Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The "Violin Reload"

Site Supporter
    If you’re on this forum and serious about shotguns you should be able to reload weak hand or strong hand, shouldered, unshouldered, prone, one handed etc. etc. Figure out how to shove shells in the gun as many ways as possible and then do like Bruce Lee said and flow like water.

That’s probably not be the best approach for teaching someone who is going to keep the shotgun in the closet and only practice once or twice a year. But it’s how I enjoying practicing with all of my long guns.

Yes I like the violin load, but it’s not the only way I load a shotgun. For example when bird hunting I keep the muzzle up and mag port to the left and load weak handed because low ready/violin may not be a safe direction with dogs running around.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Yes I like the violin load, but it’s not the only way I load a shotgun. For example when bird hunting I keep the muzzle up and mag port to the left and load weak handed because low ready/violin may not be a safe direction with dogs running around.
    Context is King.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Box fed for the win (my hunting gun is my uncle's old Mossberg 185 bolt action 20-gauge).

So, I'm one of the three or four guys who taught, and demo'd violin loading during the ThunderStick Summit.

As a technique, it is quite useful. However, it would not be the only teaching method I would rely on.

I've never heard it called the "Violin" before, but I prefer this technique. I find I'm less likely to bobble a reload using my strong hand. Agree with comments about port loading. Good to have options.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

TOOL meet TOOLBOX

Nobody at Thunderstick said it was the only way, it was merely presented a way.

Site Supporter
    Body position and one's cover could determine whether or not shooter removes gun from shoulder. Not running the gun dry is another consideration about feeding the weapon.

At what point does the barrel become too hot to utilize the violin reload?

Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    At what point does the barrel become too hot to utilize the violin reload?
    Never?

Your hand is on the forend.

Edit: I hadn't watched Chris's poor technique there and didn't catch his support hand was rolling over onto the barrel.

No no children, that's not how we do this - watch Lena Miculek started at around the 3:00 mark here. And pay careful attention to what she says about the support hand:

Last edited by RevolverRob; 10-16-2022 at 10:45 PM.

Interesting support hand grip...

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 5.09.19 AM.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  9.1 KB
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

User Tag List