Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you look for in training?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    [B]

3.) What constitutes a good class for you?
    An instructor with earned ego, professional accomplishments, and results. I expect them to be at least a USPSA M, GM, or IDPA M / DM class. I want someone focused on maximizing efficiency and performance with component skills. They should be holding us to objective metrics and standards. I expect the class to show me how to change my perspective and what I need to practice outside of class to make the difference. I want to come away from class with a list of 3-5 things worth going down a rabbit hole on in my own training.

Also, don't waste my time with war stories, excessive dialogue, and lack of attention. I'd pay double to cut class size by half. I'd prefer 10 students or less and a 5:1 ratio. More than that and I feel the lack of attention isn't worth it.
    I’m 100% onboard with @Sig_Fiend

I’m an IDPA MA (but certainly don’t feel like it when shooting major matches).

Taken several worthwhile classes from Langdon, Gabe White, and HiTS.

I’m operating at a fairly high technical level, and looking for good instruction on “employment” (fighter pilot term - applying technical skills to obtain the desired outcome). Not really “stage planning”, but the elements that go into shooting a stage at the higher levels. Vision, flow, transitions, time allocation. Things like that.

That said, I’m always interested in someone’s take on the fundamentals. There’s often a nugget to be gleaned from a new description of the basics.

When I spent time and money on training, I’m looking for:
    1. Immediate spot corrections on how to get better / fix a problem I may or may not know I had.
    2. Several things to focus on / drill to improve on my own time in the next 6-12 months of practice/ training.
    3. Small classes are good. One-on-one time with the instructor is extremely valuable (assuming the instructor knows his role).

Les - if you’re considering doing some classes, these are the essential elements (from my perspective).

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    looking for good instruction on “employment” (fighter pilot term - applying technical skills to obtain the desired outcome).
    I like this term - I used "application", but I this term seems to fit better...

User Tag List