Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-Dillon Options

Non-Dillon Options

Hey, all. I've been reloading exclusively on Dillon Machines since the late 80s when I started with an SDB. I've always been a Dillon Fanboi, and have loaded tens of thousands of rounds of handgun ammo mostly through 550Bs.

I bought a new 550 in 2019, and it has been a total nightmare. The "primer catch" gets about 1/3 or 1/5 primers in it - at the end of every loading session the floor and workbench in my reloading space looks like brass after a final protective fire. Today I was watching spent primers sprinkle all over the place - like an early Gen4 Glock 9mm erratic ejection. Terrible.

This causes no end of issues with the priming system, as, frequently, those spent primers end up in the workspace for the priming system - causing the moving "shuttle" to catch and have its movement impeded or stopped.

I've also had issues with the powder measure, specifically the small plastic "spacer" in the powder bar has fallen out during routine use at least a half dozen times. Earlier this week it jumped ship and disappeared into parts unknown, causing an "all stop" on loading. After conducting a crime scene examination of the reloading room, I eventually found it wedged into the "works" of the powder system, and was able to recover and re-install it.

With all of these issues, I've only been able to maintain about 200 rds/hour through the machine, constantly having to interrupt operations to unscrew this, that or the other.

"No problem!" I told myself. "Dillon has their awesome 'No BS' warranty. They'll fix me right up!" So I sent them an e-mail, which went un-answered for 72 hours. When they finally got back to me, they suggested I ship the press in it's entirety back to them, at my own expense, and give them a credit card number so they could charge me $80 for "clean and lube" service, during which they would replace/repair any other issues or parts - and charge me for those parts, of course. I'm thinking, conservatively, by the time I ship this hunkajunk to AZ, pay the "service fee" and any parts, and pay to have it shipped back to me, I'm going to be out $200 or more.

That's a VERY long way to start the question: If I want a new progressive system that's NOT made by Dillon, what are the best options? I was getting a hankering for something more "progressive" than the 550 anyway, and, rather than throw money at a problem, I'd rather start over with something better. All experiences and suggestions welcome - just looking for something that will be relatively trouble free.

Thanks!

Th release of the primers is directly related to how deeply your decapper stem is adjusted. I set mine pretty high in sizing dies used in my 550, just enough to reliably decap the cases was enough to calm things down. They playing with it a bit. I suspect that there's some sensitivity to the relationship between the ram height and exactly when the primer is engaged with the decapper pin. Anyway, this worked for me. Since my machine is much older than yours, my machine did not come with the stamped steel guide under the primer slide. That was a pain to diagnose since my machine never had this piece from the factory. I received one in a repair parts kit, figured out what it was for and installed it. That took care of any hitches in my primer slide travel.

Which plastic piece are you referring to in the powder measure? Got pics?
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Watching with interest. I was almost ready to invest in a Dillon. Will wait to see recommendations here instead.

Name:  IMG-5189.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  40.5 KB
    Name:  IMG-5190.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  34.9 KB
    There's a white plastic square with a hole in the middle that rides in the recess in the powder bar. There's a pin that sticks through the moving brass pieces that ties into that plastic square.

I'll double check the depth of my decapping pins - that might help with some of it.

Still interested in hearing about other options - pretty soured by Dillon's current interpretation of the "no BS" warranty.

Apex 10 = pricey!

FA X-10 is less than half money but I saw this over a year ago and it still says coming soon. Doesn't bode well, IMO.

There really isn't any other option, RCBS isn't a player and Hornady's LNL AP sent me running to Dillon. Their single stage stuff is fine, but I gave up on getting it to work. I was an experienced reloader and machinist when I tried to get the Hornady to work. It's just not up to the task.

Site Supporter
    Google Dillon enhancements to find custom parts for your press.

That primer catcher is one of the only things I ever had trouble with on a 550, and I have been using one since 1984. In my experience it might not be tipping down as needed? It relies on gravity and is not that heavy, and the axle is just a thin cotter pin. One time one of mine (I had two) got the pivoting chute bent just a little and it behaved exactly like you describe. I straightened it out and then drilled out the holes in the pivoting piece slightly, and replaced the cotter pin with a thin brad nail.

I know this is off topic, just a suggested resolution.

On topic, if you are looking for something simpler and more reliable and better supported than a 550, that is going to be kinda tough. Not saying that the whole $80 wasn't kinda lame, but am saying there is probably not something else easy out there to transition to.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Dillon's current interpretation of the "no BS" warranty.
    I wonder if their warranty changed. You used to be able to send a press in to be rebuilt for like $80 and everything was included, including shipping back. I got a good deal on a 650 a long time ago and sent it back. It had hundreds of thousands of rounds loaded on it and when they sent it back it was like new. It was kind of a PITA.

I'd hunt around and find solutions for what you've got unless you really only load one caliber, or you really want to increase speed. I have had Lee stuff, a 550, a 650 and now a 1050 and a 550. I know people with Hornady stuff. To me it seems like they all have their issues and it's just a matter of learning what they are and dealing with them.

Hornady AP LNL Press

I’ve had my Hornady LNL for a little over a year…..Dillons were hard to come by for a while.

I’m very satisfied with it…both the quality of the build and the thought that went into it’s design. There are several attachments and improvements to make it even better…..see Bragging Rights Precision Reloading, various lighting setups, Inline Fabrication, etc.

I”ve found the customer service to be very available and responsive on the few occasions I’ve needed it.

I don’t use any kind of bullet or case feeders….pretty basic but that enough for me. It’s a BIG improvement over a single stage press or a turret press such as the Lee. If you wish you can “pimp” it up to be more productive.

Just my thoughts…take a look…lot’s of good YouTube material on the Hornady.

Good luck and keep us informed.

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

I'm going to go all Dillon 550B fanboi here.
    To the OP. So, your Dillon 550B drops spent primers and loses the white slider block now and then and that makes it a "nightmare"?
    Dropping the spent primers is a simple matter of making sure the chute is closed when the ram is up and opens when the ram is down. Easy peasy.
    Yes, I had to fiddle with the silly cotter pin on mine a bit but once adjusted all is good.
    As far as the white slider in the powder bar is concerned, do you have the actuator rod from the shell case holder adjusted properly? Too tight? Is the hole in the slider worn out? Is the plastic slider itself worn out? I'm going to jinx myself here and say mine has never fallen out in 20 years of use and thousands of rounds loaded.
    I have to ask, have you called Dillon and talked to someone there who could walk you through some solutions? They've sat on speaker with me while diagnosing and correcting an issue on the unit.
    Every company on the planet could take lessons from Dillon on customer service and warranty coverage.
    At the end of your op you stated, "just looking for something that will be relatively trouble free." That would be a Dillon 550B. Properly set up and maintained of course, which Dillon is more than happy to accommodate.
    No, I don't work for Dillon. Just a satisfied loader.
    Hope this didn't come out as snarky. Not intended.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

User Tag List