Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which handgun did you put your first red-dot on?

Which handgun did you put your first red-dot on?

OK, I resisted for a good while but I think it’s time I give a handgun red-dot a try. I have a Glock 19 that’s my primary CCW and a Glock 21 that’s my “alternate” that I only carry if there would be an issue that would cause my G19 to be unavailable. I’m willing to put in the practice needed to give the red-dot a realistic chance of success but I’m reluctant to have the slide of my G19 cut in case it wouldn’t work out. I guess trying the red-dot on my G21 is my most practical option.

Thinking about this got me curious about what others did when they went to a red-dot on their handguns? Jump right into the deep end and install the red dot on primary CCW? Tried it first on an alternate handgun? Bought a new handgun to try it? Maybe I should give a thought to a new handgun but if I do that and it works then I have to still outfit my primary and alternate CCW Glocks.

I’d just get an aftermarket slide for the g19 that is already cut for a red dot of your choice.
    If it’s older than gen 5 I’d buy a brownells slide cut for RMR footprint, then buy a holosun 407c.

I got a Gen 3 G34 milled for an RMR in 2013. I didn't change my carry G19 to an optic until 2015-ish.

If you're concerned about the ability to revert to a non-optic slide, consider getting an aftermarket slide that's already milled. An optic-cut Gen 3 G19 slide will be relatively easy to sell if you end up not liking the optic.

I would also say, get an aftermarket slide, mount an optic, and train with that one, till you're metrics line up and you're confident and capable with it to start carrying it.

Many great slide options out there for the G19. Brownells is the best bang for the buck, but a complete Dagger slide from PSA is the cheapest way to get there, and they're GTG.

6 inch GP100 Ruger , 1989

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    6 inch GP100 Ruger , 1989
    My first was throwing an Aimpoint "clone" from PA on a MKIII, mostly to answer my curiosity about how the heck this whole RDS on a pistol works

My second was a 6 inch GP100, circa 2020

RDS is much better than optical pistol scope for hunting purposes at the ranges I hunt with a pistol.

I bought my first handgun in 2016… Glock 26.

Bought a G34 MOS and put an RMR on it shortly afterwards.

I went 'plug & play' via a G5 G19 MOS and Holosun SCS.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I never gave a thought to getting just a slide. Thanks for the tip!

I’m willing to put in the time to get up to speed with the dot but it’s not a small investment. Don’t want to box myself into a corner if for some reason it doesn’t work for me.

My long guns all have optics, with the exception of my first carry-handle AR, and I’m hoping the optic on the handgun is a similar improvement as it has been on the long guns. Really excited to give this a try.

Site Supporter
    I did the aftermarket slide on a G19 for my first dot pistol as well.

User Tag List