Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you look for in training?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Can you give an example of a class that is geared toward 1 unique application?
    It might be a highly specific application like vehicle shooting tactics, or it might be a highly specific skill like prone pistol techniques.

I'm the dude that keeps shooting during lunch... (That's Mike Pannone's hands on the CZ behind me.)

http://instagram.com/p/BRzRhAJg-li/
    Haha. Just be cognizant of your blood lead levels - mine started to elevate when I did a lot of indoor shooting without being super vigilant about washing my hands/face before eating.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 10-12-2022 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Just be cognizant of your blood lead levels - mine started to elevate when I did a lot of indoor shooting without being super vigilant about washing my hands/face before eating.
    I've had the stoopids before due to elevated BLL's ... Donating blood (hope the recipient isn't a reloader...), wearing nitrile gloves while cleaning guns/processing brass/reloading, avoiding the target impact areas, changing shirt before the post-match burger, and washing hands/beard do wonders to keep those BLL way down where they belong...

I looked on the forum, and, of course, there are a myriad of AAR's/Annoucements, but this is more "meta-topical".
    I'm curious what people are looking for when evaluating instructors & classes.
    Wondering if anyone is willing to share?

I sorta came up with the following questions, which are meant to be a bit open ended/reflective:

1.) What would you say your skill level is?

2.) Are you seeking instruction that is meant to be technically focused or application focused?

3.) What constitutes a good class for you?
    Interesting thought.

1) My skill level is 'Accomplished' with all platforms. I suspect we sell ourselves short here, but any person that can take any commonly available firearm and load it, unload it, safe it, unsafe it, aim it, fire it, place fire with some degree of precision, and diagnose a failure, without an issue or without needing to consult someone else is an advanced shooter.

The difference between advanced and accomplished/expert/master merely comes down to being able to apply those fundamental skills quickly with higher amounts of precision. I am neither particularly fast or precise as a shooter overall, so I consider myself 'Accomplished'.

2) Application Focused. - I can conduct all technical skills necessary to run a firearm without needing supervision. I now need training in applying those skills.

3) Honestly - what constitutes a good class for me is I learn at least one thing novel, I learn where my technical skills need to be refined, and I learn good ways to evaluate and build on those skills that I need to refine.

Intermediate. Light Pin holder. IDPA Expert. Rifle skills have waned a little in the last few years but used to be fairly highly skilled there.

2.) Are you seeking instruction that is meant to be technically focused or application focused?

Yes. Recently took a class called Trigger Management from Lee Weems. Wanted to get to a low light class this year because it has been a while, but haven't made it yet. I would put something like that in the both category. I have also done FOF and CQB numerous times. As a matter of fact, it may be backwards but I have done so much application stuff in the past, I mostly look at technical stuff these days.

I met you a number of years ago at a Gabe White class at Alpha Range, that was a good class. Because I have been doing this for so long and have been to so many classes (dozens and dozens if you count Medical, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, FOF, Instructor, Low Light, CQB, Etc..), I have different expectations now than I used to. One thing I look for more now than I used to is an Instructor I like. I have skipped classes recently that I thought I wanted to take but saw the instructor on P&S or wherever and said, this guy is a real asshole. A good class would be one that is not overbooked, doesn't have a bunch of downtime, teaches what was promised, and something I have fun at and get 1 or 2 useful tidbits out of.

I looked on the forum, and, of course, there are a myriad of AAR's/Annoucements, but this is more "meta-topical".
    I'm curious what people are looking for when evaluating instructors & classes.
    Wondering if anyone is willing to share?

I sorta came up with the following questions, which are meant to be a bit open ended/reflective:

John Murphy
    Tom Givens
    Gabe White
    Green Ops
    Justified Defensive Concepts my

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

1) My skill level is 'Accomplished' with all platforms. I suspect we sell ourselves short here, but any person that can take any commonly available firearm and load it, unload it, safe it, unsafe it, aim it, fire it, place fire with some degree of precision, and diagnose a failure, without an issue or without needing to consult someone else is an advanced shooter.

The difference between advanced and accomplished/expert/master merely comes down to being able to apply those fundamental skills quickly with higher amounts of precision. I am neither particularly fast or precise as a shooter overall, so I consider myself 'Accomplished'.
    I like that definition of "advanced".

As I ready these comments I wonder how many types "application" classes there are, specifically related to pistolcraft: CQ-combatives, competition, vehicle "stuff", tactic, group tactics...

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    John Murphy
    Tom Givens
    Gabe White
    Green Ops
    Justified Defensive Concepts my
    That Gabe dude is kinda ok, I guess... So is Floridaman, Tom Givens.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    As a matter of fact, it may be backwards but I have done so much application stuff in the past, I mostly look at technical stuff these days.
    It is always fun to go back to technical details... Especially when we've advanced quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I met you a number of years ago at a Gabe White class at Alpha Range, that was a good class.
    How could I forget? That was a fun class... Donovan, Mickey, Matt Little and a few others... I learned so much there!

http://instagram.com/p/BePSzeJnZQH/

IDPA Expert, which I consider personally embarrassing (for myself). Bless me Pepperoni, for I have sinned. It's been at least 4yrs since my last match and I am not a current member.

I'm subconsciously competent with handguns but, a little less so with long guns. Lost a lot of speed through the pandemic and having to lean heavier on dry fire. Accuracy is still there at ~90% of what it was.

Technically-focused. Mostly interested in higher performance with pistol and rifle. No fantasy gun camp for me. I have a low tolerance for classes that teach lackluster fundamentals, use subjective metrics, sprinkle "mindset" on it, and call it "gunfighting".

An instructor with earned ego, professional accomplishments, and results. I expect them to be at least a USPSA M, GM, or IDPA M / DM class. I want someone focused on maximizing efficiency and performance with component skills. They should be holding us to objective metrics and standards. I expect the class to show me how to change my perspective and what I need to practice outside of class to make the difference. I want to come away from class with a list of 3-5 things worth going down a rabbit hole on in my own training.

Also, don't waste my time with war stories, excessive dialogue, and lack of attention. I'd pay double to cut class size by half. I'd prefer 10 students or less and a 5:1 ratio. More than that and I feel the lack of attention isn't worth it.

I am an average shooter with a pistol and below the average with a rifle. I generally look for technical classes unless there is something very specific in application that I want. These days I want a small class, 6 to 10 people, or semi-private, that is well organized. I prefer instructors who have demonstrated high level of proficiency and especially prefer those who got there through own development and discovery as opposed to institutional upbringing or regurgitation of what others said.
    Last edited by YVK; 10-13-2022 at 10:53 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List