Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weapon Light Manipulation

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    From memory, wasn't that the problem with the DG switch? Clenching the middle finger to activate the light causing a sympathetic clench of the trigger finger that maybe shouldn't have even been on the trigger?
    There are examples of it happening with pressure switches and using the trigger finger. Links in this article:

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...mounted-lights

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    If you don't train pistol WML manipulations to a subconscious level while under pressure stick with a handheld light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    There are quite a few documented cases of LE having accidental discharges with WML because they didn't ingrain which finger does what.

For home defense, awakening to a noise, still half asleep, and using a WML to search is already a no no but especially without pressure testing your skills at manipulating your light and trigger can lead to bad outcomes.
    I don't really have a clear idea of what you're advocating for, though I appreciate that you're advocating for it strongly. What methodology do you believe to be most suitable?
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    I don't really have a clear idea of what you're advocating for, though I appreciate that you're advocating for it strongly. What methodology do you believe to be most suitable?
    I merely stated an opinion. Then you ask for clarification.

The are various methods that are more suitable for home/self defense with a hand held light. YMMV
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Site Supporter
    Streamlight weapon lights provide 300, 500, or 1000 lumens. Inside a house can the light be too bright as in interfering with shooter vision? Identifying the target is one reason to use a weapon light. What about ability to blind the bad guy with a bright light? Is that another reason to use these lights? I ask because I have had zero training with weapon lights.

Site Supporter
    While I've found bright lights problematic in administrative tasks (e.g.: writing citations, locking doors, and so forth), I've never found them to be an issue when searching or controlling suspects. This is from the guy who searched a dance studio with mirrored walls with a Surefire Lawman (750 lumen if I recall). That said, your milage and eyesight may vary. If your sole use of a weapon-mounted or handheld light is home defense or even self-defense, you may not have a need for as many lumens or as much candela A police officer who may engage a suspect at much greater distances.

Light can blind or distract a bad guy which is one reason to use weapon-mounted or handheld lights. That said, I believe some over-estimate the effects of their lights. A bad guy may fire indiscriminately or, especially with lower lumen lights, target the light source. Of course, Tasers, OC, and police dogs don't work absolutely either.

I will echo the advice to search with a handheld rather than a weapon-mounted light.

Site Supporter
    The X300's are great duty/bedside gun lights, but too big for a daily carry for me. I've become a huge fan of the TLR-7A. Doesn't add much bulk and no length to a G19. I'm right handed and operate the high switch with my left thumb. The only time I would ever use my trigger finger is if my left hand was injured. I'm a firm believer the index finger shouldn't be used for anything other than pulling the trigger.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to offer advice and suggestions. This has really been a big help to me in looking at all of this a little bit differently.

The problem that I have been having is that when I use my index finger or thumb of my support hand it interferes with my trigger manipulation and really messes up my weak-hand grip of the handgun. To be honest, it has made my shooting fundamentals very poor and I was about ready to give up the weapon light completely.

I found what seems to work good for me, and I realize that everyone is different and this is probably only good for me personally, is on the draw to sweep up with my index finger to activate a Surefire X300. Not a fan of an additional task for my trigger finger but this really seems to allow me to get the best grip that I am comfortable with. I’ve also quit attempting to use the momentary-on feature of the light; that was confusing me to no end trying to manipulate the light and maintain target awareness and good fundamentals while shooting. Maybe someday I can revisit that but for now it was just way too much for me. Drawing and sweeping up on the switch to activate the light really has been more comfortable for me than anything else I have tried so far.

I continue to reread this thread and will reevaluate from time to time. Just wanted to thank everyone who was so kind to take their time to offer advice and suggestions; this has really been a big help for me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to offer advice and suggestions. This has really been a big help to me in looking at all of this a little bit differently.

The problem that I have been having is that when I use my index finger or thumb of my support hand it interferes with my trigger manipulation and really messes up my weak-hand grip of the handgun. To be honest, it has made my shooting fundamentals very poor and I was about ready to give up the weapon light completely.

I found what seems to work good for me, and I realize that everyone is different and this is probably only good for me personally, is on the draw to sweep up with my index finger to activate a Surefire X300. Not a fan of an additional task for my trigger finger but this really seems to allow me to get the best grip that I am comfortable with. I’ve also quit attempting to use the momentary-on feature of the light; that was confusing me to no end trying to manipulate the light and maintain target awareness and good fundamentals while shooting. Maybe someday I can revisit that but for now it was just way too much for me. Drawing and sweeping up on the switch to activate the light really has been more comfortable for me than anything else I have tried so far.

I continue to reread this thread and will reevaluate from time to time. Just wanted to thank everyone who was so kind to take their time to offer advice and suggestions; this has really been a big help for me. Thank you!
    So your plan is to illuminate yourself before your gun is presented?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    So your plan is to illuminate yourself before your gun is presented?
    Not to speak for him, but when I do it this way, the light gets activated once the muzzle is oriented generally at the target, not the instant the gun clears the holster, specifically to avoid illuminating myself. This assumes I've already identified a threat; obviously not a sound practice to draw directly onto an unknown.

On the topic of searching with a handheld and shooting with a WML, how are you guys handling that transition if you do identify a threat with the handheld? Stow the handheld, drop it, ignore the WML and use a handheld technique? Reviewing my AARs from previous low light training (admittedly, it's been a couple years), I had noted the utility of the Thyrm or some other attached ring or lanyard for letting the handheld dangle while getting both hands on the gun, though I dislike the Thrym for EDC use due to bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Not to speak for him, but when I do it this way, the light gets activated once the muzzle is oriented generally at the target, not the instant the gun clears the holster, specifically to avoid illuminating myself. This assumes I've already identified a threat; obviously not a sound practice to draw directly onto an unknown.

On the topic of searching with a handheld and shooting with a WML, how are you guys handling that transition if you do identify a threat with the handheld? Stow the handheld, drop it, ignore the WML and use a handheld technique? Reviewing my AARs from previous low light training (admittedly, it's been a couple years), I had noted the utility of the Thyrm or some other attached ring or lanyard for letting the handheld dangle while getting both hands on the gun, though I dislike the Thrym for EDC use due to bulk.
    Personally I think if you have time to challenge the threat and give commands you stowe the light in a pocket after activating the wml. If you pid and it's an immediate shoot, I prefer a neck index with the handheld and worry about the wml post engagement

User Tag List