Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zero shift with an Aimpoint magnifier

Zero shift with an Aimpoint magnifier

This week I was out refining a zero on an AR. It has Aimpoint Comp M5. I also mounted Aimpoint 3x-c magnifier behind it. With the dot only, I was getting hits on steel at 100 yards. With a magnifier, the dot shifted about half an IPSC width to the right and I was missing the steel.
    How common are magnifier zero shifts? I tried adjusting the windage screw on the magnifier but didn't feel like continuing and removed it.

Is this a common occurrence? Should the rifle be zeroed with a magnifier in place instead?

Site Supporter
    I don’t own a magnifier, but I do know there is nuance that doesn’t seem readily apparent to zeroing with magnifiers.

I’ll leave this link and leave it at I know there are folks that zero with magnifier specifically and then whatever it is without is what it is and now I see even with different brand magnifiers those are able to be zero’d. I don’t own a magnifier, but what you’re experiencing is not unheard of and folks work around it with various methods depending on the gear, etc. in question.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/red...sage-dynamics/

I was shocked to find out it was a thing being parallax free and all but it is a thing indeed.
    God Bless,

Brandon

All magnifiers have shift. It has to do with the lens surfaces not all lining up perpendicular.
    Pressburg went into detail about this in the past on one of the P&S pocasts. IIRC eotechs have it less since the glass on the holo is flat.

Common practice is to zero at distance with the magnifier accept shift at close range.

I just zeroed with an Eotech EXPS and Eo magnifier, and didn't notice a shift although I was looking for one. Wasn't at the level of science, just done groups with and without, so I will check again.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    So I have a decent amount of experience with the Aimpoint Micro H-2 and 3X-C combo with both optics in LaRue mounts. Once you adjust the coaxiality of the optic and magnifier I've found no issues with the BZO shifting either with or without the magnifier in place. BTW, it's a Texas deer killing machine!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I’ve been using a Aimpoint 3x behind micros for nearly a decade at work and never had any issues with zero shift. Adjust the magnifier as per directions and you should be good. I’ve made shots out to 600 with a proper hold over and not had any windage issues (other than actual wind).

Are you using compatible mounts? it REALLY helps of the optic and the magnifier shre the same centerline. It sometimes takes some going back and forth in dialing out the parallax. I zero with the magnifier, then confirm POI without. I'm alos using the Eotech EXPS magnifier behind EXPS and T2

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I was shocked to find out it was a thing being parallax free and all but it is a thing indeed.
    What is it that you think is parallax free?

Member of the General Population

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    What is it that you think is parallax free?

Aimpoint red dot sights are operationally parallax-free, which means the visible dot remains parallel to the bore of your weapon no matter what angle your eye is in relation to the sight. Therefore, the user never has to worry about centering the dot inside the sight. If you have a proper zero, when the dot is on the target, so are you.
    https://aimpoint.us/about-aimpoint/

Aimpoint and other red dots. I extrapolated from advertisements and phrases used that adding a magnifier even if off center poorly aligned would still be on accuracy wise.

That’s the jist of what I and others were expecting given what we experience with the native dot. Given your background I’m not going to go into further explanation because it’s probably not necessary. But does this make sense?

It just seems counter intuitive to me and this isn’t a deficiency in Aimpoint (I love their dots and just bought a P2) or any other vendor it’s just the nature of magnifying a red dot. It’s just interesting that you can have your dot or head anywhere looking through the optic and it’s on, but throw a 3x on there and it’s off.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Aimpoint sights are not parallax free.
    Member of the General Population

User Tag List