Thread: Overland Park, KS allows concealed carry, finally?

Overland Park, KS allows OPEN carry

Can anyone let me know if what my city council just approved allows concealed carry in city limits and whether it allows transporting it in a motor vehicle? Also, news stations are saying that they okayed open carry. Can someone help me decipher the new regulation? Thanks.

The following was approved by the city tonight: http://apps.opkansas.org/City-Govern...-24/PSR-C1.pdf

It references this State document: http://ag.ks.gov/docs/documents/conc...y-statutes.pdf

If this has been allowed, it is because of the work of the Attorney General of Kansas putting pressure on the city council. If so, I like my AG. Let me know your thoughts.
    Last edited by PHPistols; 09-25-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PHPistols View Post
    Can anyone let me know if what my city council just approved allows concealed carry in city limits and whether it allows transporting it in a motor vehicle? Also, news stations are saying that they okayed open carry. Can someone help me decipher the new regulation?
    It certainly is hard to read. D.A.B. has a vested interest in this and is in fact a lawyer (though MO) and may chime in. It does appear to reverse OP's normal policy on open carry, but since the borders between OP and the several surrounding municipalities that don't permit open carry are really hard to see, it's not terribly relevant to anyone's life. I loathe open carry, but it would have been nice if it had made accessible carry in a car legal, because then my non-CCW wife could drive my car from KC to OP without committing a felony.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    It certainly is hard to read. D.A.B. has a vested interest in this and is in fact a lawyer (though MO) and may chime in. It does appear to reverse OP's normal policy on open carry, but since the borders between OP and the several surrounding municipalities that don't permit open carry are really hard to see, it's not terribly relevant to anyone's life. I loathe open carry, but it would have been nice if it had made accessible carry in a car legal, because then my non-CCW wife could drive my car from KC to OP without committing a felony.
    Maybe you can help me then understand if A.4 and A.6. are moot if you have a concealed carry permit (A.6. includes firearm in vehicle).

"Criminal use of weapons" is knowingly;

A.4 says, "4. Carrying any pistol, revolver or other firearm concealed on one's person except when on the person's land or in the person's abode or fixed place of business."

A.6. says, "Carrying in any vehicle a loaded firearm which is under one's immediate control, while on property open to the public, except when on one's land or in one's abode or fixed place of business."

Down in Section D it states, "D. Subsection (A)(4) and (6) shall not apply to persons authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to K.S.A. 75-7c01 et seq."

KSA 75-7c01 is the second link I provided, which I think basically says you need a concealed carry permit from the Attorney General of KS.

Am I reading this correct?

I think we'll have to wait for a lawyer. If it weren't for the Bullet Hole and Whole Foods I might just not go back to johnson county.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    I think we'll have to wait for a lawyer. If it weren't for the Bullet Hole and Whole Foods I might just not go back to johnson county.
    HAHA. I like the Bullet Hole. Have you been to http://ombrange.com/ yet? I have heard about it, but haven't been...

They opened up OC, this had nothing to do with CCW.

BTW, The OMB Guns range is very nice for an indoor range.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    They opened up OC, this had nothing to do with CCW.

BTW, The OMB Guns range is very nice for an indoor range.
    Thanks, my big question is can I (in Overland Park) CCW if I have a permit?

Quote Originally Posted by PHPistols View Post
    Thanks, my big question is can I (in Overland Park) CCW if I have a permit?
    Absolutely. They wrote the state law to disallow any city making more restrictive gun laws. Lots of places, like Lawrence (the Berkley of Kansas) would have banned CCH if they could have done so.

User Tag List