Thread: Smith 3rd gen resurrection rumors

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Fantasy wish list if they do any kind of resurrection
    Fantasy wish list you say?

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Fantasy wish list if they do any kind of resurrection

CS9 in DAO

1086 to satisfy my inner gun nerd

All three would have me jumping for joy, but I’d gladly take any one of them.

They could easily do what Colt did with the new Cobra family guns and update the internals a bit to meet current manufacturing needs and still retain the essence of the third gen guns. The only thing that would truly kill it would be NOT making the magazines the same.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    The only thing that would truly kill it would be NOT making the magazines the same.
    Yup. Exhibit 1 being the recent FN High Power reboot that doesn’t take HP mags. Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Oh, my.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/952698629

Do not need, do not need…
    Those Decockers are one of the true abominations in the 3rd Gen series. Leave it to the FBI......
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Oh, my.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/952698629

Do not need, do not need…
    If you want a P220 buy a P220. If you want a 4566, buy a 4566.

The S&W frame decocker guns were poorly conceived and executed.

FaceTime uncommon guns are uncommon for a reason. That reason they are s**t.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you want a P220 buy a P220. If you want a 4566, buy a 4566.

FaceTime uncommon guns are uncommon for a reason. That reason they are s**t.
    Absolutely true. Sometimes.

The Smith Shorty .45 was very uncommon, but the last thing they were was shit. They were a totally awesome pistol, with everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. Dead reliable, would feed empties (or anything else) from anywhere in the mag. Most accurate pistol I ever fired, shot the smallest group ever for me. The entire group would completely hide behind a US quarter.

Pissed me something fierce when Smith stopped supporting them.

I love the 4506.

Especially the decocker version that I have. It is a stellar, shooting machine.

That said, there is one 3rd Gen that truly rules them all.

The Performance Center 4563 CQB.

A great DA trigger, and a single action trigger that is pretty dang close to a 1911.

This is one truly amazing gun.

If I could keep only two .45s, I would keep my Les Baer 1911, and the 4563.

This really is the gun they need to re-introduce if they could build it to the same standards that this one is built to. It is a hand built tack driving freaking gem. From what I understand though, these are extremely uncommon.

Site Supporter
    I agree. Cool-factor and nostalgia aside… the 4506-1 is one hell of a nice-shooting gun.

Name:  BB84FD13-9611-4AD3-BCF4-7C6EEC02B0CA.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  30.7 KB

I’ve found I prefer it to a P220. I’ve also found it really does feed empty cases.

My 5906 and 6904 are no slouches either.

As for my personal “3rd gen fantasy”…

69XX with G10 grips, melonite finish, Ameriglo orange front dot w/ tritium insert. Also give it a match-grade barrel and ultra low-profile levers.

Would go for a 59XX with that same setup, too.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 10-15-2022 at 10:59 PM.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I agree. Cool-factor and nostalgia aside… the 4506-1 is one hell of a nice-shooting gun.

Name:  BB84FD13-9611-4AD3-BCF4-7C6EEC02B0CA.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  30.7 KB

I’ve found I prefer it to a P220. I’ve also found it really does feed empty cases.

My 5906 and 6904 are no slouches either.

As for my personal “3rd gen fantasy”…

69XX with G10 grips, melonite finish, Ameriglo orange front dot w/ tritium insert. Also give it a match-grade barrel and ultra low-profile levers.

Would go for a 59XX with that same setup, too.
    I can understand preference for shooting a 4506 vs a P220 but which would you prefer to carry 12 or 16 hours a day ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I can understand preference for shooting a 4506 vs a P220 but which would you prefer to carry 12 or 16 hours a day ?

I happen to have done both. A P220 was my first duty weapon when I went to work for the state, and I've carried a 4506/4566 type weapon extensively as a personal choice. I'd choose the S&W choice six days a week and twice on Sunday. I've carried that P220 for two days straight on a rural manhunt, and I've carried the 4566 for two weeks straight in the summer, in Florida and the 4506 on a daily basis. I choose the 4500 series pistol.

I apologize for any grammatical errors. I'm having guy time with my sons and I'm quite in my cups as I type this. Still, I find the 4500 series pistols to be rock solid choices that I continue to bet my life on. If ones balls aren't big enough.......... I jest, I jest. That's the two bottles of Gold Schlager talking. Oh, fuck it. You're a pussy if you don't acknowledge the greatness of the 4500 series and I can't help you. I jest, but do I.......
    Last edited by Trooper224; 10-16-2022 at 01:06 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List