Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pin gauge set for revolvers

Pin gauge set for revolvers

Since I've got this new revolver coming and I would like to check chamber throats but I have lost access to the complete set of pin gauges that I have used in the past. I want to get a set for my purposes but I don't want to have to buy the big sets that has sizes a bunch of I would never use. That leaves me to buying individuals pieces and my questions.

1- overs(no-go), unders(go) or both?

2- sizes

a- .44 caliber 430, .431, .432

b- .38/357 - .357, .358, .359,

Do I add in a couple to check bores and what would be the appropriate sizes if I did?

My set is a .251"-.500" minus set. I bought this set to measure revolver chambers, throats, bores, auto pistol chambers, bores, etc. This set has worked out perfectly for my uses. I have not felt the need to add a plus set.

Buying individual pin gauges for your use, you might have a look at the SAAMI specs., and maybe buy a few in sizes a bit smaller and larger than the spec. Just in case what you're measuring is not exactly within the expected dimension. I have occasionally run across a bore or throat that is not exactly what I expected...

For 9mm/.38 Spcl/.357, etc. the SAAMI bore spec is .346", for your .44s, the bore spec is .417".

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I like to have at least two that are the size of the chamber to hold the extractor and prevent it from rotating when loosening or tightening the ejector rod. It's way cheaper and I believe they are a closer fit than the tools sold for the purpose by Brownells and others.

I've picked up some half sizes as well. For example, my GP100 throats are loose on a .359 and won't pass a .358; a .3585 passes all six with about the right amount of drag.

When they're cheap on Amazon, they're cheap enough to just get whatever you think you need or want.

I don't worry about barrel bore much because the groove diameters are far more important.

Back before Enco got bought by MSC, they used to have occasional "everything" discounts. I used them to pick up a complete set (three cases) from 0.010 to 0.500 ZZ-.

Pin gauges are something that, once you have them, it changes how you think about working and you wonder how you ever got along without them.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

While small hole gauges have their place , OP would be best served with a cheap pin gauge set from someplace like shars tool, IMO.
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Would a cheap inside gauge be good enough?

My son has set of expanding ball gauges for his job and we have measured a few guns with them, tedious and works ok but only measures a minute section, he can explain he why that is not as good as a pin gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    While small hole gauges have their place , OP would be best served with a cheap pin gauge set from someplace like shars tool, IMO.
    A .251 to .500 has 250 pieces, a whole set seems like alot of waste when i only need a dozen or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    My son has set of expanding ball gauges for his job and we have measured a few guns with them, tedious and works ok but only measures a minute section, he can explain he why that is not as good as a pin gauge.

A .251 to .500 has 250 pieces, a whole set seems like alot of waste when i only need a dozen or so.
    Sadly, US made (vermont , deltronics, etc) pin guages are $3-4 each, a Chinese tool house supplier like shars or CDCO and the whole set is $120ish with a case. These Chinese pin gauges are plenty good enough for checking throats etc. IMO and the price difference between 12 or so us gauges and the whole set is justified with the measuring capability it adds , as alluded to by @OlongJohnson.

You can get Amazon sets even cheaper but I haven't used them and have to think at some point someone is getting the rejects from QC. I have been OK happy with shars /cdco sets (other than origin).
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My sets are Vermont. It came out to $3## something when I got them. Probably won't be able to find pricing like that any time soon in the future. The company that offered it got bought out by a competitor, which suggests they were not sufficiently profitable, something that does happen from time to time to companies that offer substantially better value in the marketplace than their competitors.

I use the gauges for a lot of things, and find the sets to have been a worthwhile investment, but I'm also an engineer and a tool guy. If you're sure you just want the ones for checking a few revolvers, buying individual sizes is likely to be the best bet. Amazon often has Vermont for a few bucks each, which is my preference. Shars is at least reputable for Chinese supply. It broke my heart a little to see "Made in China" on the box when I sprung for Starrett on a new tool a few years back.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I talked with my son after he got off work and he can get individual gauges for a few cents either side of $3 depending on size. Even if I add in some half sizes, gonna be less than $40.

All I'm really wanting do is make sure that the throats are somewhat even and find out what size bullets I need to order. I will eventually get Dougguy to work his magic. He is close enough to where I can drop off, I just need to make arrangements to have them all done at one go.

You will get some surprises

I bought one of the big pin gauge sets, and measured a bunch of my revolvers. No surprises amongst the .38s & .357s.

Cylinder throats on two Model 29 .44s were .428".

Cylinder throats on my .45 acp Model 25-2 were .455" and .456".

While you are at it, get a micrometer to measure 9mm groove diameter after slugging. My Walthers and Berettas are all about .3575"

User Tag List