Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Current top CCW belt options?

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    As JTQ said upthread it is the same as Langdon sells. The owner of EDC Belt Co is an old buddy and stands behind his products.
    Well I ordered one this morning directly from edc belt co hope they ship fast it sure looks like a nice belt to me.

I attended my first pistol training class at Gunsite in Paulden, AZ in 1981.

That's where I was introduced to the Wilderness Instructor's belt, and I have been using them ever since then. I have used them to carry revolvers ranging in size from a S&W "J"frame to a Ruger Redhawk and autos ranging in size from a Glock G43 to A CZ 97B.

They have been used in the field on horseback, on ATV's, in UTV's, in Jeeps, pickups, SUV's and on foot. For EDC in the Phoenix, AZ summers and the Colorado mountains. OWB, IWB, and IWB.

I have used the 3-stitch, the 5-stitch, the "Frequent Flyer", the Low Pro, and the ones with and without the reinforcing insert. The colors of choice have varied depending on my mood, and/or the color of the holster and ammo carriers I was using.

Sizes have varied depending on my waist size, which has varied over the past 40 years.

I can honestly state that with the exception of the Low Pro model (which i don't care for), I have been 100% satisfied with every Wilderness belt I have owned. I would add: The folks in the Wilderness store advised me that I might likely be disappointed with the Low Pro belt, knowing my preferences for the features in the many, many Wilderness belts I had purchased over the years. I find it just right for a S&W "J" frame revolver and/or a G43, so the belt gets occasional use . . . . it's just not my favorite.

I have no opinion on gun belts made by other manufacturers. I have found a brand that has served all my needs for over 40 years, so I plan to stick with Wilderness.

I can't think of any other article or item that I have been so brand loyal to for so long. That covers a lot of "stuff', including pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, motorcycles, cars, trucks, shirts, pants, coats, shoes, boots, hats, furniture, tools, ammo, knives, holsters, optics, and many, many more.

Due to necessity I discovered that a thin leather dress belt worked fine carrying a 5" steel 1911 IWB. One of the few times I was forced to go out wearing a suit and had never given thought to carry while dressed up. I didn't thing a Wilderness Belt or an Ares Belt was going to look right or fit the belt loops on dress pants.

After that experience carrying a 1911 in an Andrews Custom McDaniel II IWB I figure just about any belt works for AWIB/IWB.

I have not read this entire thread but I am not sure how people are making the Tenicor Zero work for them where it is the "best" EDC belt. There was a time where stiff was in because floppy JCPenny leather belts were trash. The Tenicor Zero is a 1.5inch nylon version of a jcpenny floppy belt. I don't know how we went from floppy belts were bad to now floppy belts are good. Yes, its extremely comfortable and low profile, but I have to use a huge wedge to get the gun to not cant out over the top and even then it still does so. I would go with the Ares Aegis Gen 2 - not as stiff as a volund and no velcro. The buckles is also trimmed down form the gen 1. Down side - its expensive.

I've used a ton of different belts and I love the Tenicor belt. It's the perfect thickness and the buckle works like magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I have not read this entire thread but I am not sure how people are making the Tenicor Zero work for them where it is the "best" EDC belt. There was a time where stiff was in because floppy JCPenny leather belts were trash. The Tenicor Zero is a 1.5inch nylon version of a jcpenny floppy belt. I don't know how we went from floppy belts were bad to now floppy belts are good. Yes, its extremely comfortable and low profile, but I have to use a huge wedge to get the gun to not cant out over the top and even then it still does so. I would go with the Ares Aegis Gen 2 - not as stiff as a volund and no velcro. The buckles is also trimmed down form the gen 1. Down side - its expensive.
    Well, your experience is your experience and in the end is the only thing that counts. But I find the Zero works great for me with a G26 or a G19 in a JMCK or DSG holster equipped with either a Mastermind "Pad" or their smallest "Pillow" offering. The "Pad" being the flatter version of their pillow line.

I still like my Mastermind belts, but to be honest, they haven't been worn in months. (Though I'm still holding on to them, as I'm sure there'll come a time.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    CB

Appreciate the fact that you front that you have not read the whole thread. Taken collectively, the consensus is that the Tenicor works well in the AIWB (and to a lesser extent IWB) role with a polymer gun.

Based on my experience, the farther you move away from that, the less well it works.

If I was going to only buy one casual CCW Belt, it would be the Wilderness 5 stich with the Frequent Flyer Rings as it works OWB as well.

If was going to add a second for strictly AIWB use it would be the Tenicor unless it was a heavier gun i.e all steel 1911, etc.

If I was going to AIWB and IWB with some frequency, particularly if the gun was heavier, I would go Mastermind Tactics.

Clear as mud....
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I've used the Wilderness Instructor 5-stitch for the last five years, having recently switched to a Kore Essentials, 1.5" nylon. So far, I find the Kore Essentials belt a lot stiffer and like the micro adjustment capability on the fly.

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I’ve said this a thousand times, I love the Wilderness instructor belt as I think their webbing has the best combination of vertical stiffness and longitudinal flexibility.

I just wish, wish, wish they would do one with a Cobra or other similar buckle that doesn’t require de-threading to remove pants.
    Just you wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Stiff was only ever good for OWB where the belt was providing support to keep the holster and supported equipment from rotating outward. Even the first Volund Gearworks belts, for IWB/AIWB, weren't stiff and were great for that reason. Myself and a couple others actually encouraged Volund to go less stiff well before that was even picked up on as much as it has been.

Looking back at those emails is quite interesting too.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I’ve said this a thousand times, I love the Wilderness instructor belt as I think their webbing has the best combination of vertical stiffness and longitudinal flexibility.

I just wish, wish, wish they would do one with a Cobra or other similar buckle that doesn’t require de-threading to remove pants.
    I agree with you. I think it is one tick softer than the Aegis which can make the hips a little sore after a long day. A non-velcro closing mechanism would make that belt amazing (for me).

User Tag List