Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Current top CCW belt options?

Sorry, too late to edit my post just above...and the bonus is that neither of the belts has nor requires velcro.

Finis.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by cosermann View Post
    Lots of good belts mentioned in this thread, but this reminds me of one I thought I'd mention as I've found it to be such a good value, and outside of local-ish circles, it seems to fly under the radar.

That belt would be Daltech Force's Super Bio belt. Nothing fancy. Just a good solid belt for around $50 (slightly less on sale). Interesting features: 3/4" hole spacing. You can use just about any conventional buckle you'd like. It's a polymer molded around a webbing core. Stiff, yet flexible. Same color all the way through so scratches don't show like they can on a leather belt.

I've been beating on one EDC and in training classes for 6 years now and wear is almost undetectable. No elongation of the "hole" used on a daily basis. Can't say the same for leather belts I've tried, velcro wearing out, etc. No sag. Still straight. Stout belt. Good value in my book.

https://www.daltechforce.com/collect...rbio-gun-belts
    Sorry if this was answered before, but do you know how it holds up OWB with a heavy gun like a 5” 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by equin View Post
    Sorry if this was answered before, but do you know how it holds up OWB with a heavy gun like a 5” 1911?
    I don't carry a 1911, but it carries a G17 and 2 spare mags just fine (approx. 53.5 oz). That said, they're quite popular around my area and I've never heard anyone complain (including the 1911 guys).

Site Supporter
    Before Daltech was selling Biothane in the tactical space, Maxpedition was doing so with the Liger Belt. Now unobtanium btw. I have 2 Ligers and have used them extensively IWB/AIWB/OWB with 1911s.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-L...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I have only handled the Daltech. Given the feel and my experience with the material, You would be GTG running a 1911 OWB.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I have gone exclusively with Groove Belts. They are plenty stiff to hold my Glock 19 with SRO and a clinch pick all day everyday yet are stretchy enough as to be completely comfortable all day. I used to use Wilderness Tactical belts but they are too stiff for me for AIWB. I still use a 5 stitch polymer insert Wilderness as my IDPA gamer belt.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Gents, has anyone tried Volund’s Atlas in Slim Biothane configuration? 1.8mm biothane may be the ticket for AIWB.

I have used the regular scuba body non-slim Atlas in that role, and while it’s doable, it’s more stiff and less flexible than ideal and was better relegated to OWB range/game belt.
    @vcdgrips I’m generally a fan of biothane. My First Spear biothane belt has served me well for the better part of a decade, though it was considerably less expensive back then.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by cosermann View Post
    I don't carry a 1911, but it carries a G17 and 2 spare mags just fine (approx. 53.5 oz). That said, they're quite popular around my area and I've never heard anyone complain (including the 1911 guys).
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Before Daltech was selling Biothane in the tactical space, Maxpedition was doing so with the Liger Belt. Now unobtanium btw. I have 2 Ligers and have used them extensively IWB/AIWB/OWB with 1911s.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-L...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I have only handled the Daltech. Given the feel and my experience with the material, You would be GTG running a 1911 OWB.
    Thanks. I love my Mastermind for AIWB/IWB, but it’s not ideal for heavy OWB. For OWB, I love my Mean Gene Leather belts, which hold up a 1911 and spare mags easily. But their thickness limits the use of some holsters. I noticed the Daltech is only 5/32” thick, and if it holds up a 1911 well, then this might work for those other holsters that don’t fit thicker belts.

I know this thread is a few months old but I wanted to give an update. I finally got around to ordering the Daltech SuperBio belt. I got the all-black version and really like how it looks. It can double as a casual belt or dress belt. It’s also very comfortable, and while it’s stiff enough to serve as a good gun belt it’s also thinner than your typical 1/4” thick leather gun belt, which means it’s much easier to slide holster slots through. It’s that latter characteristic that makes it really shine. The only drawback, however, is that it can’t quite hold up to carrying my fullsize, all-steel 1911 in an OWB holster as well as my 1/4” Mean Gene Leather gun belt without having to tighten it down a bit much to keep it from sagging or bowing out the gun/holster combo. But I don’t have to tighten it down as much as I would have with a few other nylon/synthetic gun belts I’ve tried when carrying the same heavy gun in an OWB holster. With that said, it handles my heavy 1911 in an IWB holster just fine.

All in all, I’m definitely keeping it, and I think it’s a pretty good value for what you get. But I’m still on the search for that elusive belt thin enough to easily thread holster slots through but strong and stiff enough to handle a heavy 1911 in an OWB holster without sagging or needing to overtighten it a bit.

Site Supporter
    EQ

Thanks for the update.

As belt thickness is driving the train, perhaps the polymer lined wilderness belt mentioned in post #6? The 1.75 Wilderness Instructor Belt CSM (polymer lined) was THE school solution for an entire generation of 1911 folks. Absolutely thinner than most two ply leather gun belts. I used mine with great success in a number of classes to include a invitation on Gunsite 250 running a Kimber series 1 5 inch all steel 1911 w a double mag pouch OWB.

Given that some pants these days do not have true 1.75 inch belt loops, I suspect that the 1.5 inch version of the instructor belt (CSM), might be a better buy. Given that strength/weight bearing is driving the train, I would likely stick with the original version with the metal buckle as opposed to the “Frequent Flyer “ model which uses polymer rings.

https://www.thewilderness.com/belts/...structor-belt/

IIRC, Daltech sells a leather on too though the insert is steel and you may find the two plus of leather too thick.
    https://www.daltechforce.com/collect...r-deep-black-1
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Thanks for the reply and excellent info! Funny you mention the Wilderness CSM belt as an option as that is one I’ve recently been looking at. I do have a 1.75” wide Klik belt with reinforced inner that works superbly to handle all kinds of weight. But it is just as thick as the 1/4” thick leather gun belts, and because it is 1.75” wide, pant belt loops and holster slots become the limiting factor. Instead, I use it in conjunction with a “battle belt” for the occasional Run-n-Gun biathlon events.

I was wondering about the thickness of the Wilderness CSM belts, and now that you say they’re actually a bit thinner than the dedicated leather gun belts, I may give that one a try.

Thanks again!

User Tag List