Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are .22 j frames impossible to find?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I'm about a quarter inch from ordering one of these. My LCP2 .22 is just a tad too finicky.
    I did break 1 second for a 3 shot FTS from the pocket at 3 yards into an IPSC target with it. That oughtta reset an OODA loop.
    My lgs has had new and used versions of these revolvers. The ones that I examined had very heavy double action pulls. Hammer or main springs have a higher weight to set off the rim fire round. This weight coupled with a stout rebound spring causes a really heavy da pull. These statements have applied to rimfire J frames for decades. The Ruger LCR .22 has a strong hammer spring also. Though I like snub revolvers including these, I'm not certain how useful the rimfire versions are for self defense. Bulk is the same as a .38 Spl J frame.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    My lgs has had new and used versions of these revolvers. The ones that I examined had very heavy double action pulls. Hammer or main springs have a higher weight to set off the rim fire round. This weight coupled with a stout rebound spring causes a really heavy da pull. These statements have applied to rimfire J frames for decades. The Ruger LCR .22 has a strong hammer spring also. Though I like snub revolvers including these, I'm not certain how useful the rimfire versions are for self defense. Bulk is the same as a .38 Spl J frame.
    .38 is just a no-go for my arthritic thumb. As is .380 mostly and definitely the pocket 9mms.
    The trigger pull weight is a concern. as is QC. I had a 43c about 5 years ago that had to go back to S&W-twice-before I got a cylinder shot through it. When it finally worked I'd lost interest in it, as I was still a LEO and carrying my service pistol. I'm retired into the "snubby lifestyle" and am all in on pocket carry(again, arthritis in the hip).

Site Supporter
    I understand arthritis. I got enough for us both.

Site Supporter
    @feudist. Look at the Bersa Thunder 22lr semi auto which is Walther PP size. Mine was reliable and accurate. I regret not keeping it.

Probably made in runs

They seem to make some of the lower demanded guns in runs, rather than all the time. They'll be everywhere and then nowhere. I work at an LGS and it stinks for people because some of the low-demand guns are high-dollar, so by the time they have saved up the scratch for a some really cool gun, they all dry up.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    @feudist. Look at the Bersa Thunder 22lr semi auto which is Walther PP size. Mine was reliable and accurate. I regret not keeping it.
    I actually had one of those a few years back. It ran well.

KelTec P16 is surprisingly good too. A worthy replacement for the bersa.

Site Supporter
    I'm about a quarter inch from ordering one of these. My LCP2 .22 is just a tad too finicky.
    I did break 1 second for a 3 shot FTS from the pocket at 3 yards into an IPSC target with it. That oughtta reset an OODA loop.
    My LCP2 22 was also until I started cleaning the chamber with a bronze brush wrapped in chore boy chucked in an electric drill. Runs like a sewing machine now with anything high velocity. I give it the drill cleaning every 5-600 rounds and lube it with a few dots of red synthetic grease.

.38 is just a no-go for my arthritic thumb. As is .380 mostly and definitely the pocket 9mms.
    The trigger pull weight is a concern. as is QC. I had a 43c about 5 years ago that had to go back to S&W-twice-before I got a cylinder shot through it. When it finally worked I'd lost interest in it, as I was still a LEO and carrying my service pistol. I'm retired into the "snubby lifestyle" and am all in on pocket carry(again, arthritis in the hip).
    Centerfire systems still has a bunch of old S&W 30 and 31 on their website in generally good condition at mostly reasonable prices. S&B 32 NP 100grn RNFPs are pretty decent in those little guns, and the Buffalo Bore .32 long stuff is no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    Did I miss something? Trying to find either a S&W or Ruger .22lr j frame revolver in stock is pretty much impossible. Found one site that claimed it was in stock until I ordered it… 😑

I’m not typically a wheel gun guy so what’s the deal with these?
    I have both old J .22s and new J .22 (one of 'em.)

The old Js are 63 kit guns. A 4 inch and a 2 inch (and they are worth $$$.. yes ridiculous amounts, especially the 2 inch six shooter!)

Now the new S&W 63 3 inch (which has the hillary hole.)

Name:  kitgun.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  31.7 KB

When I got it it looked so pretty... then I shot it and found the cases stuck in the chambers and took a wood mallet to get them to extract.

Tried many brands of ammo, Remington, Winchester, CCI, Federal... no go.

Sent it back to S&W (they paid shipping both ways.) Works perfect now with Federal hps and pretty good with others.

Now the gun a bit looser (it was zero-zero tight when I got it.) They put in a whole new cylinder that I bet had polished chambers.

But it cost me $650 for that gun!!! Yes I use it now (was at range yesterday with Sig P365, HK USP Compact 40, S&W 66-1, and the S&W 63.)

That little kit gun is a decent hiking gun when you don't want a real gun with you...

And I now have found a 4 inch 34 nickle kit gun... $800!!! Dunno if I'm going to get that one!

Yes they are hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by JJN View Post
    They seem to make some of the lower demanded guns in runs, rather than all the time. They'll be everywhere and then nowhere. I work at an LGS and it stinks for people because some of the low-demand guns are high-dollar, so by the time they have saved up the scratch for a some really cool gun, they all dry up.
    Motorcycles are the same way. The first time I decided I wanted to buy a brand-new motorcycle I marched into the store, proudly announced my intension, and was told that they were all gone for that year (they did manage to dig one up for me).

Right now I also wonder if the process of transitioning most production to Tennessee and keeping the revolver manufacturing in Massachusetts might be a factor.

I have a 60 (no dash, was Dad's), a 638, a 637 and a 360PD and do want a 317, I even already bought the grips for it, so it will be twiner with the 637 and 360.

User Tag List