Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Weapon Light Manipulation

I'm going to assume I don't always have both hands handy. Posts 3 and 4 are where I stand and that was before I was Bill Blowers influenced, he just reaffirmed it.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Not to speak for him, but when I do it this way, the light gets activated once the muzzle is oriented generally at the target, not the instant the gun clears the holster, specifically to avoid illuminating myself. This assumes I've already identified a threat; obviously not a sound practice to draw directly onto an unknown.
    Thanks for explaining it better than I did. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
    I found what seems to work good for me, and I realize that everyone is different and this is probably only good for me personally, is on the draw to sweep up with my index finger to activate a Surefire X300. Not a fan of an additional task for my trigger finger but this really seems to allow me to get the best grip that I am comfortable with. I’ve also quit attempting to use the momentary-on feature of the light; that was confusing me to no end trying to manipulate the light and maintain target awareness and good fundamentals while shooting. Maybe someday I can revisit that but for now it was just way too much for me. Drawing and sweeping up on the switch to activate the light really has been more comfortable for me than anything else I have tried so far.

I continue to reread this thread and will reevaluate from time to time. Just wanted to thank everyone who was so kind to take their time to offer advice and suggestions; this has really been a big help for me. Thank you!
    I carry my EDC with a Surefire X300 and the DG switch. To explain my reasoning I will use an analogy illustrated with our transition to the 1911.

Many folks advocate disengaging the safety as you draw your weapon from the holster. And this technique works fine on the square range because you are drawing your weapon with the specific purpose of shooting your target. Through many repetitions you train yourself into a sequence of:

1. Draw
    2. Disengage safety
    3. Fire

When my agency transitioned over to the 1911 I originally did this same sequence.

However I quickly realized that outside of the square range I more frequently drew my weapon in anticipation of encountering a threat rather than immediately engaging a threat. This would be in the real world and in scenario/force on force training.

In a situation like this where I was moving, searching, and evaluating I wanted my safety engaged.

My sequence then became

1. Draw
    2. Evaluate or search
    3. Present toward target/disengage safety simultaneously
    3. Fire

A frame mounted safety like the 1911 has the ergonomics allow my to present and disengage the safety with no noticeable time delay.

If you are using the original sequence

1. Draw
    2. Disengage safety

but now do not have an immediate target you have two options

A) Continue to evaluate or search with the safety disengaged
    B) Engage the safety until you need it and then hope that you remember to disengage it as you present, because you have not training it to the level of automaticity as you don't practice that sequence on range days.

Both of those options I found to be sub optimal.

Back to discussing lights and switches:

Turning on your light as you draw your weapon is similar to disengaging your safety as you draw. It works great on the range when you intend to shoot immediately. But if you need to search/evaluate you should be using a handheld light (currently use a Surefire Fury Intellibeam or a Surefire Stilleto Pro). When I encounter a threat I have three options

1. Drop my light which is attached to my gear with a retractable lanyard
    2. Neck index and WML
    3. Stow handheld and fire with WML

Quote Originally Posted by dldarrow View Post
    ... However I quickly realized that outside of the square range I more frequently drew my weapon in anticipation of encountering a threat rather than immediately engaging a threat. This would be in the real world and in scenario/force on force training.

In a situation like this where I was moving, searching, and evaluating I wanted my safety engaged.

My sequence then became

1. Draw
    2. Evaluate or search
    3. Present toward target/disengage safety simultaneously
    3. Fire

A frame mounted safety like the 1911 has the ergonomics allow my to present and disengage the safety with no noticeable time delay.

If you are using the original sequence

1. Draw
    2. Disengage safety

but now do not have an immediate target you have two options

A) Continue to evaluate or search with the safety disengaged
    B) Engage the safety until you need it and then hope that you remember to disengage it as you present, because you have not training it to the level of automaticity as you don't practice that sequence on range days.

Both of those options I found to be sub optimal.

Back to discussing lights and switches:

Turning on your light as you draw your weapon is similar to disengaging your safety as you draw. It works great on the range when you intend to shoot immediately. But if you need to search/evaluate you should be using a handheld light (currently use a Surefire Fury Intellibeam or a Surefire Stilleto Pro). When I encounter a threat I have three options

1. Drop my light which is attached to my gear with a retractable lanyard
    2. Neck index and WML
    3. Stow handheld and fire with WML
    It is fascinating to watch how the manipulations are playing out with the current influx of 2011 shooters, a majority of whom did not grow up as 1911 users.

Carrying the 1911, going through classes with it at 1911-centric places really refined two presentations - one to a ready position with the safety staying On and the other to a shot with the safety coming Off as the muzzle rotates onto the target, threat.

Wednesday & Thursday nights I was teaching a low light instructor class and a few students had Staccato pistols. Those with 2011s had varying levels of long-term familiarity with the thumb safety.

Adding in the handheld and weapon-mounted light did highlight that.

We are more likely to have the light out and in play before deciding to draw than we are to suddenly arrive at a point where we want, need both the gun and the light in hand & on target at the same time.

The range work involved both SHO shooting with the handheld in various techniques and transitioning to both hands on the pistol using the WML.

User Tag List