Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the Difference Between a Normal HK45 and the MA Compliant one?

What's the Difference Between a Normal HK45 and the MA Compliant one?

I hate to make a new thread just to ask this, but I can't find the answer anywhere. I'm looking into getting a full size HK45, probably V1, but the only ones I can find say they're MA compliant and are priced pretty low. Anyone know what makes them that way? I did a little reading on MA compliance and it has something about having to have a 10lbs trigger pull (I assume just for the first shot?) and a magazine disconnect. Can anyone confirm the specifics?

I acquired my HK45 V1 while I was a subject of Massachusetts. There are no discernible differences. The mainspring appeared the same. No magazine disconnect or anything silly. I subsequently swapped in a V3 detent to remove the manual safety function. My guess is that HK just has a specific product code for MA. They may be cheaper because nobody wants a firearm that says “MA compliant”. It’s also possible they have a different LCI (loaded chamber indicator) but I doubt that HK would have made such a change. If you want to be 100% sure just call HK they’d likely tell you by phone.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    They come with 10 round mags, but unsure on any difference in the gun itself.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    They come with 10 round mags, but unsure on any difference in the gun itself.
    10 rds is standard for HK 45. No difference -/+ MA BS.

I looked into this exact question and couldn't find a difference. It may just be that HK has told their people "you can only ship these SKUs to MA." That keeps Dan in the shipping department from sending a bunch of guns to MA that are illegal there.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

trigger return spring?

Remembering the TLG tests on M&Ps....wasn't there something about extra strength trigger return springs to up the trigger pull weight for MA pistols? I vaguely recall TLG messing with spring combinations to include a spring from the MA compliant guns.

Anyway, that would be my guess...heavier spring somewhere to satisfy Massachusetts pistol requirements. Could well be wrong about that though.

For a pistol to be approved for sale in MA, it must undergo destructive testing by the labs and entered onto the approved firearms roster. There is also a requirement for a certain trigger pull weight OR a safety. Hence the specific SKUs marked as MA compliant and only come with 10 round mags.

I am 97.98% sure there is no marketable difference between this and a normal SKU. Perhaps a call to HK to confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    For a pistol to be approved for sale in MA, it must undergo destructive testing by the labs and entered onto the approved firearms roster. There is also a requirement for a certain trigger pull weight OR a safety. Hence the specific SKUs marked as MA compliant and only come with 10 round mags.

I am 97.98% sure there is no marketable difference between this and a normal SKU. Perhaps a call to HK to confirm?
    I may call them, just to check for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    Remembering the TLG tests on M&Ps....wasn't there something about extra strength trigger return springs to up the trigger pull weight for MA pistols? I vaguely recall TLG messing with spring combinations to include a spring from the MA compliant guns.

Anyway, that would be my guess...heavier spring somewhere to satisfy Massachusetts pistol requirements. Could well be wrong about that though.
    S&W has a heavy TRS that they used to install in their M&P line to achieve the 10 lb trigger pull. It’s pretty awful. Even dealers would sell and install the apex springs at the time of sale. To my knowledge, HK never did similarly. The entire scheme of “compliance” is such a farce that some manufacturers clearly DGAF and it matters to nobody. S&W has historically been very conservative to meet all the absurd criteria.

Now I'm actually thinking about trying out the V7 LEM HK45. I've never had an LEM before, and it's actually cheaper than the "MA version." I'd been doing light reading on how to make an HK45 V7 LEM into Light LEM, and someone on HKPro at some point had said that a CS rep at HK told them they make the V7 as light LEM because it's been so popular. Anyone know if this is the case? Either way, I'm considering trying it out. I've only gotten the opportunity to dry fire some P30's in LEM, and I liked what I saw/felt.

User Tag List