the belt is greatly increased.

Our general suggestion is to try things as is, then add the features needed to refine things to meet your concealment needs. As for the OP, there's not gonna be too much gained with a thinner material, and so much more lost in durability. Any of the aforementioned LCR holsters should do the trick.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star Gear View Post
    So much this. Wings function by having a force applied to them which is a result of belt tension reacting inward against the wing. A lack of tension results in a lack of force. In addition, the cylinder generally creates a 5°-8° inward rotation of the grip in the first place, adding a wing doesn't help a ton. The other issue is width and thickness, the snubby holster is already wide, adding a wing in one way makes it wider, adding it over the trigger guard makes it thicker and your "stuff" under the belt is greatly increased.

Our general suggestion is to try things as is, then add the features needed to refine things to meet your concealment needs. As for the OP, there's not gonna be too much gained with a thinner material, and so much more lost in durability. Any of the aforementioned LCR holsters should do the trick.
    Tom, are these shipping with a DCC clip now instead of the wider one?

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Tom, are these shipping with a DCC clip now instead of the wider one?
    The SP101 is the only one currently shipping with a DCC, and the only one with the height tweaked to have our preferred height adjustment range with one attached. The K6S and Taurus small frame, both 3", are next, with a J-frame and LCR refresh right after.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

User Tag List