Thread: The EDC Flashlight for Situational Awareness and Self Protection

The EDC Flashlight for Situational Awareness and Self Protection

My most recent post on the use of EDC flashlights can be found here.

Thanks for looking and as always, your comments are welcome!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

That was insightful! You obviously into this a bit. How and who can best mod a light to current “standards” or maximal output / capability. Say my old sure fire executive, but would like to upgrade it as I like the physical package itself though the performance is lacking by recent innovation?

Just out of curiosity do you know the optimum frequency of strobe to induce the “Bucha” effect or flicker vertigo. Most of these studies are not available for public consumption?

Thanks, look forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    That was insightful! You obviously into this a bit. How and who can best mod a light to current “standards” or maximal output / capability. Say my old sure fire executive, but would like to upgrade it as I like the physical package itself though the performance is lacking by recent innovation?
    Updating old Surefire bodies with new heads and tailcaps is a thing!

Reach out to me via PM and I'd be happy to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    out of curiosity do you know the optimum frequency of strobe to induce the “Bucha” effect or flicker vertigo. Most of these studies are not available for public consumption?
    The benefit of using strobe is not universally accepted. Studies on its use have mostly centered on LEO use for apprehending suspects, where if deployed correctly is beneficial. Here is an article worth reading - https://www.policemag.com/340344/how...ing-flashlight

From the article;

"When deployed without the benefits of an accompanying constant light (cover officer), a strobe light may make the user experience an inability to see or recognize subtle/deliberate slow movements made by the suspect."

In a one-on-one self defense situation for a civilian, without the benefit of a second constant-on light illuminating the threat, strobe is going to make the threat's movement more difficult to detect and track. For this reason, I remain convinced that it's not an ideal option for civilians defending themselves.

Thanks for posting, I look forward to discussing your Surefire update project!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Excellent information!

Which single cr 123 light head do you recommend for EDC? The E1HT is more of a long distance spotter.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Which single cr 123 light head do you recommend for EDC? The E1HT is more of a long distance spotter.
    For use with a single CR123 battery, the Malkoff Bodyguard v.1 is a great choice. It produces about 400 lumens on a CR123 and 700 lumens on a 16340 Li-ion cell. The BG heads have a useful beam pattern that is broad and even with a wide, medium-candela center hot spot.

The 3-mode triple-LED head used on the E1 18350 Inspector model can also be used with a single CR123 battery. A single mode 800 lumen version of that head is also available, both have flood beams with no discernible center hot spot (low candela).

I am currently waiting on the delivery of a head from Lumens Factory that is rated at 650 lumens on either a single CR123 or a Li-ion cell. It's a reflector design that provides a mix of flood and spot using a Nichia 319A neutral (4k) 80 CRI emitter. If it meets my expectations, I'll be offering a new 18350 model using that head. It will also be available to upgrade older E-series Surefire lights.

I'll post info on that option as soon as I have a chance to evaluate it.

User Tag List