Thread: Image attachments in posts vs. PMs

Image attachments in posts vs. PMs

Attaching an image to a post gives the option to specify a URL, or upload the image directly from your device.

Name:  image post.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  27.3 KB

Attaching an image to a post only allows specifying a URL; no direct upload is allowed.

Name:  image PM.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  23.6 KB

Can direct upload be allowed for images in PMs? It's not a huge deal, just a little annoying to have to upload a pic to an image site first.

Pretty sure I've done it in PMs on my chromebook. Let me check.

Nope. Not an option now...but I think I used to be able to. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Last edited by blues; 09-30-2022 at 09:20 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post

Can direct upload be allowed for images in PMs? It's not a huge deal, just a little annoying to have to upload a pic to an image site first.
    Not a mod here.... but am elsewhere...

Image uploads take up server space.... Space costs $$ and bandwidth (which is also $$, potentially)
    An image uploaded to a PM takes up that space for the benefit only of the people involved in the PM.
    We made a similar decision to only allow uploads for images in public threads to save space and cost.

Not speaking for decision makers here, just my $0.02 from other places.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Not a mod here.... but am elsewhere...

Image uploads take up server space.... Space costs $$ and bandwidth (which is also $$, potentially)
    An image uploaded to a PM takes up that space for the benefit only of the people involved in the PM.
    We made a similar decision to only allow uploads for images in public threads to save space and cost.

Not speaking for decision makers here, just my $0.02 from other places.
    Also protects the forum, somewhat, from someone uploading something inappropriate in PMs and trafficking it to others. Not that there aren't plenty of ways to be an awful human but it cuts off one really easy obvious one.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I had this same problem yesterday! Have never tried to put an image in a PM previously, just wanted to attach a pic of the tracking number. Interested to see if there is a trick to it.

There's no image attachment upload in PM because PMs are "private" and the underlying image attachment upload implementation lacks any per user access restriction mechanism. By using the attachment ID, all attachments, no matter where they were posted, are visible.
    #RESIST

User Tag List