Thread: Need help

Need help

I am a professional archer, only mention to enlighten on mind ability. I have always struggled with my handgun with low left when pulling up and shooting. I just bought a XD-S and it really was low left. At 15 yards about 8 inches. The groups were within three inches, just not where the sight said it was. I am cross dominant, not ever schooled on technique but am hoping it is a common issue. Help?

When I shoot low and left I am trying to "snap" or "force" the shot when the sight picture pleases me.
    When I just press the trigger and accept a certain amount of sight movement I shoot groups that are more centered.

It could also be a sight adjustment issue although that is less likely if it happens with more than one gun.

There's a target segmented like a pie with lists of shooting faults on it. I don't have a link to it to suggest but I think someone
    posted one a few weeks ago.

Watched a video, seems like I am pulling and gripping moving the barrel down and left. Will try more trigger squeeze only

Low left?

This sounds exactly like my first session with my XDS. I would hazard a guess that you are jerking the trigger and quite possibly putting a lateral bias on the trigger. There are some excellent threads on "trigger control" on this forum. After reading everything I could find I made the necessary adjustments for my problem and started working on them. From 7 to 10 yards my groups are 4 in or better. I am still working on longer range and really love this little blaster. Good luck to you.

The quickest way to self-correct issues like this is to buy some dummy cartridges in your caliber and randomly load them in your magazine. You'll be amazed when the gun goes click and you see how badly you're jerking the trigger. That no-way-to-deny-it feedback will help you address the issue.

A good drill is to have 3 - 5 magazines and start with more dummies than live rounds randomly placed so that you are truly surprised by the shot. As you improve you reduce the number of dummies to 30% (still randomly placed) so that you don't know when the click will come. Altogether that will help you eliminate the flinch while developing the subconcious motion needed for good trigger pull.

Brownells sells dummies in 50 packs for less than $25. By the time you wear them out you'll be much improved.

User Tag List