Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pedal Commander discussion

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    It’s only partly pedal position. It’s also throttle response. Let’s say you stop the pedal all the way to the floor in .1 seconds. The computer controls how fast the throttle plate opens. It might decide the throttle will take a .5 seconds to open and not open the throttle enough, slowing acceleration.
    And a pedal commander can't change that. It only changes the signal on pedal position sent to the computer. It does not alter anything in the computer or after the computer.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    And a pedal commander can't change that. It only changes the signal on pedal position sent to the computer. It does not alter anything in the computer or after the computer.
    It changes the information the computer receives so the computer gives you better throttle response. It’s kinda like changing the pointer speed of your computer.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-12-2022 at 12:20 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

It changes the information the computer receives so the computer gives you better throttle response. It’s kinda like changing the pointer speed of your computer.
    It gives you better throttle response by acting like you pushed the pedal faster and/or further. Literally nothing else.

Floored is floored, you can't go over 100%. If course it picks up quicker at 50% throttle when it reports the same as 70% throttle without it.

Find an instrumented test that actually shows a gain, backing up the claim of opening the throttle faster. You won't, because it doesn't. It may improve "feel" and people like it did that, but it's not a performance mod.

It gives you better throttle response by acting like you pushed the pedal faster and/or further. Literally nothing else.
    Correct. It does NOT increase horsepower or torque. But it does improve drivability because the system responds quicker and more precisely to pedal input. The Pedal Commander* reduces the artificial “buffer” built into the system that prevents vehicle stability upsets from sudden throttle changes.

To give you an idea what I mean, I’ll compare low speed crawling in my 91 Cherokee to crawling 2012 Wrangler Rubicon. Both have manual transmissions and a total gear reduction of roughly 80:1. The gas pedal of the Cherokee is directly connected to the throttle by cable.

When crawling in the Cherokee, if I let off the gas or step on it too quickly, the Jeep will lurch. Sometimes this will set off something similar to “pilot induced oscillation” when I over correct.

Driving the Rubicon in the same situation, the computer compensates for the too quick throttle changes by smoothing out the response and there is no lurching. The price I pay for that is a slow throttle response on the street.

Find an instrumented test that actually shows a gain, backing up the claim of opening the throttle faster. You won't, because it doesn't. It may improve "feel" and people like it did that, but it's not a performance mod.
    One guy on YouTube improved his 0-60 time by maybe a tenth (if I recall correctly). I forget what vehicle he tested it on. Not because engine performance was improved, but because the system reaction time to pedal input was improved.

Note that the Pedal Commander can also be tuned for a slower, less aggressive response that’s supposed to give the driver better control in a slow speed situation, such as crawling through a rock garden in 4lo.

The point is this- Some vehicles feel sluggish when accelerating, not because of turbo lag or the engine is under powered. It’s because the throttle response time is nerfed by the computer in the name of safety. In some cases, like with my Wrangler, there’s too much nerfing going on. The Pedal Commander reduces the nerfing.

*Pedal Commander is a model name. I’m using it to describe the device because I can’t remember the generic name, not because I’m recommending the Pedal Commander in particular. There’s another pedal device that costs less and which many users claim is superior to the Pedal Commander. I don’t remember its model name.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

PS- I wish I had the ability to explain things clearly.

I have a Sprint Booster (Pedal Commander) on my 5th gen 4runner. Before installing this, I was ready to sell this truck because of the insane "delayed response" that Toyota evidently programs into their ECUs to "improve" gas mileage. I felt that it was dangerous to pull out of our neighborhood onto a state highway that had posted 55 mph speeds. This is the busiest street in Idaho (Eagle Rd/Highway 55). Our other cars' had normal or quick response so it was no problem. The 4runner nearly got us rear-ended several times where the other cars could just normally join the flow without causing other drivers to alter their speed.

After installing the Sprint Booster, which has 10 levels in 2 different modes (Sport and Race), the throttle response was GREATLY improved. I only have it set on Sport 5, which is pretty low on its capability, but it is like driving a completely different vehicle. I also get 2 mph better gas mileage, which is probably because I don't have to stomp on it anymore. BB, it is not a performance mod. It is a DRIVEABILITY mod, and the character of the vehicle is completely changed.

The Pedal Commander reduces the nerfing.
    No, it doesn't and it literally cannot because it does not change the signal between the ECU and the throttle. Even per the manufacturer's graph the only thing it does is increase the strength of the signal fro the pedal to the ECU. There is no point on the graph that you can't do yourself by simply pressing the pedal more. If you want the granularity of it, no problem, but it literally cannot alter the signal to the throttle that you keep claiming it does.

I think that another way of looking at the pedal commander products is that it gives you a wider range of control.

If, absent the device, I have to press the pedal halfway to get the response I'd like, and with the device I get that response at 1/4 press, I go from having 1/2 travel to 3/4 travel for finer control.

I think that's the "nerfing" concept that mistwolf was trying to convey.

At the end of the day, if someone hasn't driven a vehicle before/after one, and someone else has, we're talking theory vs experience. Which doesn't mean both aren't wrong, or right.

I know that if I had a vehicle that I felt lagged, I'd be willing to plug one in and see what it did.

I don't think I'd buy a vehicle, however, where I thought I had to have one without having first tried it on a vehicle both with and without.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I think that another way of looking at the pedal commander products is that it gives you a wider range of control.

If, absent the device, I have to press the pedal halfway to get the response I'd like, and with the device I get that response at 1/4 press, I go from having 1/2 travel to 3/4 travel for finer control.
    That is sort of correct, depending on if you are in "eco" or "performance" you will have more granular control or less granular control. See the graph I attached from the manufacturer's web site.

What is incorrect is it alters throttle delay, shifting, etc. It can't. It's invisible to the ECU and beyond.

I have driven the exact same vehicle with and without it, and with different settings. It did nothing I could not do by pressing the pedal faster/slower and less/more. Again, see graph. 100% is 100%. What this changes is 50% is now 70%. Or you can set it so that 50% is 90%. Of course if 'feels' faster because your brain is used to a certain response from pressing the pedal x inches over y seconds and altering that gives you something unexpected. It's still just pressing the pedal further/faster for you (performance) or less/slower (eco)

It did nothing I could not do by pressing the pedal faster/slower and less/more.
    which is all it's meant to do, IMO. Make the experience of pushing the pedal better.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List