Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Smith 3rd gen resurrection rumors

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Well, I'm in a ban state and my magazines are all 10-round ones, anyway. So, if I ever find a compact Daewoo/Lionheart....
    Gotcha.

There are quite a few full-size DP51s for sale on GB at the moment: https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-...13&PageSize=24

No compacts, though. But I'm 99% the full-size guns would accept neutered 5906 10-rounders.

Or you can spring for a brand new Regulus Compact:

https://www.lionheartindustries.com/...blackout-beta/

Also, I got an email from Lionheart which says they're introducing a new pistol at Shot Show called the "Vulcan 9." Kinda curious to see what that is. I get the sense it's probably just a spiffed up (or down?) version of what they're already making, with the Regulus.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Are the compacts compatible with S&W 6900-series magazines?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Gotcha.

There are quite a few full-size DP51s for sale on GB at the moment: https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-...13&PageSize=24

No compacts, though. But I'm 99% the full-size guns would accept neutered 5906 10-rounders.

Or you can spring for a brand new Regulus Compact:

https://www.lionheartindustries.com/...blackout-beta/

Also, I got an email from Lionheart which says they're introducing a new pistol at Shot Show called the "Vulcan 9." Kinda curious to see what that is. I get the sense it's probably just a spiffed up (or down?) version of what they're already making, with the Regulus.
    Thanks to @FrankB, I've blown my "over three figures" gun budget for awhile. And I'm guessing that, since the Regulus Compact has an 18-round magazine, it'd maybe take 5900-series magazines.

So, no. I'm philosophically opposed to having a large-capacity gun where I have to start out 40% or better empty because of these moronic magazine limits.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I was originally going to pass, but I've never had a 3rd generation S&W auto and wanted to have one just because. I've got parts to rebuild the magazine and a recoil spring in a wish list on Midway's site, I'll order them when the gun gets here. Mec-Gar magazines are widely available so I might get a few of them. I might get a holster, I'm not sure I'll ever carry it.
    Nice. The 5906 is a nice solid gun and a nice shooter. Both my 5906 and my 6904 have been 100% reliable. As have my 4506-1 and my 645.

As long as you don't break an extractor (which isn't just a drop-in part, from what I've read), I feel like the 3rd gens still hold up as practical guns. In single action, I guess I shoot a Beretta 92 a bit more accurately than a 5906? That said, I prefer the DA trigger on 3rd gens to what I find in Berettas and Sigs. The stroke seems more even and smooth, with less of a "jolt" when the hammer falls. I tend to think there's less over travel. I also wonder if the old-school, dual-sided trigger/hammer linkage contributes to the smooth, even feel of the DA in 3rd gens.

Also... the 3rd gens have thinner slides than Berettas and Sigs. Which seems trivial, but is actually kinda nice. Despite the weight, I find the 5906 to be pretty comfortable in the pants at around 12:30.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

I tried hard to like a 5906 for IDPA SSP but while it was reliable and accurate in slow fire, I could not work up any speed with it.
    I went to a P226 which I did better with and preferred except for the miniature slide stop.
    If somebody wanted to sponsor Team Mediocre to shoot a DA/SA now it would be a LTT Beretta.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I was a SW fanboy from mid 90s to 2008.

I started out with a 4506-1 that I sent to the PC and they gave it a slick duty action.

At the original AstroHall Houston Gun show, my dad and I ran into a 4566 CQB and if I recall it was around 800-900 used. I did not have the money and my dad was going to buy it but I told him no.

I later found a 4563 CQB (SW CQB 45) and I sold my 4506-1 to pay for it.

When I got moved to Narcs in 98, I found a brand new heavily covered in dust 4516-2 for dirt cheap at another Houston Gun Show (my dad and I would go every year). My first depression of the mag release was a fail as the mag release spring rusted out over the years of just sitting in a gun display case and or humid environment. I also sent it to the PC for a duty action job. SW back then would prioritize LE guns and I would get them back in a few weeks.

My dad would find a Shorty45 at the Houston Gun Show and bought it.

Then one day, I am trolling through the local gun shops and low and behold to my amazement, in the glass cabinet was a DPA5906. I think I put it on layaway and worked off duty gigs to pay for it. The action on it was butter and it was a shooter. If there was any PC I should have kept, it was this one. you just dont see them anymore.

Here is the DPA5906 and I put Hogues on everything back then.

I ended up with a 945 (accurate beast), 845 (Smooth and accurate), 4566CQB, 4013TSW, 3953TSW, CS9DAO, 6906 I might be missing a couple.

I eventually sold them all when SW stop making parts, plus in 2008 we were finally allowed to carry 1911 style Single Action on duty.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

I don’t know if it was this thread where we talked about the limited number of NYPD 3983s, but here are serials NYPD001, NYPD002 and NYPD003…

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/964148256
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I don’t know if it was this thread where we talked about the limited number of NYPD 3983s, but here are serials NYPD001, NYPD002 and NYPD003…

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/964148256
    Well, it is just as well that I do not have $5K+. Those sure do look nice.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    You can resurrect t them yourself with these:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/959543462

Name:  AAA8F91B-482F-43A9-A58F-82CFE97971C7.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  43.6 KB

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Ghost gun!
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I was a SW fanboy from mid 90s to 2008.

I started out with a 4506-1 that I sent to the PC and they gave it a slick duty action.

At the original AstroHall Houston Gun show, my dad and I ran into a 4566 CQB and if I recall it was around 800-900 used. I did not have the money and my dad was going to buy it but I told him no.

I later found a 4563 CQB (SW CQB 45) and I sold my 4506-1 to pay for it.

When I got moved to Narcs in 98, I found a brand new heavily covered in dust 4516-2 for dirt cheap at another Houston Gun Show (my dad and I would go every year). My first depression of the mag release was a fail as the mag release spring rusted out over the years of just sitting in a gun display case and or humid environment. I also sent it to the PC for a duty action job. SW back then would prioritize LE guns and I would get them back in a few weeks.

My dad would find a Shorty45 at the Houston Gun Show and bought it.

Then one day, I am trolling through the local gun shops and low and behold to my amazement, in the glass cabinet was a DPA5906. I think I put it on layaway and worked off duty gigs to pay for it. The action on it was butter and it was a shooter. If there was any PC I should have kept, it was this one. you just dont see them anymore.

Here is the DPA5906 and I put Hogues on everything back then.

I ended up with a 945 (accurate beast), 845 (Smooth and accurate), 4566CQB, 4013TSW, 3953TSW, CS9DAO, 6906 I might be missing a couple.

I eventually sold them all when SW stop making parts, plus in 2008 we were finally allowed to carry 1911 style Single Action on duty.
    The PC 3rd gen action tune was an astonishing bargain. I sent at least two guns in for it, and the stock 5906 came back better than the Sig 226 I sent back for the short reset trigger package (although that is also a great pistol.) I’m sorry I stopped posting on S&W forum before I had the opportunity to buy that DPA, although that’s precisely why I stopped trolling that forum.

User Tag List